Will you soon want to buy a Toyota? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by NeuroBeaker, Dec 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota (such as the GT86)?

1. Wow! That actually looks like a neat little car - I'm impressed.

2. It looks good, but I have concerns about whether it will actually be a good drive or not.

3. I'm not interested in that particular Toyota.

4. I'm not going to consider any Toyota.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    the only Toyotas I'm interested in is second gen MR2 and a MKIV Supra. Thats it. And honestly for the Price id rather buy a Viper and a Fiero..... Supras have become ungodly expensive these days and need a ton of work. Same could be said about the MR2.

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    After making my post yesterday morning, I saw one on the road last night. :D

Actually, I really love the looks of it. While you say the looks are very plain, I think it looks more refined than many of the cars that have ripped surfaces and sport crazy styling features that try too hard. It's just a very competent and classy design. I could definitely see myself driving one of these. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It hass gotten crazy orders here in aus, we got something like 1500 or 1800 cars allocated to this year and it only went on sale 2 weeks ago and it's pretty much sold out.

I signed the papers a few days after launch and have been told my car will be built in december for a 2013 delivery...

Now I know what Ferrari owners go through :p

4. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    For tonights news: some new model of Toyota that claims to be a sports car seems to be causing a lot of accidents. Apparently, the cars keep going even when you try to stop. Folks, my best guess is the Toyota's are just trying to do what's right--commit suicide ;)

5. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Alright, I've got over 1300 miles on the car now and the thing is just a blast to drive! It very much delivers in all the areas that it promised and I'm very happy that I decided to buy one sight unseen. The interior and exterior styling are superb given the price point, and so far I haven't had any major issues with the vehicle.

I know there have been complaints of the car being "underpowered", and generally I would have to agree, but I also find that I'm very pleased that I can easily take the revs up to redline through a couple of gears and still not be driving "recklessly". If Subaru ends up developing an STI tuning package or eventually does come out with an STI version in a couple of years I would consider making the upgrade. With that being said, even with just 200hp the tail is extremely easy to break loose when you have the drivers aids switched off or set in sport mode. I received an extreme lesson in this the other day driving in the rain which has convinced me I need a bit more experience behind the wheel of a RWD car. The only real negative I've had with the car has been the navigation/entertainment system. I'm glad that Subaru made a point to include it with the car, but it really does pale in comparison to a Garmin unit, or even my smartphone when it comes to keeping a satellite signal or provide accurate directions.

At some point I'd like to get the car out on to a track and get a bit of instruction for "high performance" driving so I can enjoy the car responsibly and safely. I'll be sure to report back once I do and I'll try not to complain about frequently replacing tires :D

If anyone has any questions about the car or are considering a purchase please don't hesitate to pick my brain!

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks Kyle. :)

Actually, I drive an underpowered car at the moment and I do really enjoy thrashing it in higher revs to keep it moving down the road. The fact that it is underpowered generally means I'm not even speeding when I do it, so I think that aspect would be a great characteristic for a road car to have.

Are the driver aids an on/off button or can you dial them in a manner such as on/half/off?

All the best,
    Andrew.

7. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Essentially it's the latter. Every time you turn in car on everything is turned on to keep you "safe". You can then set the car in "sport" mode any time while you're driving and the traction control will let you slide the back around a bit and have some fun. You can also turn off all the driving aids by holding the traction control button down for three seconds while the car is stationary. I haven't tried the last setting yet, and I probably won't until I find a big empty parking lot to have some fun in.

8. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I totally understand that, it's my personal opinion.

I do like the car, especially the GREDDY one, I loved their tasteful mods and it makes the design stand out a lot more.

9. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I went and put a deposit on one today. Ony problem is the higher spec model has a 12-18month waiting time here in Oz so I ordered the base model....I'm excited but still have a 4-6month wait. These things are crazy for the money, unheard of value IMO

10. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    What other cars can you buy for the same money?

We got the Toyota GT86 vs. VW GTi, Ford Focus ST, BMW 120d coupé M-sport, Mini Cooper S convertible for the same kind of money, and a fully loaded MX-5 for just a little less (but also a 40-some hp weaker engine).

