Windshield Post Color | FerrariChat

Windshield Post Color

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Subito Grigio, Mar 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    As I look critically at Mondial side views - especially those with a person sitting in the front - the seating position seems too far forward. It looks as though the driver is chauffeuring the engine? (That's about right, given the massive size of the engine stuffed in the back!)

Anyway - it occurs and appears to me that the far-forward position of the windshield is emphasized by any paint color other than black.

I realize the purists would never paint the windshield frame black; and in some cases the black frame might not work - but for my '83 Cab (Grigio/Black) it will work for me.

I'm also going to raise the front seats 1" as discussed in another thread.

What do you folks think about the black frame concept. I noticed a strong positive reaction to a red Mondial picture under another thread concerning new Mondial concepts for our cars - but the black paint on frame was not directly addressed there as I recall.

Thanks!

2. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I don't get it.

And when I'm it: I don't see it.

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I have never seen a black windshield frame on a cabriolet. Not sure if I would like it, but I would go for wrapping in case the end result would not be satisfying.

4. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    Im interested in this idea, but recommend photo-shopping it first, and upload the pictures.

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Definitely an extreme version of the cab forward look, although the same could be of many mid engine cars, kind of comes with the territory. Some visual tricks with colour might alter the perception a bit, but I doubt would have significant visual effect to offset the basic impacts of the layout. I think the blacked out frame was done on the Honda NSX in conjunction with the aircraft canopy look they were trying to emulate. But in a Mondial Cab, one looses further design flexibility.

6. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy Rookie

Oct 21, 2011
    I've got a 1983 cabriolet, rosso corsa with black interior. The windshield frame had been painted a low gloss black prior to me purchasing the vehicle. Against all the other black of the interior, trim, weather strip, etc..... the window frame blends in and basically goes away rather than standing out. I personally like the look.

7. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    My 87 coupe came with so-so window trim when I bought it in 2012. In places it seem to be worn through and what ever was below the black color was becoming visible as a shiny aluminum color. Had FZ Restroation in Livermore, CA repaint all the window trim in black. Results are excellant. With the black leather interior it all looks nice to me.

8. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Pics?

9. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Again, would love to see this.

10. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy Rookie

Oct 21, 2011
    Sorry, I don't have any pics showing my black windshield frame and the car is currently in winter storage 200 miles from my house, so I don't have easy access to take a few pics for you.

11. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I think the OP is talking about painting the "A" pillars and complete windshield surround, which is normally body color?

My windshield "frame" is black on a Rosso body and until this thread, I did not realize it was supposed to be another color.

Or am I missing something here?
    Alden

12. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy Rookie

Oct 21, 2011
    #12 Spacecowboy, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    Thx for the upload, oooo i like it - but need a few more views.
    My pink mondial machine polished down to local white undercolour spots will be repainted in summer hopefully.
    Think still to paint the frame red, but then later wrap it black so the next owner (or myself) can reverse the decision.

14. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    So, like I thought, that is the entire surround painted black, "A" pillars and all, not just the 3/4" or so, windshield "frame."

Need to see it from the side.
    Alden

15. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    It is an interesting change. First blush reminds me of a C4 Corvette.

16. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Looks like a tint border at the top, I did that to mine also.

17. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    #17 bencollins, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    That's right.

And

The side view of black windshield frame with black cabriolet top down DE-emphasizes how far forward the windshield is.

Black windshield frame might only look good with black top cabriolets.

Again - I am trying to de-emphasize the far forward windshield and seat location by doing this.