Winter Mondial Projects - 2015 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Winter Mondial Projects - 2015

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Wade, Feb 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Finally have had some nice days here in Maryland. Over the winter I installed new clutch kit, Belts and tensioners, park brake cable, repaired crack in fuel tank weld, replaced all fuel hoses, even from pump to accumulator and then to filter. Replaced all coolant hoses. Installed Nicks XDI ignition. Prettied up the bottom of the car. Rockers, front spoiler. And I almost forgot. Swapped out the 3.0 for a 3.2. You would not think that .2 would be much of a difference but it is. Bottom end is greatly improved. Top end seems about the same. My wife's 94 C-4 is a little faster but not near as cool. Man I love the Ferrari sound!

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Fred, you've been busy!

Did you sell your 3.0? Maybe to the motorless Mondial in s. FL?

3. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #28 YELO T, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    OMG that sign is Killer!!

5. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    As I just bought the car in Jan of this year, and it's already Spring here in Texas.

However, here's the projects completed so far on the new car

Oil change
    Gearbox Fluid Change (huge difference in shifting to 2nd)
    AC Gas Recharge - YES!!! Just in time for hot weather!
    Cold Start Injector Replaced (just today).
    Complete hands/fingers on run-through of entire fuel system - verifying no leaks.
    Cleaning of leather (several times with leather rejuvinator).

Projects Remaining this spring
    Fix non-working passenger window
    Fix non-working sun roof.
    Test/Replace all Fuel injectors (I pulled 12 Injectors from a junk yard yesterday - I should be able to find 8 optimally working ones - especially if I include the 8 already in the car - Note - Mercedes 190E uses the same injectors as my 85 QV)

Projects for Summer: Re-Dye all leather

Project for next Winter - Belts (mine are 3 YO with 5000 miles).

Continual project - Drive the heck out of the car, and have fun.

sid

6. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Greg,

A fried power supply does sound more promising than - "your ECU is **** - and we haven't got a clue where to find one." :(

Tell me that my assumption is correct.

Cheers,

Hank

7. mondo848

mondo848 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    CT
    Full Name:
    Ray Lewis
    Here's what I did this winter to my '91 T cab

Got rid of stupid automatic seatbelts (bonus: appx. weigh reduction; 15lbs)
    Fixed fuel sending unit in tank
    Replaced nasty e-brake cable
    Denso Iridium plugs
    Repaired driver's seat scuffs using dye kit from Color Plus (excellent product, Joanne is a great person to deal with)

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    My Winter project was, essentially, not much at all. Last Fall I developed oil leaks so bad I was worried the car would catch fire. So much smoke out of the grills I called my local wrech about oil seals. He said he would do it in the Spring once he had my supercharged Mark VII done. This is my daily driver so I did some pondering.

Hmmm. One of our posters mentioned a particular stop leak that worked for him and listed a number. I did not locate that particular product so simply purchased one of each and every stop leak for sale at the local AutoZone. That was enough to stop the smoke, but I was still using a quart every two or three hundred miles.

To me that was good enough. The worse that might happen was I would add a quart every one or two tankfuls of gas then deliver the car for new seals in the Spring. Then something weird happened. Specifically, I added a quart based on a cold dip stick reading. That might have been near 750 miles ago. And a proper check, about a month ago, showed an overfill.

That did not bother me since I was confident the consumption would bring it down. It did not. The car has not needed oil at all and is still overfilled. Since it has been overfilled for months I was confident it had not hurt anything. And so I just drive the car. I DO need to paint the wheels though. The touch up spray can has arrived and so I need to do that till I get them repainted.

But it is Spring and and the mountain roads beckon. And since I am approaching 10,000 miles since purchase I have, in my own mind, fully depreciated the initial cost. All else is gravy. FREEDOM. OK, I no longer run 7,700 rpm in 90F weather, which scattered the clutch two season ago. But today I ran between 3k and 6k rpm the entire trip for beer which is a twenty five mile round trip and many many curves. I have deliberately NOT replaced the malfunctioning oil cooler fan so that when oil approaches 230F I back off.

