Windows : left and right share the same relay | FerrariChat

Windows : left and right share the same relay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by laperriere, Aug 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    As I drove back from the mechanics place, I opened a bit the driver's window. The engine groaned a bit, the window went some inches down and then nothing. Nothing on the right side as well. None of the switches did action the windows any longer. I was a bit disappointed since it already happened once, I specifically asked the mechanics to fix it and he said he did.
    Anyway, I drove back home, checked the fuses were ok and called the mechanics who said the two switches were dead. I was uncomfortable with this explanation. The two switches dead at the very same time ? Avian influenza victims ? Twin brothers commiting synchronized suicides and leaving their mother in tears ? I had a look at the scheme representing the car relays. What I discovered is that the left and right windows commands do not share an unfortunate mother but a relay, a 0332014113. The luck is that I had just received new fuel pump relays, that had been fitted on the car. The ref being the same, I took away the existing window relay and installed one of the old pump relays that was left. It has worked, lucky day.
    Olivier

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Olivier

One of the joys of Ferrari ownership! Sometimes they like to test your brain to see if you can solve a problem here and there. I am glad that you applied some logic to the mechanic's poor diagnosis of the problem and that you investigated the wiring diagram and relay. With basically only two different types of relays in the 400i series, it is easy to swap a couple of relays around to see if that fixes a problem. It also makes it easier to carry a couple of spares since each one works in so many of the positions in the relay panel.

Happy motoring!

John

3. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    The 308 section is replete with threads about slow windows and their cure. Bottom line is cleaning the window motor stuff and adding one or two relays in the door to eliminate the voltage drop attendant with long wire path and poor switch contacts.

The one relay fix grounds the motor directly without having to use a ground back at the switch. The two relay fix involves bringing battery voltage into the door and applying battery voltage directly to the motor, that in addition to the ground relay fix.

When this is done, the motor will operate at full voltage, not the 8v otherwise. Plus the high current will NOT flow through the switches and inboard relay sparing them for a long life of leisure.