Will Testarossa's value go up? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Will Testarossa's value go up?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rachidbaligh, Dec 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If you can find one with no explosion history lol.

I bet there are a lot of TR's left, they dont rust out like old 308's plus they're newer. They cost more so people would tend to at least keep them inside whether they service it or not, use it or not.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If that was the case then the modification to the quarter would be so great it would need a 500 superfast quarterpanel with the switch to the low mirror. That said, ill say NO they didnt and that the high mirror was not needed, they found a better solution that better suited the car and improved the looks.

Just because enzo approved it doesnt mean it was a good decision.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #128 2NA, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    The story I heard was that the flying mirror resulted from an early misunderstanding of U.S. traffic regulations on mirror height. I like mine very much the way it is and would never modify it to put on a right hand mirror.

BTW - I think that these early flying mirror cars, (really good ones) - are probably going to be the first TRs to actually regain some value. The M cars are already very high, and so are 512TRs in just a little smaller way.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The M cars have always been expensive, because there were few made (75 in the U.S.?) and they were collectibles from day one. I don't think owners actually drive them, and I wouldn't draw any market connections between the F512M and the old TR.

One problem for TRs is that those who like the body style tend to prefer the 512TR, and at the moment there are enough of those to go around. That 512TR preference is probably going to overshadow single lug wheels and single mirrors, etc., for a long time.

As you probably know, there are parallels over in the Porsche world, where the '72-'73 911 2.4s are better cars than the 2.0s and 2.2, but lost some of the classic character. Not enough people care about chrome horn grilles, for example, to make the earlier, scarcer ones as valuable.

6. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    #131 bpu699, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    Who says cars aren't investments?

Dow down 33%
    Homes down 50%
    Testarossa's down, what, 10-20%?

Buying a testarossa 5 years ago was a brilliant decision, if I say so myself :).

Look at other ferrari's from the 50's, and 60's. Their are always some "stars." But even the homely, least desirable ferraris, went up dramatically, given enough time. The tide raises all boats, right?

Look at the bright side. What OTHER cars from the mid 80's can you buy for $50k or less, that might appreciate more? I can't think of much, if any. Each generation has their icons...this was it.

And who gives a hoot what todays youth care about the car. Ever watch auctions on TV? Its the 55-70 year olds paying the big bucks. You will always want, what was hot, when you were a teen.

I could care less about old packards, duesenbergs, stanley steamers, and a whole host of old bentleys, rolls, etc. They look antiquated, are slow, parts are impossible to get, and you would never drive them any distance. Yet, the 70 year olds at auction salivate over them. Because THATS what takes THEM back to THEIR youth.

I own a testarossa and a 930. The 2 cars I fantasized about in calculus class, and drew on my history books. For the same money, I could get a new corvette, or an older NSX, a classic Benz, a rare BMW, etc. Yet, I didn't. I just don't have an emotional tie to those cars.

I get in a TR, or the 930 and I immediately flash back to 1987...high school. I Imagine what it must have been like to drive these cars back then, I think of all of the magazine covers. Miami Vice. I think of happeir days before the stress of work, running a business, and having kids.

Thats why folks will buy a testarossa. Because they want one. You can't just replace 25 years of lust with another car because its "lower maintenance" and "parts cost less."

Now, I just need a countach ;).

7. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I follow the early 911 market, too and had not thought that the earlier cars were really less valuable. It depends a lot on condition - I saw an early 911S at 99,500 in Hemmings this month so some of them are being advertised as more than a TR - I guess the few that havent had flares welded on or that just rusted away.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #133 TheMayor, Feb 18, 2010

9. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I respectfully disagree.

Purist of the Testarossa series will want the Testarossa, not the 512tr or the 512M. It will forever be an icon and be known as the first factory mid-engined, 12 cylinder Ferrari sold in the US.

The same goes for owners of the 308 series or the 348 series. They don't necessarily want to own a 328 or a 355.

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo

11. MARANELLONATION

MARANELLONATION Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    North Andover Ma. 01845
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Ferrante
    This is such a facinating thread to follow... so many strong opinions ....and we wonder
    why the The Congress can't agree to get anything done !!!!

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

13. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

TRs are down a bunch more in the last 5 years than 10-20%. Even Ms are down considerably. I like the TRs, 512s and Ms, but I can't see them as being an investment, unless we are speaking about 1957 TRs. They may go up in value, but if you are buying one with the hopes of making money, invest in something else.

Hell for $50K you can get one in nice shape with a recent service, drive the snot out of it for 2 years, sell it and it probably will not lose to much value. Lots of smiles, now there is a reason to buy one.

14. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Be careful what you wish for. Our family has owned Ferraris since the early 70s. The worst part of it was the late 80s when we had to keep the cars in high security prison and rarely drove them because they had become 'valuable' :)

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is very true and drives up cost of ownership in a number of ways. The side effect of that though is that it becomes financially realistic to reproduce NLA parts rather than having to jury rig or adapt something close.

16. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    High mirror moved lower:
    Driving a high mirror Testarossa and making a left turn is an experience. It precisely blocks your view of the traffic. One learns to be very careful about the blind spot very quickly. -

Still it looks so cool.

17. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I agree. The high mirror does look cool, and it is the "original" Testarossa. And if production numbers drive the "collectable" status, then the "M" is a sure winner, with the flying mirror cars followed by a close second. I will put my money on the flying mirror, plus I like to stand out from others.

18. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Three old beetle engines with a water jacket does not a Ferrari make. Enzo said in the front! I pick them up all day for $500 each, I pry the badges off and sell the badges to friends at a profit, the engines power my portable generator until they fail and then I throw them out.

Sorry, I had a rough day and my sense of humor went dark.

I'd like to have a TR someday. In this 50K price range it may happen. As an outsider to the TR world I'd look for one I could work on myself and as of today don't care about year or model, I'd pet it and love it and drive it. Outside the F-car world no one knows the differences that here are considered huge.

19. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #144 Shamile, Feb 18, 2010
    Dear Ferraristi,

As I understand it, the high mirror was for DOT regulations. If the mirror was placed in the (now) normal position, the percentage portion of the rear fender blocking the view was not to regs. Later the regs. changed and the mirror was moved to the standard location....sort of like headlights....only sealed beams...then H1's......no lenses on headlights( Daytona headlight modification) to the 360, Diablo 6.0, murci...even the "cough" 512M

....yeah baby yeah!

...and how many posts were in the "Miami Vice" thread? It's because the history is catching up with the car and everyone that grew up then has those fond memories.

Believe me, when I purposely linked my TR to Miami Vice when coming to the TR/boxer forum many years ago...the boxer girls really had a field day with me.

....ah....so much has changed.

So, yes....the TR will definitely go up. Mine will stay even because I will keep putting mile after depreciating mile on the car.....and I just don't care. :D

oh Bpu....make that a Diablo ! :D

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

20. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Right! and that makes it even more a fashion statement thus more valuable.
    It's a Ferrari not a Camry!

21. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    +1

22. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Been driving an 85 for 6 years and haven't really experienced this myself. This is the first time I've even read anyone mention this 'blind spot'. Maybe I got used to the blind spot so quickly I never even noticed it? :)

Correctamundo there Sham-wow! This is what I've heard and read as well.

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yeah, that makes sense....

24. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Thank you! LOL!

25. Engineer

Engineer Karting

Dec 22, 2004
    I have had my TR for over 10 years and 10k miles and I have yet to reach $10k in maintenance costs. I do lot of my own work but had major service and a steer rack replacement done at a shop. Suggest shopping around for good technicians and do the simple things yourself. Its been lot of fun.