Will I be happy with a Toyota FJ SUV? | FerrariChat

Will I be happy with a Toyota FJ SUV?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by toggie, Sep 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #1 toggie, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm thinking of buying a Toyota FJ as a new SUV.
    Does anyone have any experience with them?

My usage would include:
    - my daily driver (I'm retired so no commute distance needed)
    - mostly taking 1 or 2 people at a time
    - every once in a while, taking a 3rd or 4th person (might be an adult in the back seat)
    - driving in the snow in the winter months
    - putting golf clubs in the back during the summer months
    - taking the occasional 400 mile road trip

No real need for off-road use.
    I live in Northern Virginia, so our snow is limited to several small snowstorms a year - typically less than a foot of snow at a time.

Would like something reliable and not too ridiculously bad on gas mileage.

No specific budget limitation for my next dd car. Just looking for "something different".

Current daily driver is an Audi S5 Convertible with 330 hp and 7-speed dual-clutch trans.
    I'll be selling it (or trading it in) and replacing it with the FJ.

What are the best features of the FJ? What are the worst?

How much do they feel like driving a truck vs. a car?
    I own a Chevy Silverado 4x4, so I'm familiar with that kind of ride.

The other SUV I'm thinking of is the Jeep Wrangler 4-door. A better choice than the FJ?

Thanks for the feedback.

As far as color, I'm thinking a white one with a roof rack would be the way to go.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    We reviewed the FJ Cruiser earlier this summer. Here are my thoughts:

http://doubleclutch.ca/1344/2012-toyota-fj-cruiser/

The FJ in my opinion is absolutely horrendous in terms of fuel consumption. While it's an absolute beast off-road, there are much better choices for daily drivers out there. Just my $0.02 though.

3. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    it felt like a camry with poor tires to drive, and the interior was smaller than it should have been IMO
    if dont need a truck, why not an estate (wagon) instead, car comfort with hauling space inside, the all wheel drive audi or merc estates offer a lot of value, and likely much better mileage

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    #4 parkerfe, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    As a fellow S5 Cab owner, you will not be happy with the poor interior quality, build quality and road noise of an FJ. And, your S5 gets better MPG than the FJ anyway. One of my good friends bought an FJ because he liked the way it looked and now regrets getting it. The FJ is too small, underpowered, has a cheap interior and gets poor mpg. For a nice small SUV, get a VW Tiquan. If you want something a little bigger, both the Porsche Cayenne or VW Tourage are nice and are offered in diesel. My daughter owns a 2009 Tiquan that has been trouble free for over 50k miles and still drives like new. If you don't want to spend that much on a new one, buy a certified Tiquan, Cayenne or Tourage with a 100k mile certified warranty and enjoy a luxury SUV for the price of a Toyota.

5. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    #5 05011994, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    I have owned my FJ for a year and have put around 20,000 miles on it during that time. I could not be happier with my truck, I had owned Audis for the last 10 years as daily drivers and had been very happy with them, but wanted to try something different. I noticed that one of the most popular daily drivers in Rocky Mountain Ferrari Club (Denver) was the FJ Cruiser, so I asked 2 of the owners (both owned Scuderias at the time) why they had FJs when they could have any car they wanted. They said, you just had to own one to understand (one is on his 3rd FJ now he puts around 85,000 miles on them and gets a newer each time, the other has had 2 of them over the last 6 years and bought his son one as well), they just work so well for everything and are fun to drive. I also asked a friend in my business who had been a serial car changer why he had an FJ, and he said the same thing; he had just gotten rid of a Volvo XC90 that he said he hated with a passion. I took the plunge based upon their recommendations and the fact that our lifestyle needed something that could go off road occasionally (the Allroad really could not). Here are my thoughts:

Pros: Bullet proof reliable (as opposed to BMW, Mercedes, VW/Porsche, Land Rover), fun to drive, cheap to modify and maintain. Very comfortable for a real SUV (not a cute ute like a Highlander, Cayenne, Q7, X5). Easy to clean interior and the dog really enjoys riding in the back (she refused to ride in the back of the Allroad). It does a great job of getting where we want to go and we have never had to back down a trail, (just went up Argentina pass yesterday to see fall colors and is was a piece of cake, no way with the Audis). Depreciation is very low on used ones in Colorado (benefit when you are trying to sell, not so much when buying, when I bought both of the Audis, they were 2 years old and around 50% of what they cost new). Power is fine, I go up and down the Interstate 70 from (7400 feet at home down to the city for work at 5280 feet) and have never had a problem with power.

Cons: Blind spot does take getting used to, fuel economy is only 21 mpg (the Allroad was only 22 mpg, so not much worse than before), does handle like an SUV not a car, sensitive to very high winds and windshield is prone to chips do to its near vertical configuration.