What has needed maintenance in these 10,000 miles? Well, of course I broke the clutch which cost me locally $3,500. And one NAPA Bosche starter for $450. New set of tires after 5k or 6k driving. Otherrwise?

Nothing at all. Just get in, turn the key, and drive away. This is why I bought the car in the first place. To find out about what is all the fuss about Ferraris? Plenty plenty. In the mean time my sister has been driving a Buick. Two times towed in AND a $3500 tranny. I have never been towed in.

So its all gravy from now on!

9. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    #34 DavidJ, Apr 9, 2015
    Winter Stuff (almost finished):
    1. New black carpets replace dirty, bleached out (by the sun) tan carpets.
    2. Oil treatment and preservative for the tan leather.
    3. Fix up a few leather issues and replace the straps that lock the rear seats in the up position.
    4. Got a donut spare tire.
    5. Re-fit the top, it was poorly installed by a PO.
    6. Re-paint the RR fender, LF fender, driver door, front bumper.
    7. Rust proof the inside of the door seams with POR 15.
    8. Fix rust holes on the under car tray.
    9. Replace subwoofers that the PO installed and blew out (under seats).
    10. Fix cassette holder lid, install new leather on lid.
    11. Get an ashtray (deleted by PO).
    12. Normal seasonal service plus flush the brake system.
    13. Install a clear bra to protect the newly painted bumper.
    14. Start to rip out the insane amount of after-market electronics that the PO installed (old analog cell phone stuff, cell phone antenna, etc.
    15. Adjust door locks.
    16. New dummy switch in console.
    17. Install aluminium pedals and dead pedal.

Phew, that's it.

DavidJ
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Wow David I have never seen a speaker mounted under a seat.

11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Awsome. If it were my car I might add a condom dispenser......

12. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Yeah, PO installed custom enclosures. The seats still needed to have some spacers to raise up the seats a bit to clear.

I almost forgot...
    18. Re-dyed steering wheel.
    19. Install condom dispenser ;)

DavidJ

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Sweet!

Quite some stuff! Do you have good sound with these? (I actually never have the radio turned)

Others are quite busy too! :)

14. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    #39 DavidJ, Apr 9, 2015
    I really listen to the Ferrari engine.
    However, the sub woofers were blown so I had Auto Elite replace them while the seats were out. Infiniti brand subs (not using the coaxial tweeters), Boston Acoustics every where else.
    There are 5 1/4" full range and 2" tweeters in the rear, mounted in the convertible roof pockets.
    Boston Acoustics replacements in the doors and dash.
    The stereo actually has quite a nice sound.
    The photo shows one rear speaker set in the pocket. A carpeted cover goes over the speaker. The roof arms fit in the pocket with no issues.

DavidJ

15. mondo848

mondo848 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    CT
    Full Name:
    Ray Lewis
    DAVID, Where did you get the carpet set? Was it a kit or upholstery shop? Looks great.

16. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    That was a Wilton Wool "kit" from GAHH. (gahh.com). I have no affiliation with them. Just happy with the product.
    Something like 14 different pieces.
    Some pieces need to be trimmed to fit, which is good, you get enough to wrap around things, if needed.
    They sell extra by the foot or yard.
    This set was with vinyl edging. They have a leather edge option. Much more $$.

Man, that carpet feels so luxurious.

You know, you really don't know how dirty and bad your old carpet looks until you have a piece out of the car and on the floor to look at it. Yucky dirty and faded.

DavidJ

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Lot's of great work by all this winter,,, now let's drive!

Speaking of, after having the car on jacks for about 2 months and with so many parts out or replaced, I got it completed just in time to enter into the show at Celebration, FL.. In fact, my shakedown cruise was there and back (without a hitch!) :)