windshield repair or replace? | FerrariChat

windshield repair or replace?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by kosmo, Apr 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    can a crack say > 9-10in be repaired? Im guessing no so is there any benefit going w/ an OEM vs aftermarket? thanks

2. Fenivision

Fenivision Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    I'm pretty sure a crack that size couldn't be repaired. Usually the rule of thumb is that if it spiders out, you need a new windshield.

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    No it can not be repaired. What can be done to prevent the crack from continuing is have a small hole drilled at both ends of the crack. I have done that for a small crack. Yours is a bit longer and depending where it is or does it hurt your view of the road you may chose to replace the windshield.

I do not what type of car you are talking about. If it is an expensive car like BMW or Mercedes Benze a cheaper option is ro go to an independent windshield shop. They can get the same factory glass for 25 cents on the dollar. After market and OEm can be the same glass. I did after market on a BMW M3 and saved alot of money. The glass markings on my after market were the same. At least you can look into it.

Good luck to you.

Lee