Will Testarossa's value go up? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Will Testarossa's value go up?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rachidbaligh, Dec 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Fwiw, if you look at historical pricing trends, cars seem to hit their lowest values at 20-25 years old (which is right now for the TR). Beyond that, they'll either stay flat or start to creep up. So, the 308's seem to have flattened, 512BB's went up, 355's are still creeping down and time will tell what the TR's and 348's do (I would expect flat on the 348, minor increase for the TR's). It's probably a safe bet they won't get any cheaper, though.

For a comparison, I bought my '78 trans am for $500 (!) in 2002 and runners went for ~$2k. Granted, it was just a shell and I built it to what I want, but now a shell goes for $1500-$2000 and a runner won't sell for less than $5k. Restored or original cars from that era have doubled in price since then, and they made in the hundred thousands of them, but it was a relatively good car for that era. It depends on the car, but I'd bet the TR's will go up a bit in the next 10 years, though I'd be really surprised it they outpace inflation by much.

2. Testa-rossa

Testa-rossa Karting

Aug 21, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martijn
    You all forget that the testarossa is concidered a SUPERCAR. Makes no sense comparing it with a "normal" Ferrari or any other production sports car..

Looks like there lots of "wanna have a Ferrari type persons" speculating, being leaded by their own taste -The newest, the strongest, the less made. Bull ;)

Fact is that the testarossa is an icon. Eveytime I visit an event with all types of Ferrari, you hear people say "testarossa" the most, people want to pose near the car for pics. More than any other model F.

It is so deep known that even blind grandma in a wheelchair yells "testarossa", even when it is a mile away.

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    the problem is here in North America - its production was large to feed here becasue the BB boxer was not allowed - so Americans are board with it -

I agree with you - it was the first super car - with the lambo - if China opens this door - the TR could see a spike as they love the car over there.

In europe its big as well - plus it was an 80s icon - i think it will go up long term.

we just need more american's to butcher a few more cars in southern heat ;)

4. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Very cool, Phil! Did you get to meet the cast? Umm, what I'm really wanting to know is if that presenter, Vicki, is very good looking in person. lol.

People have said a couple times that "if China opens up to imports...then the TR values will go up". Really? My intuition tells me that as the Chinese get wealthy and want western trappings of luxury - they will want the "newest" items - not vintage. Is there any evidence that the Chinese are nuts for Testarossas?

5. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    So funny & true.

I had my TR parked next to a couple 275 GTBs in the paddock at Monterey last month. My TR got just as much if not more attention than the 275s. Why? People knew what it was, identified with it, recognized it, was they car they wanted as a young man, etc. Besides, just the name alone evokes a sense of history, pedigree and wonderment with the Ferrari brand...it's so much fun to say out loud...go on..."Testarossa"

Delicious.

6. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I dont think #'s are a real factor (look at american muscle cars that thousands were made).Muscle cars have sky rocketed in value. I just read a quick article from Hagerty naming the top ten chick magnets. The TR was in that top ten. They said something to the effect that when people see a Testarossa they know it is nothing but a Ferrari, (unlike other F-car models). As with cars from the 70's which are now loosing value(not f-cars of course) the 80's cars will gain value as the calender turns pages. My TR is priceless :)

7. mouser57

mouser57 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2008
    Alberta
    People have said a couple times that "if China opens up to imports...then the TR values will go up". Really? My intuition tells me that as the Chinese get wealthy and want western trappings of luxury - they will want the "newest" items - not vintage. Is there any evidence that the Chinese are nuts for Testarossas?[/QUOTE]

In Japan they went nuts over them, now they are coming back

8. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    mark an "X" on a chart... label the line with the downward slope "Supply" and the other "Demand"... this has never been wrong about pricing... it will show when the price of anything will increase or decrease... just fill in the blanks

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    not just TRs - 1968 Mustangs, 1961 Vettes , take your pick - they have the disposable income, and want alot of the pop culture - I have connections there, and if things did open up - you would see a brisk market for the older cars - Mopars , you name, with 1B over there, you have to figure a few dozen Trs would find there way ;)