Will you soon want to buy a Toyota? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by NeuroBeaker, Dec 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota (such as the GT86)?

1. Wow! That actually looks like a neat little car - I'm impressed.

2. It looks good, but I have concerns about whether it will actually be a good drive or not.

3. I'm not interested in that particular Toyota.

4. I'm not going to consider any Toyota.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I think the Toyota GT86 will be here in the States only as the Scion FR-S. Regardless, it is indeed good to see Toyota trying to get the sportiness back into their lineup. The GT86 is suppose to remind us of the little car that started it all for Toyota in the 80's, the 1983 Corolla GT-S. Hopefully it will again spawn such great sports cars like the MR-2, Ceclica GT-Four and Supra.

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Concerning a new Celica GT-Four I think that is highly possible considering Subaru's all wheel drive expertise and since they are handling all the engineering,testing and production. If a new GT-Four is built I would be in heaven but mourning the loss of the 3sgte (in my heart & mind).

3. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    #53 1_can_dream, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Glad I happened upon this thread!

I'm first on the list at a couple of dealers for the Subaru version of this car. I've been doing a ton of reading, youtubeing, as well as posting on a FT-86 specific forum (gasp! there are forums other than F-Chat!?!?) and every review is coming back immensely positive!

Some facts:

-Released as Toyota GT-86 globally
    -Released as Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ in United States
    -May is estimated US release date
    -Scion is expected to be "base" model with Subaru having a "medium" and "high" trim levels
    -Official US versions of the FR-S and BRZ will be unveiled at Detroit motor show
    -Expecting pricing and trim details either at Detroit or Chicago motor shows
    -Confirmed specs of 200hp 150tq 2700lbs

If anyone has any specific questions ask away, I know way more about these cars than I should probably admit to normal people.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nobody here is normal we are car peeps :D !!

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Oooh, where to begin?!?! :D :D :D

Do you have a price list including the breakdown for options? Are some options going to be available on some brands and not on others?

What are the main differences between the Subaru, Toyota, and Scion versions? I have noticed some styling characteristics that differ between the Subaru and Toyota, mainly just small things at the front end - but haven't really seen enough of the interior to notice if there is much difference in there. Any variations seem very subtle (mainly badging?), but just wondering what they all are.

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    That's why I figured I was in a safe place to speak out :D

Right now official pricing and options haven't been released by Toyota. However the most common numbers being thrown around are $23-$24k for the Scion $25k for the Subaru Premium and $27k for the Subaru Limited.

All three versions of the car are going to be produced at the same Subaru plant in Japan so any differences are going to be pretty minimal. The most notable is the aesthetics of the Scion/Toyota vs the Subaru with the former being a bit more aggressive due to the front bumper having sharper edges. As for the interior, since the Toyota is being released globally it is expected to have the widest range of options but nothing is official yet. For the US models these are what we know (assuming based on multiple publications) so far:

Scion

-Cloth interior (red/black looks to be standard)
    -White face gauges
    -White and red back lighting of gauges
    -Scion radio system

Subaru premium

-Cloth interior (black w/ red stitching)
    -Navigation standard
    -Softer suspension
    -Black gauges
    -Red back lighting of gauges
    -HID standard
    -17" wheels standard
    -No "Boxer 86" badges

Subaru Limited

-Leather/Alcantara seats
    -Dual zone climate control
    -Spoiler
    -Fog lights
    -Proximity keyless entry and push start
    -Heated seats

The Scion and Subaru in the US are expected to have 3 more hp than the global Toyota version due to a different exhaust system. Subaru BRZ Sti is expected to be released in 2013 but there's not definitive info on whether it will the NA or FI. There are pictures being leaked of the GT-86 in Japan with TRD parts all over them so we're expecting there to be a wide range of factory aftermarket parts to be available upon release.

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Ok here is the scenario. We would need a base donor chassis and then a 503E 2.1ltr for the engine swap, we could call it Thor?????

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Is it me or does the Subie version have a little more curve on the front fender?

Honestly, the more I read about this car, the more I like. Much more in vein with the original Datsun 240Z strategy (e.g., sporty, cheap, attractive) that helped make Japanese cars more desirable.

Love to see the STi version!

9. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Will someone who is 6'4" be able to fit inside comfortably?

10. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #60 climb, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    Looks like a high waisted 370z. In all the years Toyota made sports cars they never looked like Nissans. Why not get a 370z with lineage and history? Toyota is the worlds best car maker but it's got to share and engine with Subaru? A boxer (subaru icon) no less?

What would put me in one is a T-top option. Not a convertible not a sunroof but T-tops like on my 300zx.

Looks like their marketing plan is aimed more at the Scion, Civic Si and WRX tuner crowd and less at the 370z ex Supra Celica cadre. Young not old (like me) sports car lovers. Seems the car is a bit overpriced for the age their aiming at. If the car was 18-22k they'd sell like hotcakes. Or if the car was more substantial they could get the 35-40k it takes to get into a 370z.

Toyota knows what their doing i guess.

