Williams F1 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Williams F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by BJMoravek, Mar 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I'm glad that Claire Williams wants to remain independent, but if Haas finishes ahead of Williams this year, they might want to reconsider.

I'm not a billionaire like Mr. Stroll, but why doesn't he just start his own team, or pay Williams for one of his companies to be the title sponsor? Everyone on FerrariChat has plenty of opinions on F1 but I guess since he's rich enough his opinion gets in the news!

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Williams chief designer Ed Wood has left the team after 12 years in the role.

[​IMG]

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    WEll, considering in the las 12 years Willimas hasn't had a decent car i guess it was about time!!!

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Merc Engine and still can't get out of Q3?

Sorry... bye bye

william likes this.
  6. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Robert Kubica: 2018 Williams F1 car not enjoyable to drive in Spain FP1
    Robert Kubica admitted the Williams Formula 1 car is "not enjoyable" and "hard work", but said he was satisfied with his first grand prix weekend session since 2010.

Kubica completed the first of his three planned Friday morning practice runs with Williams at the Spanish Grand Prix.

It ended an absence from official GP weekend sessions that stretched back to Abu Dhabi in November 2010, his final race for Renault before the rallying crash that interrupted his career in the following February.

But Kubica was only 19th fastest, 3.3 seconds off the pace and with just team-mate Lance Stroll - who crashed with half an hour to go - behind him.

"It's difficult to say that it was enjoyable because our car balance was very bad and it was very difficult to drive, so it was difficult to enjoy it," Kubica said.

"But I'm satisfied with the session and how I reacted to difficult conditions and a difficult balance.

"It sounds strange that you can be happy about P19 but actually I'm happy.

"To enjoy it you need to have a car which is suiting your driving style and is giving you margin to drive it.

"Often unfortunately now we are in a position that we are going around the track and we are not driving the car. And this is not enjoyable. This is hard work.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"I know it sounds strange, but it's hard work to be four seconds off the pace, it is harder work that maybe fighting for one tenth or two tenths [at the front].

"In our position it's more that you drive the car into what is happening, you don't know what will happen until it happens, and then you react to the car, which is a hard job."

Kubica said Williams "know exactly what was our weakest part of the car" and "did start a project which should help us to understand better, to improve it and hopefully to solve it completely", but "probably it is not a question of one day or one month, it is even more".

He added: "Miracles will not happen. We will have better tracks, like for example Baku.

"Coming to Barcelona, I was expecting to be in a difficult situation. FP1 was even more difficult than expected.

"So now we will try to help our main drivers with the balance of the car to make it easier for them to drive. But performance is a different story."

Kubica admitted he "was expecting there to be more emotions" about his first GP weekend session in seven and a half years, but suggested that was a good sign.

"It means it is becoming more natural after a long time that I have been out of the sport," said Kubica, who added that the first tests of his F1 comeback bid last summer felt much more emotional.

Asked if he was encouraged to be faster than Stroll, Kubica replied: "No. I know my value. I don't have to look at lap times."

showme1946 likes this.
  7. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Still a great story for Kubica, but unfortunately the car is a mess.

375+ and ferrariformulauno like this.
  8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Perhaps if they had a driver with some setup experience !

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Both Williams' finished. That's ALL that can be reasonably hoped for this season.
    They had that last season with Massa. The result: Massa had 43 points to Stroll's 40. Experience!

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Sirotkin's late race spin was bizarre--it was so out of shape that it was difficult to comprehend.

Isobel and DF1 like this.
  12. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    Is it just me or is 'Ed Wood' a pseudonym like the director who doesn't want to be associated with a film using his real name??

John

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    No, we had massa 1sec a lap quicker than stroll at almost every race....talent...

14. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Williams will struggle to replace Martini

MAY 13, 2018

Paddy Lowe has admitted that Williams will struggle to replace departing sponsor Martini for 2019.

Martini announced it is leaving the British team at the worst possible time, just before Williams' performance badly slumped and designer Ed Wood inexplicably left.

When asked about Martini's departure and how the money will be replaced, technical boss Lowe said in Barcelona: "It's a difficult situation.

"There's no easy answer to that question. It's clear that we, and I include myself in that, did not work well enough and for the past two months did not achieve the progress we should have.

"It complicates the commercial situation but that's the sport we're in," Lowe added.

However, he denied there is a link between long-time designer Wood's departure and the dire performance of the 2018 car.

"Ed decided to leave to do other things, but it had nothing to do with the problems we're having on the track," said Lowe.

"His departure creates a vacancy but there's no rush to fill it," he added.

Lowe said Williams is working hard on fixing the 2018 car's problems, but cautioned that it will take some time before they see the track.

"None of the solutions that will help to improve the situation have been implemented, which is why we have such serious problems on this track," Lowe said in Barcelona. "Barcelona does not forgive shortcomings.

"But I'm not writing off the season. Yes our pace is really bad, but this is because the drivers are prevented from driving it properly.

"The car has its advantages, but certain shortcomings do not allow them to be seen."

15. DF1

I have sympathy but there is more to the story than Lowe will let on. The entire situation is more than just the car. Structurally they have fallen apart as a team.

375+ likes this.
  16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around this team. 2017 they scored 83pts in the WCC and Sauber scored 5pts and HAAS has 47pts. 2018 Massa leaves, Halo introduction, Sirotkin moves in. New spec engines for everyone.

So the car for 2018 is supposed to be an upgrade of the previous FW40.

Currently, Alfa-Sauber has 11pts in the WCC ( thanks to a rookie) and HAAS has 19pts........Williams only 4pts.

Paddy Lowe's statements about this with the car and that with the car.....c'mon, Paddy. IMO, he's "taking one for the team" with all the pressures around him including Lawrence Stroll who is bank-rolling this team or most of it.

It has to be the drivers!!!!!

mcimino and NEP like this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    With Martini leaving we have evidence that choosing drivers for the money they bring in is an economical nonsense; with no results and no car development abilities from the drivers, the other sponsors go away and the team ends up with even less money. And is still unable to get results and develop the car.

18. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    It is not an upgrade from FW40. It is a new design philosophy. That always comes with risk. Let's see if they can figure it out. They continuously claim that they understand what the wrongs are.

19. DF1

So races now for Williams are simply test sessions.

375+ likes this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    They desperately need help from someone, Mercedes maybe?

21. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    No designer... No rush to fill it... So what is Williams doing for a 2019 car??

22. DF1

Assessing the new regulations and their budget to plan a new design. Or wha they can afford to to do with respect to those changes, possibly.

23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    They should start by firing both drivers...and Claire williams!

24. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    These points don't tell the whole story. If not by team mistakes and misfortunes, Massa should have had at least 30 more points.