Will there be a NEW manual transmission Ferrari model? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Will there be a NEW manual transmission Ferrari model?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mikael-F360, Aug 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    If they revive the Dino brand, yes. A mid V6 wouldn't overpower a manual's clutch, and what would be the point of a new Dino w/o a manual?

Otherwise, no.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    As of today this conversation is for me moot. Just saw the pic of the SCG 004. lets just say it looks like a ferrari should, having a modern shape with classic cues from ferraris of old. The weight if as reported is superlative, the power more than, and it will come with a stick and no ps.

Ill posit that if Enzo were alive this is the car ferrari would have built. Its certainly the first new car I have seen in a long time that i feel compeled to own.

No point in waiting for ferrari to wake up, they have lost the plot.

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Link to info on that? I would like to check it out

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, Google brings up zero results, and the SCG website has nothing about it.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Not out yet or public.
    Saw a presentation by Jim G.
    Out of respect to him will not publish specs untill he is ready.

Suffice it to say, the car many of us have been asking for is it.

If you like how he improved an enzo you'll love this even more.
    Its really light, and has a great NA motor.

There are no ferrari bits in it at all. But imo its really the car ferrari would have built, stylidticaly, spec etc had they not decended into easy to drive luxury handbags for men under Luca and then Sergio.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Sounds promising. Any mention of price range?

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    But without a clutch pedal, the driver is NOT in control of the engagement of the clutch.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes thats true. But to me the question is whether that is an absolute requirement for automotive fun.

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Yes, what is the price range of 004
    ? Is this another one of these two million dollar cars that Porsche drivers like to crash into???
    N/A is good...

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Price seemed in line current v8 ferraris ford Gt etc.
    Lest see what comes out when its done.

If the car is like presented then, great motivation to figure out how to pay for it, because this will not be the one that got away..

of2worlds likes this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Does this mean you would move to NJ if it meant you could afford the 004?:D

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    And pay more taxes in a broken down state, no.
    It means that while many people are motivated by suburban lawns and other things when I see a car I love, truly compelled to own it motivate me to think/work harder, focus better to earn those bucks.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

I jest - thanks for your reply.

Mr. G obviously has a finely tuned sense of what 'works' when it comes to car design and features! Part of that experience comes from being old to...:)

14. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Re Hyundai quote. My Daytona was never fun to drive under 70 mph

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ferrari people will never admit one thing:

Ferrari mid engine manual boxes were never that great.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    From what hear a daytona was very heavy at the controlls and only came alive above 70, a car designed to crsuh continents not sit in traffic or run tight twisties was reputedly a chore below 70.
    Sadly in todays world a car that comes alive above 70 and is designed to crush continents has few places to roam. Thats why a BBi is so much fun, you get the drama of a daytona and it can still fight close quarters.

The issue though with the moderns is different essentialy being boring bland uninteresting unless pushed really hard towards the limit, think close to the limit cornering accle etc which often translates speeds well above 120 on relatively tight roads. But yes they are not a chore below max attack just hyundai boring. Not a charge that could be leveled at a 246,308, 288, boxer or Tr all of which were fun probably from 50 on up even when driven at 5-9/10ths.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Dont know which ones you have tried. My experience is primarily with the BBi. The fluids need to be very warm. After that whell shifting below 5k rpm you get a very rewarding mecahnical feel, you can literaly feel the gears and parts moving and its somewhat slow because it does not like to be rushed, lots of big pieces moving around inside. Now Shift a warm box near redline and its almost as thought he box is ahead of you, gear slot quickly and with perfect recision, and everything feels unbreakable too, or as goldilocks said just right.

willrace likes this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Same thing with my 550 Maranello. When cold going from 1st to 2nd would be a very very slow deliberate shift...I mean like slowly pull out of first transition across neutral slowly and then let the gear keep tickling 2nd until it knotches in...you can feel the whole process as if your fingers were riding on the top of the gear.

When warm it "snicked" through gears easily, very satisfying...loved the gated shifter.

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    F355 box is perfect IMO. Shifting, clutch, ratios, I would not change a thing.

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Indeed it is.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Compared to... ?

A Porsches gearbox? A Prius automatic? the notchy crunch of a 85 Ford Ranger transmission?

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Non mid engine cars.

They are good but not great. Sorry it's true.

23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    So, like a Corvette?

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I would say ferrari manual gearboxes up to the 360 have their own mechanical feel and requirements.
    The best gearbox I have experienced was a 997 Gt3, direct and precise with just the right mechanical feel and throw, worked great at all speeds.

My expoerice with a BBI gearbox fully warmed at full chat its a little heavier than the Gt3, just as direct slightly more notchy more mechanical feeling and has a sense of robustness only an old aston box can replicate. Like a fine wine to be appreciated is how I would describe ferrari gearboxes and motors..

I think by comparison the vette boxes lacked a feeling of precsion although they are easier at lower speeds. The porche 7 speed box plain sucks and my e46 BMW M3 box requires longish throws and feels rubbery by comparison. The Lotus box is light and nicley notchy untill driven in anger on track in which case its slow and imprecise.

25. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I agree. I would sometimes get 'between gears' on a fast 2-3 shift driving my 07 Z06. Never miss gears on the 355.

Is the BBI linkage rod or cables?