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Your being biased towards the 300ZX and its lineage does not go back as far as the original concept of the AE86. I also think your missing the point concerning this collaboration between the two simply because in todays global economic situation a merging of technologies is a platform for survival aswell as progression. I think it should be embraced yet I would rather see a Scubby engine in the Scubby version and a Toyota engine in the Toyota version.

12. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Not sure, the interior was designed to accommodate a racing helmet though. Most of the reviews I've seen have had short asian guys driving them.

The car is basically a Subaru since they did most of the leg work on the engineering side of things. The biggest Toyota contributions were the styling and the direct port injection technology added to the Boxer engine.

I was originally looking at 370z's to purchase in the beginning of next year, but then I started reading about this car and changed my mind. The 370 bare bones stock starts at $32k, weighs in at 3200 lbs, and gets 26mpg. The BRZ is going to come in around $24k, 2700lbs, and an estimated 30mpg. Even though the back seats are ridiculously small, it does add a bit of "practicality" when compared to the 370. I also like that they focused mainly on the balance and handling of the car even though it is a bit underpowered.

Prices aren't set in stone yet, but I agree with you that the Scion price estimates are a bit high and the car would do much better in that $20-22k range. I can't see them going much lower than that since the TC is priced right around $19k.

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    As the former owner of multiple 240Z and 280Z cars, the 370Z has no real lineage other than the brand. It's so far removed from the original concept that as a Datsun / Nissan Z-car fan, I don't consider it part of the family. That's not to say I don't like it, it's just not in the vein of the original 240Z concept.

This car is so much more like the affordable, competent model that was the original 240Z. At $20-23K, I would consider purchasing this car if in the market. I am a little older myself, so it may not fit my persona, but they are definitely cultivating / targeting the younger set, and I think it has a chance to be successful.

14. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #64 4re Nut, Mar 13, 2012
    Any takers for the Subaru version: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/13/preorder-now-subaru-only-sending-6-000-brz-coupes-to-u-s-in-20/ ?

I still think Subaru should have gone all-wheel-drive to differentiate it further from the Toyota version.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Or atleast offer both versions, maybe one is in the pipeline?

16. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I'm hoping for late April or early May delivery of mine. AWD isn't what this car is about.

No plans whatsoever to offer an AWD version. There's rumors for an STI version with a possible turbo or supercharger though.

17. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #67 4re Nut, Mar 13, 2012
    Maybe, but I doubt Toyota sees any benefit to it and I bet they don't want the Subaru version seen as more performance-oriented. That said, I think the natural price gap b/w 2WD and AWD versions would help minimize cross-shopping of the two, which I would think both makers want. That said, maybe Subaru fears an AWD version will cannibalize WRX and STi sales.

One for the conspiracy theorists: Toyota hiding easter egg on GT 86/Subaru BRZ?

18. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cool! Specs?

Bummer, AWD is so synonymous with the brand. However, with the improvements in ABS and traction control systems (and the fact these are standard equipment now) it is becoming unnecessary (has become?) and maybe Subaru will start offering 2WD variants of their models to help make them more price competitive. De-contenting vehicles seems to be working for VW and I assume others are watching.

19. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I would love to hear more about the planned roadster versions. I might get one. 200 hp is plenty for my streets. Manual gearbox and fun RWD setup with reliability at a low price is a great deal IMO. Don't care about the looks. Just want something fun that's cheap to own and that can be parked on the street.

Flat four promises great noise from aftermarket suppliers of exhausts. Expecting tons of tuning parts for these cars, and to me that's part of owning a Japanese sportscar! :)

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I was just agreeing with your last post "I still think Subaru should have gone all-wheel-drive to differentiate it further from the Toyota version" :confused: . I feel confident that after the intial launch and after a few years, depending on sales numbers, we will see more distinction between the two models, after all one is a Subaru and one is a Scion. I want to test drive one and see how it compares to my dearly departed AE86.

I still fear it will sound like an Evinrude pushing a Jon boat.

21. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    6MT Premium World Rally Pearl Blue (the same color as all the press pics).

-200-hp direct and port-injected 2.0-liter 4-cylinder SUBARU BOXER® engine
    -Close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission or optional adaptive 6-speed automatic transmission with Sport mode and paddle shifters
    -Rear-wheel drive
    -Limited-slip differential
    -17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
    -Sport-tuned suspension with double wishbone rear architecture
    -HID headlights
    -Cloth upholstery
    -Integrated 8-speaker audio and voice-activated GPS navigation system
    -Bluetooth® audio streaming and hands-free phone connectivity
    -USB/iPod® control
    -HD Radio with iTunes tagging capability

No price yet, but I've got my fingers crossed we're gonna find out on the 15th and hopefully it's around $25-26k according to the most current rumors floating around.

22. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Based on the chatter floating around they may be somewhat hard to come by for a test drive for the first year. If the F1 race happens you'll have to take mine out for a spin.

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I am just happy that this platform/concept is being revitalized at a semi-affordable price. I know for certain that well known body kit shops are putting in OT for aftermarket add-on's, I wonder what STi and TRD have up their sleeves??

24. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nice! Stick I assume?

25. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Very true so maybe I should put in a call to the owner of the Toyota dealership I once worked at, fingers crossed lol!