Will Mondial rise from being called the "most affordable" Ferrari | FerrariChat

Will Mondial rise from being called the "most affordable" Ferrari

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Murch, Nov 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Murch

Murch Rookie

Nov 8, 2016
    Australia
    I am considering buying a Mondial QV, and must say I have yet to drive one. But I am concerned if it will always be considered the entry Ferrari. I would love a 308 GT4 but left my run too late and now double the cost of a Mondial is hard to consider.
    Despite power to weight concerns of Mondial, from what I read it is fun to drive, so will Mondial rise and become a worthy Ferrari (and appreciate)?
    I appreciate your views.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The 2+2s will always lag behind the 2 seaters in value. In addition, the Mondial is very clearly a product of its time. There's nothing wrong with a Mondial, but the demand for other models will always be higher. Ultimately, it's demand that drives prices.

Get a Mondial if you enjoy and desire the car. Don't get one as an investment -- maintenance costs alone will eat any minor appreciation.

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Take a look at the 'Dino' 246... It wasn't even called a Ferrari at the time, they would even pay you extra when you purchased one second hand LOL

Until 5 years ago when someone said that it's a Ferrari after all ... Now their prices went x 20 at least!

4. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Good point!

They are very raw and exciting cars to drive that is like nothing else out there (besides other Ferrari's).

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I don't think the Mondial will ever be a highly collectable car. It is and will remain a entry level car for many years in my opinion. And personally I think it's a good thing. We all wish a car we own go up in value AFTER we bought it but is it really a good thing?

I personally owned a 3.2 CAB and loved the car and I'm still a Mondial fan and would own one again anytime but only if the price stay as they are.

Buy one, enjoy it as much as possible and be proud of it IT'S A FERRARI. The're fun and easy to maintain. The only negative I have about them is their convertible top mechanism.

6. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    The Cheapest ones to buy in Europe are 37.500,- euro's and the priciest ones 100.000,-
    I still think that its a hell of car for the money, nobody ever thought the 308 gt4 would go up like they do right now. In Holland you can buy many 308 GTB-GTS Ferrari's for less than a good gt4, so don't let them tell you anythinh different.

7. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    The Mondials will always lag behind the 3x8 series.

However, you should try one. They have the same drive train as the 3x8. They have more interior room, and (to me) are more comfortable. The engine/exhaust sound in a tunnel is just incredible.

I personally haven't done it, but some report that due to the longer wheelbase, the Mondial is better handling and will outperform a 3x8 on the track.

As for entry level, take a look at prices when the cars were sold. Here in the US, the Mondial was more expensive than the 3x8. In other words, the 3x8 was the entry level Ferrari. I believe Mondials will grow in price. However, that will be slow, and always lagging behind the 3x8s. Don't buy one for an investment. Buy one to drive and enjoy.

I've owned a Mondial for 2 years now, 1985 QV Coupe. It's fun to drive, makes fantastic noises (especially above 5K RPM), and never fails to attract compliments.

I take it to car shows and/or cars & coffee events almost monthly. Never had a bad or ugly comment. In fact, at a C&C where there are usually 15 new Ferrari's, 10+ new Lambos, 5+ McClarens, P 918s, etc. -- my Mondial is usually gathering as much attention as the newer cars. In fact, it is usually the only "Unique" car there. It also doesn't hurt that I let anyone, including kids, sit in the car, honk the horn, etc. Something that most owners of a brand new 488 wouldn't even consider.

I love my Mondial. It's fun, easy to work on, sounds great, drives great. And, I think they will end up being one of the rarer vintage Ferrari V8s. They were produced in much fewer numbers than the 3x8s. Only about 3700 Coupes and 2500 Cabs. That's about 6200 total cars (world wide production). Far fewer than the 3x8, which I think was about 11K.

Kind of a long winded way of saying: Try one. You won't regret it.

Sid

ellum likes this.
  8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I'm with Stekkefun4 all the way, he's either really old with a good memory or is well versed in Ferrari attitudes, prices, appreciation and history. The dealers create the market and people are their sheep. They tell you a Dino is crap and they buy warehouses full of then at 6K each, then they tell you they are the only true Ferrari and they cash in.......bahhhhh! Ha ha!
    Look at the prices of old Aston Martin cars now they are not even half as good as a Mondial, not the DB5-6 V8 Vantage.
    All these cars are owned by speculators who can't drive them. The Mondial and all the 308 cars have similar flaws BUT once you get the hang of how they work, they seriously grow on you.
    Get One! Life's too short, jump on and trade up if you are not satisfied... truth is you will never trade up because you'll love it. :)

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    mondials will always be in that entry level category particularly the early ones. Sadly those who dismiss the car based on other peoples perceptions are missing out on a fun car. I seem to drive mine more than my 348 and lotus esprit. Right now though you can get a 360 for less than a nice Mondial T cabrio, yet the perception will always be there. Bluntly if you are "concerned" about what others will think of you car choice, probably best if you wait and buy one people will approve of....

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    There are many thread and posts on this topic over the years, and nothing has changed, really.

^^^ This says it all.

11. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    If you look at all the other cars Ferrari has built through the years, what would take the Mondial's place as the most affordable car? There is really nothing.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #12 paulchua, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Welcome, and thanks for your honest questions. I understand your concern. Part of the Ferrari mystique is the prestige and exclusivity the marque engenders. For the Mondial? Not so much. Will it ever be? Nobody knows; so you always have to assume the worst; that some will always denigrate the Mondial - forever.

Is it a 'bad' car? Outside subjective criticisms such as style, I can objectively prove most other negative comments as outright myth or have no bearing in today's (circa 2017) context. (Be happy to take any objective challenge/question in this thread if you like)

Since other's perceptions and monetary appreciation are of a big concern to you, I would look at other models.

I hope this doesn't come off as haughty; it not intended as such. As others here have said, you have to buy a Mondial first and foremost because *you* feel it is a 'worthy' Ferrari *today*, what happens tomorrow or what other people think should be a secondary thought. Otherwise, you may be setting yourself up for deep disappointment.

Finally, you should at least drive one, this all might be moot if you don't even like the driving experience!

Be well

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The mantle moves. They built a lot of 360s. In time I think the 360 will
    Be large discount to the 430 for belt reasons. California too will drop. Just takes time.

14. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    You could purchase a nice 308 GT4 for less than $25k 3-4 years ago.

I would expect the Mondial becomes more "lovable" as time goes by, just like the Dino, GT4 and 365 GTB4. Never buy as an investment, but history would seem to indicate that it's only a matter of time.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #15 paulchua, Nov 11, 2016
    Very True

Notice the disparaging quotes about how these are stupid purchases in the comments section

;)

Happy that the new owners had the last laugh...

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #16 paulchua, Nov 11, 2016
    Agreed, every car has to follow it's full depreciation curve. 360's still has a ways down until it hits the 'baseline' and then it starts appreciating again... it's an incredible value right now.

16,365 I believe vs the 4,000 for the Mondial 8,qv,3.2 - about 4X more.

I consider the t to be the 'modificata' so should be compared to the 430 production numbers

so about 10,000 F430s vs 2,000 Ts. 5X more.

In total 360/430 = ~26K made
    In total Mondial = ~6K made (I would say 15% are in various parts bins today) - so probably around 5K left.

So the statement there are about 5 times more 360/430 then Mondials I don't think is an unfair statement if one is trying to gauge relative rarity.

Now that sweater man is clearly trying to position Ferrari to be more "Porsche-like" in regards to production numbers, will we see more appreciation for Ferrari cars pre-Marchionne in 20 years?

He wants to use Hybrids to get around the 10K cap on production for emissions exemption....

Who knows.?!

17. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The Mondial is a great car. But it depends what you want it for. If you want a car that's awesome to drive and fully embodies the vintage Ferrari experience, the Mondial is an amazing car. The QV is my favourite model. It has the vintage 70's holdover styling of the 8, with an updated engine that fixed the power drop experienced by the 8 having to cope with new emission standards...best of both worlds IMO.

If short term investment is more your cup of tea, you might consider getting over your trepidation and seek out a good GT/4. Be careful though. They were also considered "undesirable" Ferrari's for a long time, and as such many have been badly treated - lots of deferred maintenance and issues resulting from that on a lot of cars I've seen. You can get in very deep restoring any of these cars. There are a lot of crappy GT/4's floating around right now asking restored GT/4 money, IMO.

As for the Mondial, I know of an Oro/black Mondial 8 for sale in Germany right now that is asking 62,500 Euros. Same seller has sold 308 GT/4's for upwards of 130k euro recently, so while many here would laugh at the idea of a $70k Mondial 8, someone is already asking that. The Mondial will likely always be worth less than the Dino 308 GT/4, but I can honestly see it being worth more than a newer California in 10 years. The California is a post Enzo era car, paddle shift, with an engine shared by Maserati, and styling that is really not that different to a lot of other cars on the road. The Mondial is a vintage car with a unique look. Lots of former "ugly ducklings" have shot up in value due to that metric.

But I wouldn't buy any car unless I loved the car. Double that for a Ferrari.

Personally, I like the Mondial because specifically because it's different. It does have odd styling. But I like it. The 308 GTB/GTS is a lovely car and I'd be very happy to own one, but it's less idiosyncratic and special to me. In other words, the 308's say "I wanted a Ferrari", while the Mondial says "I wanted a Mondial".

18. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The Mondial is a great car. But it depends what you want it for. If you want a car that's awesome to drive and fully embodies the vintage Ferrari experience, the Mondial is an amazing car. The QV is my favourite model. It has the vintage 70's holdover styling of the 8, with an updated engine that fixed the power drop experienced by the 8 having to cope with new emission standards...best of both worlds IMO.

If short term investment is more your cup of tea, you might consider getting over your trepidation and seek out a good GT/4. Be careful though. They were also considered "undesirable" Ferrari's for a long time, and as such many have been badly treated - lots of deferred maintenance and issues resulting from that on a lot of cars I've seen. You can get in very deep restoring any of these cars. There are a lot of crappy GT/4's floating around right now asking restored GT/4 money, IMO.

