Window pulley size? | FerrariChat

Window pulley size?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Journiacois, Aug 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Help. I'm stuck. My mondi is in for his major and all is going well except for progress on the driver window. My guy did not get into the door as quickly and has just told me I need to replace the pulleys along with the cable. The major work is done but I'm now searching (including on this forum but couldn't find what I was looking for) the info on the size of using off the shelf, screen door rollers or some variant with bearings. My guy wil have to tool them unless I can find a substitute quickly. The car sits there until I get them to him.

I have been online and found various possible options that will deliver to me here in countrysid France. I'v been to local hardware/big box type stores and nothing close either too big or too small. One problem with finding them on the Internet is not all providers will ship International.

I'm stymied by lack of knowing the size that will work. I'm trying to recall if it was 2 1/2 or 3 in in diameter. And how wide or limited is the space to put it in. I'd love to get some of the roller bearing kind.

Anyone have that info handy or know a good supplier that will ship to France?

Thanks for any advice on this.

2. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hello, can you post a pic of what exactly you need? I'm parting out some Mondials and maybe a second hand pulley would do the job.

3. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I'm actually an hours drive away from the car so that really is what limits me from doing the measurement myself. But in speaking with my garage guy, he says they all are too worn to be useful. This of course is a result of me insisiting that the window go up and down these last two years despite the pulleys being locked tight by the old hardened grease.

There are 5 pulleys that are fixed and two that are on the tensioner. I have a left hand drive so this is on the drivers side but I would think a pulley is a pulley. I do know the motor's are side specific. That is next for him to test, the power of the motor. My friend and I took it apart and totally cleaned and regressed it and it seemed to work. It was the cable and pulley system which has just given out. So my hope is I won't need a motor.

It leads to another question, the cable size? What diameter? How long a piece do I need.

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    This doesn't seem to be as difficult as you are making it.

Stef can help you.

Doesn't your "garage guy" have a cell phone camera and micrometer?

Alden

5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I'll check some pulleys out tomorrow at the office.

6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #6 stekkefun4, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    #7 Journiacois, Aug 12, 2016
    Yes, my mechanic does have a bit of 20th century technology. Here are the measurements which he got to me today after taking the mechanism apart:

diameter: 40 mm
    inner diameter: 10 mm
    thickness: 6-7mm

And a pic too. Why the one taken from my car is all black vs. the photos from Stekfund are still nylon white is a mystery?

We both prefer to replace the pulleys with metal ones with roller bearings on the interior if we can find them. So back to my original question.

Does anyone know where I can find an acceptable metal replacement from a vendor on the internet?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I encountered some in metal while breaking a Mondial some time ago, I may still have these somewhere.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I can machine u 1 up if you get stuck. Generally the white nylon is the standard stuff. Some of the black nylon has a lubricant in it. I also have it in green. You dont need bearings in the centre as the nylon is the bearing itself, tough as old boots
    You are going to make problems for yourself trying to fit bearings as it will have to be an interference fit and you cannot really glue nylon to steel very well

10. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Sorry for the confusion but are the white nylon rollers from a Mondial? I have a QV. They look differently shaped than the one I have pictured? But it they fit the dimensions, I would like to get them , or the metal ones if you have them. I would really like to move forward on this quickly.

Should this be done using Private Messaging? I dont know the protocol.

Thanks for your help.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The one dimension you are missing is the width of the channel in the pulley. Use a set of small drills to measure the groove size.
    If you keep to the nylon you are not going to get corrosion of the wire. If you get stuck for a pulley in nylon i can knock u it up.

12. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    #12 Journiacois, Aug 15, 2016
    Mike, Thanks so much for your offer. This being a holiday in france it will be tomorrow before I can talk with the mechanic and see what he wants to do. I have attached a pic side on that he sent me. The outside width is between 6-7 mm.

Great idea using a drill to find the inner groove size.

Unfortunately an increasing issue is time. There is a 5k trip planned for september and it would be great if I could drive on the autoroute and pay tolls without having to get out every time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    How many do you need in nylon ? Making in alloy in a real time consuming job and your idea of a fitted bearing is not good, if you get dirt in the bearing it is going to jam up. Re the size of the rim- just put a steel rule over the 2 edges and use the back of the drill set to find the size. Are the fixing screws stepped ? If you tighten them do they come to a solid stop ? I think the pulleys would then spin on them

14. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I want to thank Stefan and Mike for their going out of their way to offer help. At the last minute here, my mechanic found a source that will fit the space and has built in roller bearings. They will cost 18 Euros each. However, if they do provide superior smoothness and performance, and solve the problem for my time with the car, it will be well worth it.

If anyone is interested, I will find out the manufacturer.

Thanks again Stef and Mike and the fchat community for your advice.

15. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    No problem, good luck with them :)