Will you soon want to buy a Toyota? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by NeuroBeaker, Dec 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota (such as the GT86)?

1. Wow! That actually looks like a neat little car - I'm impressed.

2. It looks good, but I have concerns about whether it will actually be a good drive or not.

3. I'm not interested in that particular Toyota.

4. I'm not going to consider any Toyota.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    That's a pretty ignorant statement. I've extensively driven a fully loaded Avalon, as well as an LS460 AWD.

There is absolutely no comparison. I personally like the LS460 better than the Mercedes S550, the BMW 750i, and the Audi A8. It's classy and luxurious without being pretentious. Yeah, it's probably overpriced, but when put in a lineup with its competitors, it's the bargain of the bunch.

The Avalon is nothing but an inflated Camry.

Now, if you want to talk about the Hyundai Genesis Sedan... you may be on to something there. ;)

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I worked at a Toyota dealership when the Avalon first cameout and it may share the same platform as the Camry but it was head and shoulders about any Camry imo and fast as hell.

My neighbor has one and I love those cars. I'm not sure what a loaded Avalon runs these days but I would think it is close to the Genesis which I believe is around $45K.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I had a MR2 Spydie back in 2000. Really fun. Too bad they don't put that engine in a car the same size but better suspenders...oh wait....

4. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #29 climb, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
    I feel the same way when driving my sisters lexus es 335 or something. Sure it's got better wheels, leather, wood etc. but five minutes into a drive I do a double take at the wood dash as i forget I'm driving a lexus and feel like I'm driving my Camry. The Lexus is a great car but for my purposes the camry is too at half the price.

5. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I loved my Toyota cars.. 1976 Celica, 1978 Celica, 1986 Celica GT-S, 1991 Mister two. I gotta say that what i loved about them most though was their reliability. The steering never felt communicative like a old BMW, VW or even my Opel station wagon. The brakes never had that powerful feel of a 911 where you didn't just feel the car slowing down but felt the mechanics as the car stopped aggressively. They never had the character of an exotic or of any European car but i still loved them as they were the cars i could rely on in my youth.

What i'd like to see is Toyota engineer into their new sports cars the visceral, fun and communicative feeling you got from 1980's German cars. Seems all manufacturers lately are in an engineering pissing contest one trying to out-do the other. Look at our traction control..it takes you the driver out of the process of controlling your car. I want the car to talk to me and ask me for my next response and in turn communicate back the results of my previous inputs. Man and machine not man riding as a passive bystander in a rolling techno gizmo on wheels.

Until Japan designs fun into the car I'll still want something more than i can get with their cars. I'm very excited to see them getting back into the sports car game though.

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Me too as a former owner of an '85 Corolla GTS,'85 MR2,'87 MR2,'88 MR2 and '92 MR2T!!! The initial impressions of the new car are very good and chances are very good that a turbo model will soon follow.

7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I think the Turbo model will be on the Subaru BRZ STi.

I imagine Toyota will stick without turbos, as they seem to be touting the lack of turbos right now as a positive thing in that they wanted to make the car fun rather than fearsomely fast.

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I own a GS400, lots of fun, but dated now. If I spring for a sedan, the Genesis is tops on my list.

9. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
  10. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well, that was certainly concise. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    The Avalon uses the same 3.5L engine as the V6 Camry. It's the same engine, but heavier, and has the older 5-speed gearbox instead of the Camry's 6-speed. You do the math.

The Camry V6 does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds.

Oh I completely agree.

The ES350 is exactly a Camry. It's the Camry platform, Camry engine, and Camry interior. Everything is the exact same.

The LS460 is nothing like the ES though. It's the only Lexus I'd consider buying.

12. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    I like it. I'd like to drive one, but I'm not sure if I'd buy one. I'm looking forward to seeing how the aftermarket support develops for these new platforms.

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Luv it!!!!

Without having to locate the article and since it is a Scubby motor I think engine wise the aftermarket support already exist for certain parts but the engine sits so low some existing parts may need tweaking.

I'm gonna utilize my Toyota contacts and arrange a test drive asap for the Scion version.

14. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Greddy and HKS have already begun to modify these vehicles, but they're mostly producing BPUs (basic performance upgrades). I'm looking forward to the turbo upgrades and potential engine swaps for this platform :)

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I'm looking forward to this new platform for all the same reasons.

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

You're right. I'm a dumb ass. Glickenhaus has already said I'm stupid. So join the crowd.

Dale

17. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Can we please try to just talk about cars and leave your differences of opinion with Jim for another thread?

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I saw a video of the Scion FR-S that was tuned/customized by Greddy, I really liked their mods and it looked pretty good with the wheels and exhaust and the other mods they had done to it.

I took a friend to the Scion dealer and it was one of the worst sales experiences ever, my friend was very pressured by the salesman and he used a dreaded line that he has a family to feed. That won't help you sell a car that is an investment to people.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Why, are you going to ban me?

Dale

20. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Are the Toyota GT86 / Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S all out in the US already? How have these tuning houses already gotten hold of these cars already?

All the best,
    Andrew.

21. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    No, they are not out yet. I'm not even sure when they are supposed to be out.

GReddy and Scion are 'partners' and they usually tune the cars, they had a tC and xB at SEMA. Some car companies give their cars to tuning companies as it allows the buyers to see all the various modifications that can be done to the car.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/12/greddy-scion-fr-s-makes-appearance-at-irvine-cars-and-coffee.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QhVPdJUtrLI

The interior looks cheap though. The Subaru will probably have the best interior of all 3.

22. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #47 SoCal1, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #48 texasmr2, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
    Your not old your wise! Love the pics and it is good to see Greddy get onboard, my MR2T was a virtual catalog of Greddy parts lol. I especially like the first pic with the original AE86 in the background, god I miss the own I had.

24. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Ive had several MR2's, 85-89, and the 91-95 body style. neat cars, good to see something cool come out again.

25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Actually, you make a good point. For some reason, I have never fit as well in a Camry as an Avalon. I just saw the Avalon on the floor with a sticker of $36K and thought it compared well with a LS with a $75k sticker.

That said, it looks like I'm gonna pick up a 2006 SC as a DD. The "L" really does stand for Luxury!

Dale