Will Ferrari dump Bridgestone? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Will Ferrari dump Bridgestone?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4i2fly, May 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    yep, so you can run enough to qualify and start the race and then pit right away or full load and pit late.

2. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    A well calculated STRATEGY! Ferrari are the masters of strategy!

3. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    BUT, If I was Ron Dennis or Flavio Briatore, I'd be wondering the same and run light loads too......but...........throw the dice..........

4. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Knowing that Jean Todt will make sure that Rubens makes some traffic before Kimi or Alonso are going to pit. Slowing them down. Handing the victory to Michael. F1 is a team sport and Ferrari are a strong team!

The problem with McLaren and Renault is that they are not teams. They are individuals who wear the same uniform. :) At the end of the day if Alonso, Kimi, Fisichella or DC could drive for Ferrari they would move without a second's thought. I am certain that there is no other place that Rubens or Michael would rather be than at Ferrari.

5. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Okay wait a second here. My understanding of the rules during Qualifying now is that the car will go out and qualify and then go and park the car on Saturday. On Sunday, you will race the car as is, no adjustments allowed before the race, is this still the rules or am I mistaken?

To Speedmore, I was under the impression that the tyres needs to time to warm up to its operating temperture, once the temp is up, the Bridgestones are just as competitive. The Michellin runners can go out on a light load (Qualifying trim), and their tyres are already up and running thus put them ahead of the Ferraris already in Q1, but now, everyone will have to run a heavier fuel load (Race trim), where the F-2005 is more competitive. And with a heavier fuel load on the Michellin runners, they will in fact make "their tyres" work harder. Perhaps Bridgestones are more favorable with a heavier car (Heavier car = better traction) when cold? so as the fuel load goes down on the F-2005, the tyres are already warmed up and thus off set the lack of traction of a lightload F-2005 with cold tyres. Than again, I could be completely wrong here, which won't be the first time :) But I think this is what MS and JT are talking about.

6. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore

7. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    The 2005 season starts at Nurburgring! Ferrari 1 - 2!

8. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    It maybe true you get more traction with heavier fuel load but in contrast the car will be a b!tch to control and tougher to get up to speed.

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out, but if Michael can run the quali with a heavy load in first two rows there is good chance he could finish the race first.

9. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Just like McCoy said, "Dame it, Jim. I am a doctor, not an engineer!!!" :)

These are just my guess, that's all. As far as if the full fuel loaded car is going to handle like a pig or not, wouldn't that depend on what the car's natural tendency is? I mean, isn't it possible that the F-2005 on cold tyre will handle better with a little more weight than with less weight? I am not saying that they design the car that way on purpose, but just as for some reason, it just turned out that way.

10. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Physically, it's much tougher to get a heavier car behave well under braking and cornering than when it's lighter, especially on cold tires and less than optimal traction/friction forces.

Regarding the F2005, your guess is as good as mine. I think the advantage will come from Michael's ability to drive and man handle the car during the quali.

11. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    That was the impression I got, too: Michelin whomped up a tire that runs fast for a couple of laps, goes off slightly, then comes back a little, giving them a good hot lap for qualifying. Whereas Bridgestone needed to build a harder compound tire to last the distance, so it takes more laps to get warmed up than qualifying provides.

But that just spurs the question: Why not crank up the voltage on the tire cookers? ;)

But then, maybe they did, and wound up with bald tires before the race was over.

Any way you spin it, Bridgestone looks like they still don't have the combination of speed and longevity.

But they've got every reason to work on it: Right now, Brickstone isn't the first name people think of when looking for track tires for your street Ferrari.