You can also get a base-engined (~2.0 l. turbo diesel) but fairly loaded VW Passat or Mazda CX-5 for the same price.

But in the end, with Honda S2000 out of production, and MX-5 a level below power and probably handling wise, it does seem like a really great value as a sports car for the average guy.

I can't wait to see the roadster + aftermarket power upgrades for these cars.

11. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Nothing comes close over here. Everything you list above is at least 20% more expensive. I think the MX5 is 50% more.

12. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Wow, then I imagine it must feel like a true bargain!

13. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    #163 Dazzling, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    Cars are normally way more expensive in oz than anywhere else. I dont know how they are doing this here but it really is amazing. When I get a chance I will post recommended retail for each of the cars you have listed above to show just how incredible the pricing is over here. For example I cant buy a 20yr old Porsche 968 for the same money

14. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    ok prices in Oz as promised, all numbers in AUD$ and manual 3 pedal cars

Toyota GT86, $29,990 for base level car, $35,450 for GTS spec level
    VW Golf GTi, $38,990
    Ford Focus ST, Not yet available but expected to be priced between $35,990 and $40k
    BMW 120d coupé M-sport, Not yet available but not much change from $50k would be expectations
    Mini Cooper S convertible, $44,900
    MX-5, base pricing starts at $44,265

As you can see the base GT 86 is amazing value.....that's why I ordered one :)

Both of these are about $40k (auto's)

15. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Hmm, we are still a bit more expensive here though... GT86 starts at 67.500 AUD...

What I can't understand is how on earth an MX-5 can cost so close to a 120d :confused:
    Our car taxes makes no sense either...

16. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    For the price I paid for an 86 I could have gotten an 03 elise, E39 m5, E46 M3.

But these would have been VERY high milage and old beaten up cars, I think I made a good choice.

17. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Just picked up an FRS in raven. Love it

18. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    #168 Dazzling, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
    You sure did, 3year warranty and fixed 15,000km $170 services for 3years or 60,000kms whichever comes up 1st. I can only imagine the potential maintenance bills for each of the above given as you say they wouldnt be the best examples you could buy at $30k.

I have just sold an e46M3 and I'm selling an e39 530 as a result of ordering the 86GT, they are all different propositions and have different advantages but the Toyota really suits me right now

19. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Welcome to the club! Any pics?

20. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'll take some tomorrow - was too busy driving it today! Pulled it off the lot with 3 miles on it - lol. Will post a full review after a few days with it.

21. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    #171 bounty, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    It looks awesome in black! Could you comment on the power?

23. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    #173 1_can_dream, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice! Love the black too.

With regards to power, honestly it needs a little bit more. You can whip the thing around very easily, but it would be nice if it had a couple more ponies for some straight line pick up.

I also just realized I didn't post a picture after I posted the video of mine rolling off the truck. Here it is.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks! Underpowered? Yes. But I knew that going into it. There are a handful of other cars that fit that bill - I bought this car because I felt it was the perfect balance in just about every category that is important to me - 34mpg on the highway, awesome handling, fun at pedestrian speeds, RWD, great sound,good looking! Oh - and the price was right! This car has great character. It is so low to the ground - a Prius driving by feels like you're looking up to an SUV. I also feel like I haven't tapped into this cars real power at higher RPMs and maybe this is why it feels underpowered- I'll have to drive it more to find out. I actually opted for the automatic with paddle shifts which I never thought I would buy - but I drove both and had tons of fun in sport mode with the paddles and don't want to always be committed to the stick on my 32 mile daily commute.

And perhaps the best part? I'm 6'3"/230 pounds and I have tons of room!

25. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Loved the BRZ - IMO - the interior is a step up on the BRZ - but I wanted something a little more bare bones and wanted to keep costs down - just personal preference.

Bluetooth and IPOD USB input is super cool. This car is addictive to drive and has brought a lot of smiles.

The lightweight, high revs, and the low stance(good grip) make this such a joy to drive. I didn't go to the dealer wanting to like this car - but I sat in it and it felt right and then took a test drive and I wasn't leaving without one.