Wing Window Latch Adhesive | FerrariChat

Wing Window Latch Adhesive

Discussion in '206/246' started by RMRClub, Nov 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RMRClub

RMRClub Rookie

Mar 7, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    While playing racket ball in the Dino, accidentally hit the wing window latch. Any advice on the best adhesive to remount Image Unavailable, Please Login ? Thank you

UroTrash likes this.
  2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    It looks like it has been repaired before and modified with a larger square base. I recommend to lightly sand the glass and base with a dremel grinder stone and use a two komponent epoxy glue.

Best Peter

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I have found that Loctite 233841 Super Glass Glue works just fine.

4. RMRClub

RMRClub Rookie

Mar 7, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you, I'll give it check.

have a great day

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Loctitie 326 in conjunction with Loctite 7649 activator works extremely well. All of the quarterlight window catches in my Dinos are mounted using that and only one has fallen off in the last 6 years. A bit of cleaning and then re-fitting using these products has seen it stay firmly in place for the past 2.5 years. Mounting the catch using a small shim has also helped reduce the pressure on them.

dudlow likes this.
  6. RMRClub

RMRClub Rookie

Mar 7, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks all. Got some Locktite epoxy. Now, I just have to wait for the Colorado snow to let up and the temp to get a little warmer before I apply. Thanks again for all of your help. Have a great holiday season.

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I reduced the sealing pressure by hot knife trimming the black plastic striker.
    :)
    When you close the latch there is too much rise to the jamb point leading to breaking forces. Reduce those forces, trim the back side of the black plastic jamb to retain visible profile. A little tricky as it is double rivetted in blind.
    This is best done as the frame is out of the car

Apologies for shameless use of Dino Compendium for background photo
    :)

Attached Files:

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 synchro, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    The new adhesives are far better than 1960's technology but that focus seems rather narrow.
    The systematic problem is that there is too much pressure at the latch (my adhesive held, the glass broke a dish shaped chunk off, see photo). Focusing on adhesives is the brute force solution but can we reduce the pressure overall to mitigate the use of super adhesives?

Found a better way to reduce sealing pressure with a side bonus of access to fully clean the chrome; remove the black striker pad and grind the back down so sealing is at a lower height.
    Use a pick, remove the cover then drill out the rivets. Grind down the back side to reduce sealing pressure on the latch, rivet back in and insert cover.

I also took the chance to add an angle to the take up ramp, polish the black plastic and clean the chrome underneath the pad
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Jon Hansen likes this.
  9. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Scott, what an elegant solution! It looks completely original, yet solve the issue of too much pressure on the window latch/glass. I too have re-glued the latch to the glass, only to have the pressure on the latch pop a dished sliver of glass off of the wing window. I never thought of thinning the backside of the striker pad to reduce the force. Great idea!

10. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    How did you grind the back side of the plastic piece?

11. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    Another solution is to glue the latch to a metal washer of the same diameter and then glue the washer to the glass. This will lift the latch 1 mm away from the strike plate, so there is never any tension on the latch.

Eugene

PS I have a few extra reproduction strike plates (3D printed). They're available on eBay or PM me here if anyone is interested.

12. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    '
    Can Concours judges see this as different?