Window Tint "Fix-it" Ticket - Any way out? | FerrariChat

Window Tint "Fix-it" Ticket - Any way out?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Guaruja, Feb 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Guaruja

Guaruja Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Andre R
    So I feel like I just won the lottery. I've had cars tinted for about 10 years now - and never once had an issue. Even been pulled over for other things (speeding, etc.) and never once got even a mention about the tint.

Today - got pulled over by CHP on the 101 - for no other violation but tint. Thought they had to get you for a moving violation first - then as an addition write you for the tint??

They were training some newbie - using me as a training specimen... It's like a million to one shot getting pulled over for tints, no? haha

Anyways - anyone know of any tips on getting out of it in the future?

Also - any shops in Southbay area that will give me a good deal on removal - and then an hour later after CHP check off - putting the tint back on? :)

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    now that Cali is totally broke, they'll give you any ticket at any time, for any reason :(

how dark is your tint? I ask b/c I have 30% on my 997 and I know at some point I'll get a ticket for it.

3. Guaruja

Guaruja Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Andre R
    That's what I had on my car - 30%...

I think it was just bad luck. Like I said - been pulled over about a dozen times and NEVER any mention of my tint! :(

4. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    To take off the tint: You can use a hair dryer + TINT-OFF from Walmart. Just heat up the tint from one corner and start peeling. Clean any residue with the TINT-OFF. Should not take you long at all. The tint will be be reusable.

To put them back on: Any good tint shop in your area should be able to do that for you.

Or you can neg with the tint shop to take off the old tint first, wait a few days (to clear your ticket), then come back to them for a new tint?

5. Guaruja

Guaruja Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Andre R
    Yeah my plan is to have the same shop do both off and on.

Have you ever had a fix-it ticket? Can I do everything on the same day?

Off - then ticket checked - then tint on again?

6. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    yes - I had the same ticket the first day when I first bought my SL on the way driving home :(

After the tint is removed, just need show up at a police station (try to find one that is not so busy) or ask a police officer to take a look at the car. He/She then signs off on the ticket. You mail it in - done. Should be 5 to 15mins at most (5 mins to find a non-busy officer + 1 min to look at the windows + 10mins to chit chat about the car).

Good Luck

7. Guaruja

Guaruja Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Andre R
    Cool thanks!

Yeah - it's more of a hassle than anything - because the tint goes right back on after the sign off :)

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The odds are a lot higher these days that you'll get another ticket. You could drive around with your windows down all paranoid :) You might want to chance it another time but if it happens again probably not worth it. Personally it's a great excuse for them to pull you over and could end up costing you some how in important time or they nail you on some other stupid thing.

9. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    tell them to f off and just pay the ticket. My personal favorite.

10. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have 20% on the driver's and passenger's windows (blk/blk Exlporer). The rest of the windows came with factory tint and I put limo (5%) on top of that.

I'm not 100% sure, but doesn't the fine also go up each time as well?

11. Guaruja

Guaruja Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Andre R
    I think it does go up - but in my view... one ticket every 10 years is worth it....

12. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #12 Flash G, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Got pulled over TWICE in one week for no front plate. I haven't been pulled over for not having a front plate in probably 15 years.

I think they're definitely putting the pressure on to "collect more funds for the state."

:cool:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" Jeez, no kidding. They're doing it for your safety or whatever that excuse is. :)

14. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    dont worry, gas tax going up, sales tax going to be over 10%, getting pulled over for anything they can think of, pot holes every where...Born and raised here and its making me want to move. Oh yah, i forgot at least we have the weather..b.s..

15. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    I thought 30% was the acceptable limit
    http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
    Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
    Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
    Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

Do you have the original receipt showing 30% tinting was installed?

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    If that's true, good for me. but the guy who installed it made me sign a waiver acknowledging that I wanted illegal tint (probably so I don't ask for a refund after getting a ticket ;))

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    neither of my cars have front plates. only gotten 1 ticket so far (while parked on the street near UCLA); I'm sure that will change :(

18. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    that is the latest and greatest now..they issue you no front plate tickets at the meters..

19. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #19 luv2detail, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
    Yep. I actually got one in '03ish when I lived in Westwood. It wasn't at a meter. My car was parked on the street in front of my house.:mad:

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if it's on city property they can cite you too...they actually send cops through the city owned lots at LAX writing tickets :(

21. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    True, it just blows to come out to your car and find such a caca ticket.

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Yep.

23. ocr

ocr Karting

Dec 16, 2010
    Huntington Beach Cal
    Full Name:
    Glenn Morrow
    If you have a friend thats a cop he can sign it off for you. Don't ever go to lax without a front licence or tinted windows. They pull over everyone and if you park they have a cop or meter maid giving you a ticket as you pay for parking. People with tinted windows drive through with their windows open.