Winter in comming. | FerrariChat

Winter in comming.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by markcF355, Oct 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Way up here in the wilds of New Jersey, come winter, we subject our cars to a regular treatment of rock salt. Our road departments leave it all over the road for us to pickup for free whether we want it or not.

So in an effort to prevent my rock salt gatherings from eating my 400, I’ve decided to flood ‘her unders’ with stuff called LPS Labs Hardcoat.

Has anyone used this product? The data sheet says it has a flash point of 105 degrees F. Is this while it’s wet or after it dries?

http://www.lpslabs.com/technical_info/tds/HardCoat.pdf

2. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mark:

I have absolutely NO experience with the above-named product but, generally, when a flash-point is provided with this type of material it is in the "wet", and due to the solvents needed to apply the product. Once dry, it should be O.K. so long as it's not near the exhaust system or cats (if your 400i has them). Perhaps, you should still give the manufacturer a call.

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I am surprised the EPA allows salt to even be used. When that stuff washes down the storm sewers or into streams and rivers it has got to be a disaster! I hear in some places they are talking about not letting private citizens wash their cars because of run-off polution. I would think the salt would be much worse!

4. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's New Jersey.

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Mark,

When I read your answer, I started laughing! Great reply!

Regards,

Art S.

6. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm from Jersey.

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    So am I... :D :D ;)

8. 1ST1MADE

1ST1MADE Karting

Apr 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #8 1ST1MADE, Oct 13, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
    As am I, and they no longer use it around here(s.jersey). The new stuff is a brine solution that they spray the road with(looks like 10 lines on the road) before the snow comes. They still throw salt on the turnpike, specially if they get caught before they have time to put the brine down, or if it's really heavy. I choose to leave the F in the garage till all's clear.

9. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    A winter beater is a better idea. Italian coachwork + wet & salt = rust.

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Its all a matter of choice..........
    I chose to move to Texas where it is 70 degrees in January and that white stuff doesn't fall from the sky :D

11. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm with Dave. We did have some flurries here in central Florida in '85. And I'm from NJ too (loooong ago, moved before Phill Hill won Le Mans!).

If it has cats you may want to avoid the area just above them. I can tell you from experience they can get pretty hot. That's one reason I don't have them anylonger.

Al

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
  13. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #13 aleventhal, Oct 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is no need to undercoat a 400. It has fiberglass floors anyway - nothing down their to rust. Also, FWIW my 400i (#049773) has been through three salty winters with no rust at all - apparently they were also doing Zincrox by the time they go to mine.

A
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    But from where you to duck when a hurricane comes every what...couple years? No thanks guys...Jersey or sweat-bomb Texas. :)

Seattle all the way. No salt (no snow really..unless you want it up in the mountains). No super-heat. No super-cold. :)

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    i remember going through texas in63 at 10 miles an hr. because an ice storm coated everything for several 100 miles. i thing texas was a state by that time

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I wouldn't have a problem driving any F-car in the snow, that would be a lot of fun. But if salt is on the road, I think you're asking for trouble. If it's your daily driver during the winter &is expendable, & shields your other exotics in the garage, so be it. But if you never pulled a battery & its tray, you'd never know about the recesses that exist behind the front wheels/frame rails. If pulling the battery & tray is a big deal, shine some light down between the brake booster & fender to view the area mentioned. Same with the back wheels, they throw stuff all over the place, I'd think springs/space frame/other pieces not coated w/newer Z-coat or cars earlier than '83 might take a beating. This being said only if you don't want to expense your V-12 GT.

17. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    That is PRECISELY why I bought and drive my 400i (#049773) daily: Life is too short not to drive a Ferrari for transportation, and I can't bear to put my others (365BB #18265, Dino #10704, TR #65247) through the hell that is a north eastern winter. FWIW, I fully expected the 400i to disolve and be discarded once it did, but three winters later it shows no rust at all - ready for a fourth!

Alex

18. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What exit? :)

19. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Its not the body that scares me, its the frame. The frame area next to the exhaust is really prone to rust on the 4XXs.

20. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    .....every point you made........agreed.
    After I posted, I thought I could've edit to 'If it's expendable' along with 'Deep concerns about hidden wells & recesses exposed to the long term ills of salt.' Rarely has carbon steel ever come out of it alive. And I have noticed a # of multi-Fcar owners desiring &/or owning 400s as expendable daily drivers, it's your & their prerogative to do so. Accept my apologies for any unintended offense.

Bruce

+1!

21. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    My Hero! great picture!
    I put 9k on mine last year, the more I drive it the more I want to. The most boring commute can be fun in a Ferrari!

22. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #22 dstacy, Oct 14, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
    ahhh my northern friend you forget how large Texas really is. Try to remember that you can leave my house and drive 800 miles and STILL be in Texas. I've lived here 20 years and I still find it amazing how big this state is.

Dallas is over 250 miles NORTH of me.

You probably crossed the northern section of the state.

23. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Mark,

Cute :)

I'm in the Princeton area so the exit system doesn't work all that well...

I guess it could be anything from TP exit 9 down to 8a or 8.

Regards,

Art S.

24. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How do you find your way home, being so far off the Parkway?

25. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Mark,

Its difficult, they don't know how to write out here, so there are no road signs. Also, the road can be tough going; especially with all the hillbillys roaming around and the horse drawn carts blocking the dirt roads... ;) :D

Regards,

Art S.