windshied wipers-park position issue | FerrariChat

windshied wipers-park position issue

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by gsfent, Jan 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Seems the wipers have found their own vision of where they think they should park after swipe of the windshield!! (most have been that exposure to the British cars and their Lucas electrics :)).

Recently got caught is some mild rain. Running wipers on intermittent. After a while it seems that the wipers would "park" slightly higher after a few swipes. After a few minutes it was clear the wipers park setting was becoming less accurate (higher on the windshield) until they finally parked in their vertical position, where I left them.

After coming back to the car, wipers didn't move, so I thought blown motor. Great. A few days later I manualy reset them to the parked position, and gave a swipe just for grins. I got 1 swipe! The wipers parked slightly higher, so no more swipes so as not to tempt fate.

I am assuming my motor is still good, but I can't seem to find anything on how the park position limiter works on our motors. Is there a link someone can point me to or a DIY explanation of some adjustment?

If integral with the motor, is there a cross reference part for the wiper motor? The Ferrari part price is eye watering for what it is..................

Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    People often do not run their Ferraris in the rain and thus the windshield wipers do not get much exercise. I started running mine intermittent in the car wash. They are still weak on a dry windshield. But run almost normal when raining.

I would set up a sprinkler to wet down the windshied and just let them run. Might even add a battery charger and do it for hours.

PS: even my well exercised wipers will stall on a dry windshield.

3. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    The problems I've had with windshield wipers deciding to park where they like have mostly been due to loose nuts on the linkage down under the scuttle. May be worth checking for tightness. Total agreement with all those who say exercise the wipers when you can (unless you live in the UK and drive in the plentiful downpours!)

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi 308.

Yeah, there are various ordinary nuts/bolts under that vented screen. I hate opening that thing up. Need an entire selection of sheet metal screws to get it back in place. And well, living in the UK you might not need a sprinkler system.

I recommend you tend the wipers while they are wet, not on intermittent and are on full speed. Which is something of an oxymoron, I realize. Then just watch them. I do not know if you can just spray the links with WD-40 or white lithium.

The wipers only really need to keep wiping when wet. If intermittent is deficient then just run them at high or low speed. And I seriously doubt a new motor will help. The one in your car probably has so few hours on it you could honestly sell it as near new. Week wires, stiff lubricant 25 years old. Those are my designated bandits!

But good luck in any event.

5. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks. Will check to make sure everything is tight. I thought the motor would have a "park" setting, but it seems that if it does, there is no adjustment.

I only use the wipers when it is wet, and they do work better (obviously). Intermittent is appropriate for a light drizzle. Slow was too much the last time she was out. I changed out the blades recently, so they should be good.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Jerry,

As long as you have wipers when it is raining you are one fortunat sob. I have been staring at the wiper blades and have yet to discover the secret of swaping them out. I know this is a simple matter, but I am a less then simple driver.

Eventually I will figure it out.

7. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Swapping out the blades? Easy.

There is a release tab, usually push and then pull the blade down towards the ground. It will then slide up and over the arm. Installation, as they say, is the reverse.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mOm2u9YqwA First style is what we have.

One trick is to turn on wipers and turn ignition off at the top of the cycle. Makes getting to the blades easier. Remove key so you do not accidently turn back on, or your can scratch your windshield.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Living in Seattle my wipers get plenty of exercise, however they always park higher if the windshield is dry, such as you used the windshield washer on a dry day. I have previosuly taken the scuttle off and lubricated everything, which did help a lot but didn't eliminate the park location issue.

I suggest that there may be enough flex and slop in the various linkages that when there is more drag on the blades, everything "stretches" out a bit resulting in the wipers being in a higher position, while the motor and switch are where they should be. I can't confirm this, but just a thought and to let you know the problem is pretty common.

9. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    If you use Rain-x don't run your wipers on a dry windshield, they will grab that surface like a spider monkey. I use silicon spray on my wiper blades every month, it keeps the blades pliable and extends their life considerable. Just spray some on a towel and wipe the rubber blades, cleans and protects them from the elements and lack of use. cheap insurance

10. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    #10 308mon, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    You have no idea how helpful this small piece of information was for me. I was looking for a hook sort of release and now know why I did not find one!

Thanks again!

12. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks. Not a fan of Rain-X unless you apply on a regular basis. Blades are new, but silicon does work, I agree.

@ FamilyCar

Info about slop in linkage makes some sense. I will look at that when I get a chance. I was using the wipers in a steady drizzle, so there was plenty of moisture. I don't remember this problem with the park position previously, but it is not often the Mondy gets caught out in the rain!

Regards,
    Jerry

13. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I find that if I lift the wipers off the windshield when they are parked too high they will come back down in the correct position, which tells me it is due to tension in the system that is relieved when they are not dragged on the windshield. Who knows--maybe the arms themselves are flexing.

Let us know what you find since now I'm curious. My car is unfortunately stuck in the garage for a while so I can't do any testing myself.

14. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    #14 308mon, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If possible have a look/inspection of the links circled in red to see if this is causing any problem with wiper operation and position.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks! Under the cowling, correct? (not in front of the car at the moment.....).

Regards,
    Jerry

16. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Just wondering how this got solved because I have the same thing now, parking position of the wipers is too high and when they start to work, they first go down by 2 inches and only then go up.

17. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi ,

Regarding the wiper motor of our Mondial , the Motor is robust . I thought my motor was kaput , but changing the wiper relay ( Sourced from an Alfa Romeo , bought it from our co member Alden ) and a new Bosch Cube relay for the wiper motor my wiper functions perfectly like a Toyota . It has intermittent , medium , and fast Speeds and the wiper parks were its supposed to be . I had it tested last Sunday driving the car in heavy rain and it worked.

Hope this helps ,

Luigi