Windshield washer fluid container repair | FerrariChat

Windshield washer fluid container repair

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PV Dirk, Aug 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #1 PV Dirk, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've posted this before but now have a picture. Couldn't find my own prior thread.

Does anyone know how the black portion comes out? My float has sunk and I'd like to pull this out, dry it out and maybe reseal it as needed. Want the warning light on my control panel to go out.

I tried prying with screwdrivers but was only willing to apply so much pressure. It almost looks as if there is a rubber grommet that the unit slips into. Not sure if it should all come out or if the center will come out. I appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hmm, the float either opens or closes the circuit, I don't remember which. Is the warning light on when the connecter is unplugged?

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The float sank. When I lift it with a spring hook the warning light goes out but then it sinks again and the light comes back on.

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    If I remember correctly, the sensor just has to be pushed/pulled hard from the inside to the outside through the grommet. It will need some side-ways wiggling. The grommet can be taken out after the sensor has been removed. the float is attached to the rod with a C-clip at the bottom. You can replace it with a piece of styrofoam :)

5. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    PV

I replaced my Mondial float assy. with one I found on eBay a couple years ago. I think it pulls out of the rubber grommet. You might try some wd40 or soap to help.

I actually had to replace the pump and the float.

I saw a tank for sale on eBay a few weeks ago, but I don't remember if it had the float assy.

It may have been at Ferrparts or Rutlands.

Good luck.

Jerry
    DRG

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The reason that I asked is that you can turn off the warning light by either keeping the sensor wire unplugged or by using a jumper wire (whichever works). At least until you're able to fix the problem. :)

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thanks Wade, I probably should have unplugged it but I have a habit of staring at the annoying light until I finally decide to fix it. I once had the external lights warning come on. After a few weeks I removed cleaned and reinstalled every bulb until I found the culprit.

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thank you, Jerry and Afterburner. I'll get some lubricant in there and get after it again. Appreciate the confirmation.

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I used some silicon spray intended for maintaining the door gaskets.

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #10 PV Dirk, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's great improvisation, any excuse to empty a bottle of wine hey:)

I have the exact same problem and I simply pulled the connector from the water container and joined the 2 contacts together and the light went out. I could not remove the sensor either but did you manage it by pushing from the inside out? I will try the same, just need to buy a bottle of wine now:)

Bottoms up:)

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    It really didn't want to come out. I was prying with two screwdrivers between the sensor and the grommet in an upward direction. I used silicone spray lubricant. The bottom edge of the sensor did end up getting a bit deformed by the screw driver action and in the end it came out with the grommet. Even though the sensor would rotate in the grommet it didn't want to slip out, it has a one way barb of sorts that keeps it in place. Maybe I needed more lubrication?

13. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    That looks better than mine when the float shaft rusted off I pulled the unit and plugged the hole with a wine cork and jumpered the wires to turn off the light. Have been intermittently looking for replacement unit for a few years with no luck.

14. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    In a similar vein, my washer fluid pump came loose due to a corroded locking washer that holds it in place ... part is not listed by Ferrari you have to get the whole tank/pump assy ... any ideas?

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'd start with the dismantlers. Ferrparts has sold me some silly little bits. Also I found someone once who was selling a lot of mondi parts on ebay at one time. I sent him an email and he had the bits I needed. Good luck.

If just a locking washer you might bring it into a good hardware store to see if they have something, then possibly fabrication if you know anyone with metal tools who wants a project.

16. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Like how you went rogue on the repair!

17. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    If yours has not given up yet, it will. It's a brass or brass plated washer (or more correctly a push nut) that sits inside the tank and retains the pump. Silly design. Over time it corrodes and eventually it breaks, when your pump will leak/come loose. It would be nice to figure out a solution for more than just my case (my car is an 81 Coupe w sunroof). Someone recommended glueing the pump in with silicone, which would be a last resort.