In comparison with a Jeep, I have a guy in my office that bought a brand new 2012 Rubicon and he has had had it back to the dealer for issues 3 times already in the last 5 months, so I do not think that Fiat has improved the reliability…

I would suggest you drive one for as long as you can; before making a decision, (my local dealer was very cooperative and let me borrow it for several hours) to see if it is for you. It is a car that you will either really like or not. For me the choice was between a wagon like the Audi A4 or the FJ and it has worked out great for me. Best of luck in your decision.

6. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    Rated as #2 on the worst cars of 2012, so that must say something. 4 Jeeps were also on the list so I dont think there build quality is very good.

7. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    i've heard they are not that great too. I like the looks though.
    May as well get a 4th Gen 4runner & use bilstein 5100's to lift it to your fit & be happy.

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I loved my 3rd Gen 4Runner, full leather with a scat load of room and there was nothing it could not tackle once I locked the center diff. I would not touch an FJ and I talked my mother out of getting one a few years back and I am pro-Toyota.

9. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    If you already have a 4wd truck, I wouldn't seen the point in buying another. Though I'd take the FJ over a jeep. You can get a hard top, but that's defeating the point of a jeep to me. And the soft top is more of a toy.
    I'd go with something more fun/comfortable.

10. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #10 4re Nut, Sep 16, 2012
    I've not owned one but have sat in several and a friend consider one but bought a 4Runner instead.

How tall/big are you?

My friend and I are both ~ 6'2"; we found the interior almost claustrophobic, especially in terms of headroom. Might be able to get use to it...or not.

I love the design; it has aged well and will be iconic and tough to beat the Toyota quality rep.

Personally, I'd go with the Wrangler b/c a) you can go topless b) full 4 door option c) more comfortable (subjective).

That said, if Toyota had moved forward with the convertible FJ I might say otherwise.

Another factor to consider is resale. It is amazing how strong the market is for Wranglers and FJs, http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars/.

Somewhat limited supply and not many options for cross-shopping.

Buy one and if you don't like it you can get out of it w/o losing your shirt...and then get a Wrangler. :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    #11 05011994, Sep 16, 2012
  12. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    According to your criteria, the Infiniti FX cannot be beat. Either that or a Chevy.

13. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nice!

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    great pics!

I love FJ's, great trucks.

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    btw if you're thinking of an FJ or Wrangler 4 door, and don't have a specific budget, how about the G-wagen?

16. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I had a 4WD 6-speed for several years. Here are my thoughts:

Cons: Poor fuel consumption, vertical windshield constantly subjected to major stone chips, poor rearward visibility, limited rear seat space (but not as bad as you might expect), hard interior plastics.

Pros: It was fun and I loved it! Go-anywhere-do-anything ruggedness, bulletproof reliability. Despite the drawbacks, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

17. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hnestly, for ALL you stated requirements, and no need for off-road use, your current S5 is a far better and much more suitable vehicle - and a far more enjoyable drive, too.

18. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    He's right, unless you have something to prove, you could settle with something far more comfortable, luxurious, and fuel efficient than a FJ. Maybe selling both your S5 and Silverado and getting a nice diesel would be something to look into. The performance and visual modifications with those are endless. Just a thought.

19. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I have also been wanting an SUV for some time now. I would never go off-roading, but the streets around here are absolute garbage and we do get the occasional floodwaters from time-to-time. Also I'd just like to be higher up and in something that will come out well in a collision.

I was originally thinking a Lexus GX, but got scared away by the known problems that it has. I also like the tahoes/yukons, but I couldn't get around the whole GM-ness. Looked into 4runners for awhile. . . and now have been thinking about a Wrangler Unlimited. They get expensive once you option them up but the dealers discount them unlike the 4runner.

My dad had a wrangler unlimited for a few years (and he usually only keeps a car for a short time). I don't think he had any problems and the resale was strong even with a lot of miles.

Personally I don't like the FJ. They look kind of cool but just a little too odd. And the two doors and extra spartanness prevents it from being practical.

I'll probably dump some more miles on my car and when I get a shorter commute I'll finally pull the trigger on some sort of SUV.

20. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Not me, too slow. But I realize some ppl like/need that.

21. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Technically it DOES have back doors ;)

22. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I own a 2012 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Rubicon and it's better in almost all respects to the FJ IMO. A sport model is cheaper, you can see much better out of it(blind spots in the FJ) and it gets up and goes way better. MPG better, although I don't understand where the figures come from as advertised-18-20 highway's the best I've seen. And, it rides as well as the FJ. FJ is probably more reliable but 15K miles later no issues. But, given your needs, I don't see the point of either. Considered a wagon like a Jetta TDI or similar?