Will someone clarify how I get my new texas registration/inspection sticker? | FerrariChat

Will someone clarify how I get my new texas registration/inspection sticker?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by TexasF355F1, Sep 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I feel like I shouldn't be so confused by this new inspection/registration program but everyone I ask seems to give me a different answer and all are a little vague.

So how do I get my new sticker!?!? I've had my car inspected, it passed, I have the paper document.

Do I know go online, go to the grocery story customer service desk, court house?

2. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    I just took that piece of paper to the tom thumb and they did the registration

3. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I have done several cars so far. After inspecting, I went to the sub-courthouse for two of them and Tom Thumb for the other. Both places saw the recent inspection online and never looked at my paper from the inspection station. Worked better than I expected.

4. Christian Sasfai

Dec 31, 2012
    Heath, Texas
    Full Name:
    Christian Sasfai
    You don't need to do anything with the inspection report. It is tied electronically to the registration process. The only reason you would need the paper report is if the system didn't work for some reason. I recently had a vehicle inspected, then drove directly to the county office to renew the registration, with paper in hand fully expecting it hadn't updated yet, but it had so they must be tied together in real-time.

5. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate y'all answering a rather embarrassingly dumb question.

I'll stop by Kroger or heb this week.

Thanks!

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I renew our registrations online at TxDMV.GOV - Home
    There is a convenience fee, but it is a heck of a lot better than waiting in line @ the local DMV office. If approved, the sticker arrives in a week or so. I think you can even print something up that says you paid, of you're the kind tat likes to wait until the very last second.

I get the inspection done at dealer (my car or wife's) or some small indy shop (the wife's pickup), since by law, the fee is fixed...T

7. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks tom. I may do that. I tried last week at work, but the stupid browser isnt up to date.

I always had the bimmer done at the dealer, but been taking the a3 to a kwik car near the house. They're quick and nice.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Hi Jason...Do you use IE? I have found the Texas DMV site to be a bit clunky with other browsers like Safari and Chrome...T

9. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yea, we use IE, but like most companies they're always behind the curve in updating things like browsers.

10. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Our registration expired in August on the GT. We had it inspected this weekend, and I was able to get online and renew it, even though we were past the date.

Was pleasantly surprised I didn't have to go into the tax office.

11. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I am so glad you posted this, saved me a trip too!

12. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I registered last night online.

Per the website if you have no tickets, you can update with 6 months of expiration and keep the same month.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Interesting. Do recall what the convenience fee is up to for online renewal? My recollection was two bucks...T

14. MAXIMUM810

MAXIMUM810 Karting

Oct 25, 2004
    Online, there's was about a $2 convenience charge, but they also charge a $5 donation to state parks or something. Kroger is also a place you can do your registration.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I thought the donation stuff was voluntary. Hmm. I better check my receipt more closely!
    T

16. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Great question Jason and hopefully the input/experiences will help eliminate the confusion. Even when I took the state and federal legal updates for my LEO license last year this program was so new not even the instructor knew how it worked other than if ones inspection expires before their registration expires it is a non-issue and one cannot/should not be ticketed.

So with that being said my inspection expired this past August but my registration does not expire until 03/2016. I went to a local shop I have been using for about 5yrs in August and they told me I am good until my registration is about to expire. In summary when I receive my registration renewal I get my car inspected and then drive across the street to the local Kroger, present my inspection paperwork and receive my new registration sticker. Also the cost of the inspection has dropped from $39 to $25 which is great news.

I hope this information helps eliminate some of the confusion,
    Gregg

So did I.

17. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Nope...absolutely incorrect. If you get pulled over they will check your inspection and see that you are out of date and write you a ticket. What your inspection station was saying is your registration is good until the next expiration date without a check on the state inspection. You will have to have a current inspection in order to renew your registration. Pretty simple really...just renew your inspection prior to renewing your registration.

18. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #18 texasmr2, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    That is what I said.

From the DPS website:

"Texas Transportation Code §548.602, “Failure to Display Inspection Certificate,” and §548.605, “Dismissal of Charge; Administrative Fee,” have been repealed effective March 1, 2015. It will no longer be a violation of the Transportation Code to operate a motor vehicle without a valid inspection certificate on or after March 1, 2015".

My scenario:
    "Example 3: Inspection expires November 2015; registration expires March 2016:
    Following the expiration of the inspection certificate in November, the vehicle may be operated without a valid inspection sticker or report (Texas Transportation Code §548.602 repealed effective March 1, 2015). To register the vehicle, vehicle owner must obtain a passing inspection report no more than 90 days in advance of registration expiration".

19. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    #19 sidtx, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    I took one of my cars in that had an inspection sticker expiring last month.

The registration, however, is good until April of 2016.

The inspection place told me:
    1. Because my inspection expired after June of 2015, and my registration is still valid, I do not need an inspection until my registration comes up for renewal.
    2. They refused to do the inspection.

This was for an older car (1985 Mercedes). However, I have it registered as a regular use car (no antique and/or no classic registration). Even though it was an older car, I don't believe that it would be any different for my newer cars.

Sid

P.S - I have a son who is a Service Advisor for a new car dealership. I double checked with him, and was told the same story. No need for inspection until my registration comes due.