Will Smart Car fly in US? | FerrariChat

Will Smart Car fly in US?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by SrfCity, Jun 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

#1 SrfCity, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "DaimlerChrysler AG plans to sell the two-seat Smart mini-car in the U.S. from 2008."

Assuming gas will be $5 plus a gallon, do you think Americans are ready for these little things? I'd say Honda and Toyota are on the right track with their sensible alternatives but my guess is the Smart won't really take off.(it's been floundering around here for a year or two already) Any other opinions?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aG3pqSsx2LuI&refer=home

This is their pocket size version ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    They'll fly.. after a soccer mom rear ends one while driving a H2!

I don't think they will! People are still concerned with size. FOR THE MOST PART, people want a four seater, a trunk, and maybe a little leg room! I think the market for the Smart is pretty limited.

I've seen one on the road already...I'm pretty sure it was a Smart. They are tiny.

J

3. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    For a tiny car, they're not bad inside. I and a passenger fit great in the one I test drove. Not a ton of room to haul stuff, but you could get two duffel bags in there for a trip. My wife hates the way they look, I think they're kind of cool in that "different" way.

Oh, and the 6 speed sequential SMG gearbox is kinda cool too.

4. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    They have been a huge hit up here in Canada... every company that needs a fleet of small reasonable cars (geek patrol types) gets one. They're more economical and get more attention than any of the other "driving billboard" cars?

5. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    I'll take one in a heartbeat! Maybe 2!

For commuters like myself (100mi +/day), stopping for gas every 2 days is a pain. I was just watching the news, they stated the Smart car gets 60mpg on the hwy. That's 10 better than my TDI!

Stopping to fill up once a week is Priceless, no matter what gas prices are.

I hate stopping for gas

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    How many foot ounces of torque do those things have...?

Regardless, I think they're cool...

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #7 WILLIAM H, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think they are great for using in cities but its probably awful on a highway. Parking would be excellent & they are cute little buggers so I'm sure they will sell

Ford should build 1 to help their profits

Fun sells
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  9. Farmers Agent

Farmers Agent Karting

May 24, 2004
    I just got back from Italy. We were supposed to get a "mid-sized" car in Rome when my 21 and 19 yr old kids showed up. They did not have any mid sized left so they gave me a 4 seater smart car! We called the kids and told them to repack into a smmmmmallll carry on. My wife and I combined our bag into 1, left the balance of clothes at the hotel we were returning to Rome and drove that sucker with 4 adults and 3 suit cases. We went from rome to pompei, the amafi coast back to senna and them Rome. 6 days or driving. I had that car cruising the autostrada 150k. I was waiting for this clown car to expode but it ran great. I am 6'2 215lbs. I think they would be great here in the states. The 2 seater may suffer but the 4 seater will be a hit. The milage was great and the car was solid.

10. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don't know about the rest of the US, but I think it'll be successful in L.A. Cameron Diaz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Drew Berrymore, and the other green celebrities will be the first to get them.Then there will be small parking spaces at the front of every parking structure specifically for smart cars. They'll be successful, but it'll still be a fad. Just like the G.E.M.

11. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
  12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I'd buy one.......

I told them to bring it in 2 years ago

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Agreed. NYC, DC, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, SF... other than that, people have places to park and can drive normal cars. It'll be a 'downtown' car for urban areas.