As for the Mondial, I know of an Oro/black Mondial 8 for sale in Germany right now that is asking 62,500 Euros. Same seller has sold 308 GT/4's for upwards of 130k euro recently, so while many here would laugh at the idea of a $70k Mondial 8, someone is already asking that. The Mondial will likely always be worth less than the Dino 308 GT/4, but I can honestly see it being worth more than a newer California in 10 years. The California is a post Enzo era car, paddle shift, with an engine shared by Maserati, and styling that is really not that different to a lot of other cars on the road. The Mondial is a vintage car with a unique look. Lots of former "ugly ducklings" have shot up in value due to that metric.

But I wouldn't buy any car unless I loved the car. Double that for a Ferrari.

Personally, I like the Mondial because specifically because it's different. It does have odd styling. But I like it. The 308 GTB/GTS is a lovely car and I'd be very happy to own one, but it's less idiosyncratic and special to me. In other words, the 308's say "I wanted a Ferrari", while the Mondial says "I wanted a Mondial".

ellum likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautifully stated Dave

20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Paul. Apparently I thought so, too - I posted it twice! Lol.

21. bagster

bagster Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 22, 2014
    I recently sold my mondial. Made some money and had 1000 miles of fun! The music coming from the exhaust means it's a ferrari. I DO think that the market will catch up on these cars. The hardtops are imo a nicer looking ride. I bought my convertible for 17500 and sold a year later for 29000. I'd consider that ok in the car world.

22. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I am not going to comment on the Mondial, I have done so many times in the past much to the chagrin of the Mondial fans on this site.

I will comment on the 308 GT4. There are about 10 for sale right now in the USA and they are not moving. I think the boomlet in GT4 prices is over. I believe you can buy a 308 GT4 for similar price to a Mondial if you find the right seller, for cars in similar condition. There are some folks who think they own the holy grail and want $80K for their cars, but the realistic prices are in the $40s. I owned a GT4 for about ten years and it's the only Ferrari I regret selling. They too are an acquired taste but in my opinion a much sportier car than the Mondial with less to go wrong. For example, the sunroof is a manual, very easy to operate, but it won't bankrupt you like the Mondial sunroof will. The looks are not for everyone but they do look sharper than the Mondial in my opinion, particularly the later cars and the Euro cars. The interior is definitely easier on the eye than the acres of flat vinyl in the Mondial, and the analog gauges are much prettier. The only negative is the handling is crappy on the original tyres. Understeer then nasty oversteer when you floor it. Put some modern rubber on them and they are much better. I still have a set of tyres for my GT4 if anyone is in need, in Pacific NW.

And as far as appreciation is concerned, the GT4 was made in very small numbers and it's an older car, so I think it's more likely to resume appreciation when the market has had a little time to digest.

23. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Very interesting to read the US commentary on Ferrari values. Here in the UK, you could pick up a solid, well maintained 360 2 years ago for £40-50k. Now, the same car is advertised for £70-80k. Ultra low mileage manuals are up into 6 figures.

So IF that inflation sticks, a UK 360 bottomed out 2 years ago.

I love my Mondial and even when I'm in a box, I dearly hope my two sons enjoy it for many more years.

24. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I don't think a Mondial is the car for you (Or perhaps any Ferrari). If the perception by others is a concern with regards to it being entry level, then the abilities of the car seem to be of a secondary consideration, and that's the wrong reason for buying one. You'll end up hating it.

A good car stands alone in its abilities with price being subjected to market forces (Of which we have no control).

Buy what you like, enjoy it and forget about the money. If you are looking to buy a car that appreciates, do not buy a Mondial. Perhaps this may change in the future, but currently the car will swallow large amounts of cash in maintenance mitigating any appreciation in the short term.

I don't own a Mondial, but I've driven all four models extensively and I love them. Light airy cabin, nice sounds, very tactile steering, really decent handling and a high degree of road holding. I also think they're a styling masterpiece especially with the large amount of interior space taken into account.

Here's a nice little video from John Pogson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHkU1h_sKM4

25. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    My 2 cents, and take into account mine is a t coupe, not a QV, and I've not driven a QV.

I've had and driven a wide variety of vehicles, from karts to motorcycles, mid-50's touring cars to modern race prep cars. I never bought one expecting it to appreciate, I bought them because I wanted to drive them. I loved them all because they're cars and they all have different personalities. Much like women, they all have their idiosyncrasies and if mishandled will bite back hard, and not when you expect it.

I absolutely love driving the Mondial. It's a visceral experience, that you feel in your gut, not your head. It has characteristics that remind me of my '97 M3, in handling and power, but the sound is exquisite. It has a radio, but I have no idea if it works, the car sounds and feels that good.

Is it the fastest, no. Does it handle the best of cars I've driven, no. Is it expensive to maintain, yes, but so are my other older cars, some even more so if something were to break or get damaged.

Will it ever be appreciated in the car world, I don't know and, in short, I don't care what anyone else thinks, because I love it.