Will Mondial rise from being called the "most affordable" Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Will Mondial rise from being called the "most affordable" Ferrari

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Murch, Nov 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I put a couple ounces of two stroke bean oil in mine when I fill up. Mine does smell really good!

2. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    True!
    And I'll add one more as well..
    I love the air horns!

3. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I still crave it. Modern Ferraris don't have it. I do use Liquid Leather conditioner that does give it the smell for a few days. Also use an air freshener they sell but it can't beat that old leather smell :)

Where do you get a $15k service? I did have a £3.5k service on my F355 but there were loads of other repairs done other than belts and oil etc. So even for a T in the UK £12-£13k for a Mondial service would have had me running for the hills.
    The most my QV had spent on a belt service in one go was £1100.

4. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    Mondial's place as the most affordable F-car?

Not the worst thing ever written describing the Mondial, Love mine, lets keep these great cars our secret. A rising tide floats all boats, unless your boat is docked in a small lake..HA!

5. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I believe I explained it well, above, but here it goes again...A major service, here in the states on a t is roughly $8000. Add in the incidentals that haven't been addressed in prior services...fuel/coolant hoses, CV boots, clutch, fuse box, roller bearing on 89's, or any combination of those mentioned and there's your $12-15k, easily.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    it all depends on condition (which I believe what you are saying) -- I argue if a Mondial has really been neglected - heck 12-15K? - it could be more then the purchase price itself! :) (just part it)

$8000 seems a bit steep for a major though.

Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale charges $6,375 for it

Cheers

7. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    MalcQV - I've read many posts on here which have led me to conclude servicing costs in the US are just extortioniate in comparison to the UK but, interestingly, the prices to buy F cars seem generally lower.

8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    It was a genuine (shocked) question and not me contending your quote :)

It seems so, even Paul's quote was high. My F355, belts changed and oil change for less than £2k when I sold it last year. F355 servicing would be a similar cost to a Mondial T here. The £3.5k service was the year after I bought it and there were other issues which had to be addressed such as CATs, new tensioner to name a few.
    I probably would not own a Ferrari in the USA. I sold the F355 because the engine out servicing (along with a few annoying issues I had, had) seemed so expensive and unpredictable at £3.5k. That is a walk in the park in the USA :eek:

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No.

Pete

10. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    History shows were pretty bad about predicting the future!
    So many similar posts on fchat about will such an such model appreciate.

Heck in the biz section you can find posts about Google and Facebook ipo's being a joke and who would buy them.

Look at this way in some ways id prefer a 328, but I have a family who I wanted to share my passion with.

So bought an 88 3.2 for a lot less than a 328 back then. Im already ahead....
    its worth more than I paid. Happy camper here, with actually room in the back to go camping!

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Edit: My major was $4800, not $6800.