Will There Be a Crackdown on Front License Plates in Mass? | FerrariChat

Will There Be a Crackdown on Front License Plates in Mass?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Nospinzone, May 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Last October Massachusetts significantly ramped up the inspections of vehicles. Among other enhancements, cameras were mounted all around the inspection bay, and the inspector must take a photo of the license plate mounted on the front of the car.

I know we've talked about temporarily mounting the front plate to satisfy the inspection. However, I am wondering what kind of communication may be going out to the State Police and possibly local police regarding enforcing the requirement of a front plate. If they are making such a big deal about having a front plate at the time of inspection, I have to believe that they intend on enforcing the requirement for cars on the road. I have gone without a front plate for almost 5 years now without a problem.

Does anyone have any information or thoughts on this?

My other thought is you may have to worry if your car is parked on a public road. A couple years ago my friend and I walked to his car to find a ticket on the windshield. He knew he fed the parking meter, but the ticket was for an expired inspection sticker. Until then I never knew a meter maid could write a ticket for that. Now I'm wondering if they can write a ticket for no front license plate. Of course a parking fine is no problem, but if the police issues a moving violation, that is an expensive experience.

2. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Very good question....I haven’t gotten my Lusso inspected yet but plan to just tie the plate to the grill for now or temp mount it....I just got my wife’s Velar inspected and tied the plate to the grill with picture hanging wire and they passed it.....They weren’t too happy about how it was attached but they passed me....

I have since mounted that plate.....I do not believe they will ramp up enforcement more than it has been in the past. Over the years I’ve been pulled over once for no plate. Otherwise been left alone....

I’ve been looking for options to mount the plate with a bracket that attaches under the front diffuser.....something that slides under or easily removed....haven’t found anything yet though.....may just kinda fabricate something to just get it passed as opposed to taping it.....could probably rig something with some 3M sticky tape and sheet metal....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Try "Carbonio" for a front plate mount. I bought one for my 458. It is spring loaded and can put be on or off in 5 seconds.

Laserguru likes this.
  4. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have the Carbonio plate mount on my 456. It is well engineered and well built. Mounts and dismounts as fast as advertised.....plus adds 80 hp!!!

6. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Dont they have a magnetic plate holder now?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    At risk of jinxing myself, I will be the test case by never mounting my front plate in any way. I will let you all know how it goes!!

8. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I bought one for my 85 Tr and it didn't fit worth a crap. I called them and they admitted they don't make one specifically for Tr's yet they advertise the model as fitting all egg crate grills. Just not Tr egg crate grills. Wound up reverting back to using wire ties to pass for the sticker and cutting them off back at home.

9. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    After 3 "no front plate" tickets with my 360, i figured i would buy a mount for the 458.

10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Report your front plate “lost” to your insurance company / registry. Get a lost plate replacement receipt. All is good.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    LOL....I never knew they had that....just read the website and it says it takes 12 weeks to get the plates!.....and it costs $10.....so do it roughly 4 times a year and $40 in fees and always have a valid receipt!

12. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Isn't it amazing that police have time to stop cars for missing front plate when there are thousands of EXTREMELY loud, and I mean EXTREMELY, motorcycles blasting down neighborhoods and by stores and Chuches disturbing anything left of any peace? Yet, I never see ONE sitting on the roadside in front of a policecar. It must be more of a public menace to have vehicles with missing front plates than to have citizens' eardrums pulverized at each traffic light. Go figure.

13. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My guess is they are cracking down on front plates so the EZ-Pass readers on the toll roads can properly bill you if you don't have, or they can't read, an EZ-pass.

ronfrohock likes this.
  14. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Exactly!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ronfrohock likes this.
  15. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    I took my car in yesterday for a sticker.

I put two vertical strips of painters tape on the bumper, and two matching strips on the back of what is supposed to be my front plate.

I then applied two strips of Velcro to the bumper, and the reciprocal strips to the back of the plate, and stuck the plate to the front bumper.

Drove in, inspector took the required pictures of the car, passed my inspection, and drove out.

Back to my garage, peeled the plate off, peeled off the painters tape, as the inspector said what happens after I leave the shop is beyond his control, it had a plate on when it was inspected.

16. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    Brilliant! Love that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    AVI in Newton does a great powered hideaway front plate mount.

18. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Does EZ-Pass read front or rear plate? My wife's car still has the old rear only green plate. Never an issue with EZ-Pass.
    Regarding loud motorcycles. Several towns have been enforcing the noise level regulations randomly. Newburyport if I recall was aggressive.

19. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Rear plates. Many other states have only the one plate requirement so all toll gantries, including other states, read rear plates....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Regarding loud pipes, my 458 when screaming, though music to my ears, I suspect could be offensive as well. If front plates are needed for EZ PASS, then motorcycles must be free, which they aren't, as I get billed for my time on the Pike when on my motorcycle with loud pipes..........:)

21. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    Metrowest towns def ticket even very elderly drivers for the no plate...

And yes meter maids ticket for invalid stickers.. if youre MA registered. If you are non MA, they cant ticket for front plate or inspection. I.e. NH ppl .. IDGAF

Heck, I saw a new car with NY paper plates get ticketed for a resident spot downtown.. haha good luck collecting on a NY paper tag haha

( on that note, MA doesnt allow paper tags so lucky lucky no tow truck got called) hehe

22. InlineSixx

InlineSixx Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    Nashua, NH / Newport, RI
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I've thought the same thing, couldn't agree more about the Motorcycle hypocrisy vs. Cars with loud exhausts.

23. GS Scott

GS Scott Rookie

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston North Shore
    Full Name:
    Scott R
    I've been out and about in my red 328 going on three years, ~ 2,500 miles / 50+ drives, never even got a sticker or mounted a front plate. But I just googled the fine for no / expired MA inspection sticker and it said $40 plus it would impact your insurance rates for six years - 20%? I guess it's considered a moving violation?

The MA RMV site says if you apply for a lost plate, you must affix a temporary plate showing the number, blah blah blah...until your replacement plate arrives, blah blah blah.... It does say it takes 12 weeks. It also says you can get a sticker with the lost plate application, but the inspection station would probably want to enforce the temporary (home made?) plate? So, VERY reluctantly, I'll give the Carbonio mount a try - at least to get a sticker, then I'm going the "lost plate" route :) We'll see if "failing to read the fine print" flies or not. I plan on implementing the General's plan. Thanks to all for the Carbonio suggestion and the lost plate loophole!!

24. philS

philS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I just did my 328 and I took it to a family friend (who has let our missing front plates slide for years). He now requires it.

I zip-tied it to the grille with felt pads behind the plate to protect the paint.

If you're going in for a sticker -- at least do something temporary or else you might get rejected. Do you really want a safety failure showing up on Carfax later on when you go to sell?

25. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    I just got a "warning" for no front plate. While getting gas he pulled in front so I couldn't leave forward and asked for my licence and asked where is your front plate? He reminded me (or threatened) next time he sees me in Hamilton without the plate it's a $50 fine. What a buzz kill.