Will you soon want to buy a Toyota? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by NeuroBeaker, Dec 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota (such as the GT86)?

1. Wow! That actually looks like a neat little car - I'm impressed.

2. It looks good, but I have concerns about whether it will actually be a good drive or not.

3. I'm not interested in that particular Toyota.

4. I'm not going to consider any Toyota.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The new engine Subaru developed for this car will have a flood of after market performance parts very soon.

2. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I love these cars but I am struggling at a purchase decision as I also love the Fiat Abarth....completely different cars yet both are so inspiring and enticing

decisions decisions....perhaps i need both.

beev

3. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    We have one around town with a turbo and full exhaust. Not bad for the car being out for a month and a half lol.

4. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thanks for the responses. I was expecting these kind of replies :)

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I forgot to share the following email, dated July 5:

6. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    For those who don't know... Litchfield are legendary Subaru tuners...

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    There are hints of an STi Turbo version on the horizon.

8. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
  9. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Everything I've read has been pretty emphatic that out won't get a turbo. With that being said, I'm keeping mine stock until after the sti specs are released. I could see trading up a year or so from now.

10. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Same(keeping it stock) - they hit a home run and I'll be trading up without question. This thing loves the high revs.

11. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Can you explain, why Norwegian car taxes are so high? Norway is a major oil and gas producer. Why don`t they let the people profit from that?

12. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Now even worse....interesting.....or maybe disturbing?

13. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    It actually started out as a luxury tax back in the late 60s/early 70s, and over time they dripped the taxes down to regular cars. I complain about them all the time and it seems only a minority of non-car enthusiast Norwegians actually know that they paid double for their cars compared to their Swedish neighbors... It looks like we can afford the taxes and that's why they are as high as they currently are - we do make almost twice as much money as our Swedish friends... But every now and then there are high hp performance cars that are dirt cheap in the US (a Shelby Mustang for an example) that will cost too much over here for us to handle compared to what they are (the prices will get on par with the fiercest 911s [997 GT3 RS/997 GT2] and stuff like Aston Martin DB9 etc., and then of course that's what we buy rather than cars that are considered performance bargains abroad!)

Then again, I look at car taxes in places like Pakistan and India and realize that it could be far worse! What does an average Pakistani worker make per month? 100-500 $? And last I checked a new Audi A5 will set you back about 175.000 $ over there - that's just messed up beyond reason :/ IIRC one of this boards Indian members bought a new 458 Italia for 600.000 USD, yikes! (Our 458 Italia base price is just above 500.000 USD and suddenly that makes sense [kinda] when your average mid-end worker can make 100.000 USD a year!)

Today the Norwegian taxes are in favor of cars producing little CO2, which I consider BS, because if safety and environment was a true concern, the new car prices would have been a lot lower so that we could get rid of old polluting cars from the streets and replace with far more efficient and safer ones... Politics, you know... And now the economy is reliant on that BIG chunk of taxes gained from the car sales, so the taxes won't go away anytime soon...!

PS. Norway only spends 3-4% of the oil revenues every year. The rest is invested abroad for the future generations. IIRC, divided on a population of 5.000.000, I think every Norwegian is worth about 40.000-60.000 USD based on the value of our current oil fund value.
    I think it's a clever strategy, but sometimes you wonder why we don't spend more on modernizing hospitals, fixing up poor roads, high speed trains++... But I'm not complaining, we do have a world elite standard of living anyway...
    In the end, I'm glad that we didn't go all nuts with the oil money, like most of the other oil nations out there...

14. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    @ DriveAfterDark

Thanks!

15. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Great post DriveAfterDark..... I would like to know more about the intergenerational focus of the Norway government.....PM me if you have some links or info you can share.

16. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congrats. There is a twin near me and I really like the back-end view, i.e. very nice haunches.

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I was just assuming ie hoping the STi version would be turbocharged but you are correct that only an STi version has been hinted at with no mention of a turbo version.

18. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thanks. I don't have any links that I recall, but maybe you can get something out of "Norwegian oil fund future generations" (or something similar) on Google?

19. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Ok thanks I will try that :)

20. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Thought the same thing.

LOL

21. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    As far as Pakistan is concerned, most of the Ferraris and other exotics that arrived here have come under the 1) Expat Pakistani can bring one car rule if moving back home 2) As a Gift for a Relative or 3) As part of your personal belongings/baggage transfer if abroad for more than 6 months.

The Duties are much much lower than you think especially if the car was registered and used abroad for 3 or 4 years (cars older than 5 years are not allowed to be imported but I think there is a classic car waiver not sure on the years whether is should be older than 20 or 25 years).

http://www.fbr.gov.pk/Docs/20114191244029273Importofvehicles2010.pdf

The thing I want to investigate is how do they deal with the servicing and parts. I heard in the 1995/96 a member of a prominent family in Karachi had a yellow 355 spider which he was servicing in Dubai, what a hassle.

S

PS: The previous government had an even more favorable duties regime in place and alot of used European luxury cars and exotics flooded into the country especially from the UK.

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #198 texasmr2, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  23. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    He sure has, but these guys are looking to make this into an organized sport. The clip even talks about set course dimensions (125m x 26m, I think.)

24. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Tire test:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IWa_qlt3g&feature=relmfu[/ame]