Williams F1 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Williams F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by BJMoravek, Mar 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Every team has a story of "if's", "buts" and "maybe". Good luck . . . bad luck. etc., etc. Points from those scenarios don't count.

BMWairhead likes this.
  2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Claire has done an admirable job with what she was given. Outside of selling out, no one could have done better. I said it here a long time ago when the FIA allows customer cars (HAAS), the minnows cannot compete and would start going under.

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    They don't, but they tell the true story!

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I desagree, as we saw with massa vs Stroll, there was a t least a second per lap diference between a good driver and a bad one...hoe much money would williams need to make up a full seconds in development? Far more than whatever Stroll is paying for his seat!

5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Advisor says Williams aerodynamics stalling

MAY 16, 2018

Alex Wurz says the aerodynamics on Williams' 2018 car are basically "stalling".

The once-great British team is now among the absolute slowest on the grid, as young drivers Lance Stroll and Sergey Sirotkin struggle to drive the 2018 car.

"We lose downforce to the diffuser," once team driver and now Williams advisor Alex Wurz is quoted by Italy's Autosprint.

"We had this problem last year but it was just annoying. Now it's stalling.

"We lose grip and the drivers have no confidence in the car."

Worse still, Austrian Wurz said there is not yet light at the end of the tunnel for Williams.

"Identifying the problem is just 10 per cent of the question. Resolving it is the real challenge," he said.

6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Oliver Rowland did'nt do bad on yesterday's testing (while on HS tyres) and did 1:20:009. Kid's got way more less time than the their 2 paid drivers.

Kubica is doing quite well too today.

What's the the time difference between HS and SS tyres?? 0.7??? or less??? (US is in the middle)

Anyone want to compare the Strollers Qauli time with Rowlands and Kubica's time????

7. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Is bad. The floor design and rake of the car and suspension action is probably being looked at quite a bit now. The good news is once this very complicated issue is resolved the car will be totally transformed. A stalling diffuser is basically a car without a diffuser, so comprehend the difference once it's working. Gracious how did it come to this though!

crinoid likes this.
  8. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
  9. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Money doesn't buy everything Mr. Stroll.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Why does their aero struggle so much? Haven't they been photographing other F1 cars since forever and trying out their designs? Didn't Toyota basically copy the F2002 at some point? I think that would be the cheapest option for them even though it is not commendable, but they have no money for anything else other than that or to leave.

11. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Yea! The problem is Stroll being 1.3 seconds slower than Kubica. Kubica has been out of F1 for an eternity, and doesn't have total use of one hand and yet is eons faster than Stroll. Sad stuff.

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Teams that want budget caps or otherwise they might close need to realise they therefore have no place in f1. Do you best, on the budget you have, and be happy, this isn’t communism, it’s a sport that is entered in the knowledge it costs money...... either put up or shut up and **** off williams. Sorry, I don’t see why ferrari should stop spending just becuase you have fallen behind, that’s life and racing

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Just ask papa stroll a few more bucks!

15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Papa knows its not worth it to become further financially involved. The return is nil with Williams and i think Lance will be gone soon. Nothing shows him to be a driver in demand in the future.

F1 is not in a pattern of ascent when assessing the news of no cost deal for Miami and Germany promoter looking for the same deal. If u are a team the future shows lower revenue potential not more.

Williams are the symptom of larger dysfunction.

16. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    That's a rather myopic viewpoint. F1 cannot appease only the richest players in the sport if it wishes to survive.

The only teams that have any money to speak of have sweetheart deals. Ferrari/Marlboro. Mercedes and Red Bull pay for themselves, as does Haas. Zero other teams have title sponsors or any sponsors that pay large sums. Liberty lost UBS and Allianz. The sport itself has at least 300 million fewer fans than it did 9 years ago. Costs have gone out of this galaxy while revenues for all but 3 teams has gone down. To make things worse, Liberty's fiddling cost each team 31 million dollars last year.

Williams failing is just the first domino. Force India is on fumes, and Haas has one foot out the door. Sauber is there because of FCA money, and Toro Rosso only exists at the whim of DM. How much time McLaren has left is anyone's guess.

This just leaves Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, and maybe Renault. In the near term, a 14 car grid is a real possibility. Who wants to watch that? hell, people don't want to watch it now with 20 cars on the grid.

Cutting the annual budget per team to $120mm is just a start. FIA also have to toss this complete loss of a formula and go back to simpler cars and sprint racing.

What will happen is plain to see. FIA will ruin F1 just like they have ruined WRC and just like they have ruined WEC. Watching Toyota race itself is about exciting as watching rocks erode.

william likes this.
  17. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    I have been interested in F1 for many years but cannot claim any expertise whatsoever, compared to the knowledgeable posters on this forum. However, it does strike me that many threads are concerned solely with trivial details covered by the ever growing rule book.

F1 should never be formula libre but in the days many still pine for, the limitations were few - engine capacity, wheelbase and a few safety requirements. I wonder how Colin Chapman, Gordon Coppuck and other innovators would have coped today.

The relevance to Williams is that they do not have the funds or resources to pour over the rule book seeking minimal advantage. Perhaps they should not be in today's F1, but they have achieved a lot but over the years and one wonders if they are just the canary in the coal mine! The whole thing seems too complicated and I wonder how long it will be before just the manufacturers are left - and will their shareholders be happy to cough u if there is no real competition?

18. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Williams should've done everything they could to become Honda's partner.

Claire failed.

william likes this.
  19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares

20. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Why? Honda drags teams backwards. Toro Rosso is .5s+ per lap slower than last year. One usually does not put a heavier anchor onto a sinking ship.

BMWairhead likes this.
  21. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Why?? Let's Count...

1. Williams has the Mercedes power unit and is last in points.
    2. Williams has arguably the worst 2 drivers on the grid,... for the only purpose of filling the cash register.
    3. Sponsor Martini gone at the end of the year. What sponsor are they going to get now?

With Honda...
    1. Free power units...
    2. Better drivers, at Honda's expense...
    3. A reasonable shot of attracting a title sponsor.

Williams is in last place,... and you're concerned about Honda dragging them backwards??

P.Singhof, william and daytona355 like this.
  22. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Williams is in a world of hurt, but STR has been very consistently finishing last or nearly so. They lucked into the points they have. Don't get me wrong...the points absolutely count...but that one race was an anomaly. Honda is not the answer for William's troubles.

23. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Don't get me wrong,... I'm not saying Honda is great. I think Honda may have been the only option to allow survival.

How much was Martini paying? That money is gone.

William's is circling the drain,... they're not in a position to demand more money from the driver's... they've already hired the two willing to pay the most.... no reason fro them to pay more...

Next year will be worse than this by a lot.

P.Singhof and BMWairhead like this.
  24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think they are better off selling to MB and being used as a feeder team like STR is to RBR. They have no shot at ever winning a WDC/WCC again as a privateer team.

william likes this.
  25. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Has MB expressed any interest in a B-Team (or is this fantasy)?