Window lifter nightmare | FerrariChat

Window lifter nightmare

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Oct 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hi guys,

I have arrived at a point that I need your input.

So, I cleaned the mechanism of the window motors: typical removal of hardened grease, put in new grease and make sure that the cable is well wound around the spool and then with the assistance of my wife, re-installed it in the door. Cables are running OK, everything done following the guidelines... That's the good thing so far.

Unfortunately, with everything in place and checked, the windows only go up & down by a couple of millimeters!!! Both LH and RH doors have the same issue. Glasses are attached to the cables, but even without the weight of the glasses, the cables only move by a couple of cm at the most...

As you can see on this film, the little arm in the centre goes up and down, but that's it...

Finally: the battery is strong enough and has enough power.

Any ideas??

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Quick reply as out and about.... any chance you’ve put too much cable back round the spool? I remember this being one of those PITA jobs. I also got lots of silicone and lubed the window runners for the glass as that made a significant difference (though in the end I fitted relays to make the damned things move properly).... sorry if this isn’t helpful. Will rethink when back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Thanks for your input.

I don't think so, when I re-installed it, the length and tension of the cables was correct. I have wound it 3 times around the spool.

4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Ok, and the glass slides ok manually, nothing bizarre in the channels, or the glass ‘nuts’ not catching as the glass lifts? ie it’s the cable snagging rather than being blocked. Oh, last daft question, the arm isn’t in the wrong setting, I mean it can’t go the other way under tension?

5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    As a reference, here's a picture with all parts.

I don't really understand what you mean with "glass nuts" nor "channels". The arm is ok.

On this pic, the motor engine is oriented downwards, mine was and is placed upwards

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Before you start pulling it to pieces, you say the battery is ok but have you checked the voltage the window motors are getting- they suffer from loss of voltage so check you have 12 volts when the window switch is pressed. If ok then it is mechanical

7. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Stekke, sorry I was typing on the go. Rewatched the video and saw your comment that even without glass you get no movement.

I’m trying to remember when I did mine - they were a PITA with years of dried grease in the motor.

I had problems with getting the right tension - ie tense enough - yours looks right already. I also had a problem with one I think where the cable had crossed and so was sticking.

If you remove the glass and tension, does the cable run ok then?

8. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    SOLVED!

The cable was stuck between the upper little wheel and the metal instead of passing over the wheel (part nr 17 on the pic). Same issue with the other door.

Tried the window on the driver's side and it worked perfectly! I've never seen a Mondial window going up & down that smoothly!

Jeka and Pero like this.
  9. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Short question. The window wires in my Mondial have different tension. Right side more than the left side. Left side window considerably faster than right. Isn't the tension set by the little spring loaded arm? Are yours the same?
    /Peter

10. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    LOL glad you got it fixed. Will you fit relays or are they working well now? My drivers side (pre relay) always used to drop about 15mm.

Pero, isn’t the arm adjustable? If you need to ‘cheat’, you can tighten it by having a little slack between the glass fixing nuts? I found the tension had less impact on speed, more about if the window would drop when closed.

11. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

12. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Pero, I assumed with age (of the car) it’d be too loose, not the other way. Is there any play in the spring, ie stretching it (ever so) slightly. I would also check the voltage in each motor to see if you are getting the same, I had all kinds of odd gremlins.

Biggest problem was the dried grease - if only they’d used that as underseal!!!

13. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

StuR likes this.
  14. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Here's a little movie of the end result. Pero: at the end of that movie I also explain how to lower the tension.

enzo360 and StuR like this.
  15. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Great video. I had no memory of the nuts in the base plate.

16. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Now time to pack my suitcase, I'm off to visit Maranello tomorrow... :)

enzo360 likes this.
  17. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

Super! Thanks Stekke.
    /Peter

18. donkost

donkost Formula Junior