Windows stopped working | FerrariChat

Windows stopped working

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, May 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Typical 400 electrical gremlin but has anyone had both of their windows suddenly stop working and the temp/oil pressure gauges go all the way to the right when either of the switches are pressed either up or down? This happens with the ignition on but only the temp gauge moves if the ignition is off.

Not only that, when I turn the sidelights on with the ignition off the Fuel gauge goes all the way to the right unless I turn the dashboard dimmer to counter clockwise until it clicks (I assume this is the off position). If the ignition is on the temp gauge also goes 3/4 to the right. Everything was working fine when I put her away at 7pm last night - very odd indeed!

There are other variables but you get the general picture. It's hot out (so was yesterday when i put her away) and I'm out for the day so have limited tools with me so whatever advice I get will be applied when I (hopefully) get home.

Thanks, Russell

2. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    This sounds like you may have lost a grond somehwere in the system.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo

3. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Thanks Howard, I assumed it would be an earth, just wondered if anyone had encountered this problem and could point me in a direction as to where to check first.

4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hi Rustytractor,

I confirm I had this issue on my 1978 400 Auto (windows not working together with erratic indications), following the installation of a "standard" cigarette lighter (to replace the Italian version), this was fixed by proper grounding.

Jean-Michel

5. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Jean-Michel, that's very interesting. My car still has the original cigarette lighters fitted and I did disconnect the front one a few months ago because the connections had been played around with by the previous owner.

I'll check to see if there's a problem in this area ASAP, if it is this it's really odd that it was fine when I put it away yesterday and had a problem when i started her up today.

I suppose this is typical of an old ferrari.

Thanks for taking the time to post this suggestion.

6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Jean-Michel, I had 5 minutes this morning so quickly reconnected the cigarette lighter. As soon as both connections were in place the gauge problems occurred with or without the ignition on.

There's no guarantee that the problem is due to this wiring as it may be just another consequence of a bigger problem but at least I've found something else which causes the gauges to short out.

I'll keep you posted when I know more,

Russell

7. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    There are several ground straps under these cars. Every one of them is bolted to a painted surface on the tube frame. The only connection to groud is a couple of bolt threads engaging the tube. I sanded off the paint, smeared the bare metal with dielectric grease and bolted the ground strpas back on.
    As a result the window travel speed improved as did the wind shield wiper speed.
    The painted surfaces account for a lot of gremlins.
    Greg

8. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Thanks Greg, duly noted.

Now I just need to have a word with my mechanic friend and see if I can borrow his ramp at the weekend.

9. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    So I arrange with my friend to use his ramp this morning to check the ground straps under the 400 to see if this cures the window and crazy gauge problems but in true old Ferarri style the problem wasn't there when I got the car out of my garage - typical !

That said, the original problem I first encountered whereby the indicator lights on the dash both illuminate when the sidelights are turned on was back (this tended to happen when it was cold or damp but always went away after a while when the engine warmed up).

We're going to check the ground straps underneath today and see if anything obvious stands out or if a general contact clean up and reconnect solves the problem. Will keep you posted.

Due to the way things go wrong and then fix themselves I've decided to name the 400 'Christine' !

10. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Found 3 ground wires under the car inc main battery ground and 2 on the gearbox. All seemed ok when removed but cleaned all and refitted with conductive grease anyway. Car was fine for hours but windows stopped working and the gauge problem returned later in the day (although went away after a brief period). Any one have a window wiring diagram as this will show the window grounding points.

One thing I forgot to mention is that a remote set alarm is fitted which also locks the doors (it works but looking at the remote it seems pretty old to me - maybe even going back to the 80's). Any thoughts ?

thanks, Russell.

11. anxpert

anxpert Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Oceanside, CA
    Full Name:
    Enrique Mar
    Chasing a few electrical gremlins myself for the headlight motors, I found a few of the leads within the white connectors on the main electrical board loose with an obvious gap that would preclude good contact.

A few of the connectors showed sign of heat build up due to such fault.

The high amp draw of the motors combined with the loose connector shorted the connecting point on the printed circuit board.

Would consider pulling the connectors on the board and verifying you have a nice tight female end ( no pun intended ), and at a minimum eliminate that possibility.

From my inspection, it was obvious that certain electrical components are grouped . What may seem to be a ground problem, could be voltage feedback.