Winter beater, peugeot 205 GTI,bmw E30 325 or Cadillac STS ? | FerrariChat

Winter beater, peugeot 205 GTI,bmw E30 325 or Cadillac STS ?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ParhamK, Oct 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

E34 540 or E30 325

1. E34 540

2. E30 325

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    What would you rather choose?

This video had me hooked on the peugeot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-XI9cITIp4

I know I have asked this question before but I trust your guys opinion and I cant decide :)

thanks

2. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
    I’d go with the e30 325. It’s a solid, reliable car, and most importantly for winter rwd! V6 sounds great, and from the owners I know just requires regular oil checks to keep it in top condition.

205 Gtis are fantastic cars and can be great fun on tight twisty roads, but you’ll probably have difficulty finding one that isn’t falling apart, and when you do chances are the seller will want stupid money.

Sadly I don’t know anything about the Cadillac to comment.

Just my opinion though

Regards

Martin

3. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    Hehe V6, I assume you mean I-6 :)

Thanks alot! Yeah I think a black E30 with white rims, beige leather interior would do it for me during the winter.

4. Martin H

Martin H Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin H
    oh yeah, it's a straight 6 isn't it, my bad! Fantastic cars though, can't go wrong with an e30

5. Stolit

Stolit Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    La Habra Heights, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    My brother used to have an E30 325 sedan that wore its age remarkably well. If you want a used car that looks and drives new, you may have your car. Unfortunately, it was a complete lemon in every sense of the word. The car had endless gearbox, vaccum, and electrical problems. It was on a tow truck a great many times, and after dumping thousands into repairing it, he eventually sold it for less than he paid for it.

I wouldn't advise buying an E30 325. However, I did like the car (apart from the engine) when it was working properly, so if you are willing to put up with the repairs and breakdowns, I believe it may be a good bet.

I've heard negative things about the reliability of the Cadillac STS, but I have no firsthand experience. I know nothing about the Peugeot.

6. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Gallardo, it is AWD afterall :)

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I would probably get the STS, just as I vaguely remember the E30 not doing so hot in accidents...

8. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
  9. Harmonyautosport

Harmonyautosport Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    New York
    I daily drive an E30 325, I love the car to death. Its great on gas, never let me down, and handles great.

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I would suggest staying away from the E30 325 as a winter car - it is fun to drive and handles great due to low weight, but the fact it's so light and RWD makes it a very poor car in the snow. I had to put bags of salt and cinderblocks in the trunk to give it enough weight over the wheels as to not be too slippy, but it is not confidence inspiring in incliment weather.

11. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    My 325 has over 210,000 miles on it and I drive it daily. Never had the head off, still get 27 mpg on the highway and use less than a quart of oil in between oil changes.

Handles great. Just watch the rear a little on the slick stuff and anticipate the movement and you will be all right. It you want good traction, go for the 325iX, the AWD car. I had one back in the late 80's and could go anywhere reasonable.

12. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    #12 ParhamK, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    thanks for the tips guys. I know the E30´s can be slippery on snow but that´s part of the fun ;) Everyone pretty much drives E30´s during the winter over here.

Im looking at several cars right now, instead of the STS, im thinking about a Chrysler Stratus (info anyone?). But the car I am most interested in is the one shown in the pic below.

E30 323

Lots of equipment, dvd player/screen, good heat,low mileage (for a E30), winter tires/summer tires, lowered, lots of audio mods (not that I care), sports exhaust and the usual bla bla. And he wants 2500$ for it....dirt money in other words.
    Suggestions anyone?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I had a 2003 STS.

The car was bullet proof and phenomenal in foul weather (snow, ice, rain,).

It is by far, the best FWD car I have ever driven. I actually prefer the styling of that car as opposed to the new STS.

14. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    For $2500, how can you go wrong. They are a lot of fun to drive stock. With a few mods they can really make you grin for what you will spend. The E30 is pretty easy to work on yourself. Just go get a shop manual at Auto Zone, O'Reilly's or another parts store or whatever kind of auto related store you might find in Sweden and read it. Lots of pictures to help you along the way.

Mine is still rock solid 20 years later and I feel very safe in it. It does not surprise me with unexpected moves. Though not fast in todays terms, it will run up well and run all day long at 80-100 mph and feel very confident doing it.

Can you tell I am biased toward the E30?????

15. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    Alright the choices are down to 2 options. The guy is coming tomorrow from denmark to pick up my RPB piraya, and I have made the conclusion that I will go the german way.

The cars I that Im choosing between are:

BMW 540 E34 and BMW 325 E30

The E30 is sportier, more retro and a little cooler, but it isn´t as fast, it doesn´t got a V8, and isn´t as comfy.

The E34 is more of a highway racer, more modern, fast enough for a winter beater, aluminium V8, comfortable.

What would you choose? I swear im not going to ask that question again hehe.

16. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The e39 540 I drive now is not a good winter car, too long with the ASC kicking too much for too long making it very slow going around turns in show and going up steep hills with turns is a nightmare. Best winter tires I could find doesn't seem to help much.

I just turn ASC off and rally it around turns, much faster and more fun.

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    E34

E30s were not particularly safe cars...

18. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I thought STSs were RWD, while DTSs were FWD?

19. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    STS and DTS are front I believe, it was the CTS that is RWD

20. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    Bought a 1998 E39 528 instead...very pleased :)