Will Ferrari dump Bridgestone? | FerrariChat

Will Ferrari dump Bridgestone?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4i2fly, May 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    During commentary by SpeedTV’s announcers at the Monaco’s Thursday practice, even the big boss Luca was quoted to identify the four problems the Ferrari has this year, one in each corner... Announcers said Bridgestone have developed a new compound for their race team to be used at Monaco. According to their (Bridgestone) technical director who was quoted to say a bold statement to the effect if Ferrari does not do well at Monaco then the season is pretty much done for the team...

I am afraid the chance of getting the rubber compound correct and meet FIA’s new regulations while still be competitive with the Michelin runners is pretty slim. Is this the end of the happy marriage and what will happen to Bridgestone if Ferrari dumps them?

2. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    No one is dumping no one!

Ferrari have a great working partnership with bridgestone. The combined package of the F2005 and the Bridgestone tires and the new regulations has created some straines on the relationship. The F2004 worked perfectly on Bridgestone rubber.

How come nobody complains when things are going right?

3. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    This is big time racing, i wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. When Luca is saying the only problem were have is right there on the four corners of the car, it would consititute a problem.

4. davel

davel Guest

Consistency is the key. Great in 02, not so great in 03. Great in 04 and now its a mess in 05. Why not try Michelin. Whats to lose.

5. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    It will take about 2 years or more to build the kind of technical partnership with Michelin that Ferrari have with Bridgestone.

AND.......

What is to say Michelin will agree? They might just tell Ferrari NO!

P.S. Flight delays suck!

6. davel

davel Guest

Just drink more :) You wont notice the time mate :)

7. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I believe Ferrari have a decision to make at the end of the season or even mid season if they don't believe there is any chance of becoming a contender with Bridgestone. This is a business based on winnings and if the business is suffering for lack of grip and longevity of the tires to bring championships home, you bet they will end the partnership. No simulation data can replace real life test data. Michelin runners have racked up 100,000s of Kilometers where Bridgestone at a fraction. They won't be competitive if they continue in the same fashion. Unless they make significant more investments into their development program they will not have a chance against Michelins. Bridgestone cornered themselves into this position by entering into a close partnership with Ferrari which alienated others to go the other way. Let's see how they do in Monaco and what the aftermath will be.

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    This just in: "Italian shoe manufacturers group Moda announces they're making "footwear" for the F1-2005 Ferrari"
    ("We may not be winning, but we look good.) :D

flem at 11

9. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    What, do you own stock in bridgestone or something? :D

10. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    ..is that Bridgestone will get it right, if not this season then certainly by the next.

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thinking about all this, I just discovered Mad Max' and Bernie's master plan from 2004:

With Ferrari's dominance F1 viewership went downhill, so Bernie was unhappy.
    With the Michelin-Bridgestone tire war at hand, the cars lap times dropped by seconds per year, hence increasing the risks for a serious accident. That made Max unhappy.

They sat together, discussed the problem and realized that by introducing a rule change, that would require lots of testing miles, they would get Ferrari into a difficult position.

Sure enough 2005 Ferrari no longer dominated and quickly realized, that their tires were to blame. Bernie was happy as the season became a lot more interesting and viewership increased with the new drama.

The scuderia decided to drop the Bridgestones tires and switch to Michelin for 2006. That left Bridgestone with Minardi and Jordan. No other big team wanted to expose themselves to the risk Ferrari had in 2005 and so Bridgestone was left with two underperforming teams. They realized this way they could never win a title and pulled out of F1.

At the beginning of 2006 only Michelin was left and since there was no more need for competition, their tire compounds became harder and more reliable. Subsequently the lap times increased and so did the safety margin. That made Max happy.

Si non e vero e bon trovato.
    :)

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I wonder why Ferrari doesn't use Pirelli tires?...after all, Pirelli is an Italian company!

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    If they don't perform better, there won't be a next year for Bridgestone.

14. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Pirelli was in F1 in the 80 and nineties. While they were ok, and won with the Benneton on occasion i think, i don't think the have the resources to put together an effort like bridgestone does.

15. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    the bridgestone tires by themselves are perfect! The Bridgestone tires on the F2005 have certain problems. Changing the tire technical partner will not do any good because it is very possible that the F2005 can adversely react to Michelins or Pirellis or Goodyears!

16. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I disagree...apparantly Ross Brown is confident about their aero package of the F2005 where they are not resorting to winglets like other teams to add down force for the Monaco circiut which means the car is fine.

There is no doubt that the interworkings of the tires, downforce and mechanical grip will all play a huge role in faster lap times. This means the data supplied from Ferrari to the tire manufacturer has been used ineffectively and even the Bridgestone's technical director is saying, in essense they have screwed up this year and if they haven't got it right for this race they might as well forget about their hopes for the rest of the season.

17. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

The tires are underdeveloped for the car. If they were perfect they'd be fast on another car and I don't see Jordan or minardi going much faster than last year. Then again that would take a miracle.

18. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I wonder if Goodyear will return to F1? This looks like a window of opportunity for them. I guess it all depends on if Goodyear thinks it it would be profitable or not. Michelin vs Goodyear, now that is a good match up for a tire war.

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True, but I don't want a tire war. I want a spec tire for everybody. Take the stupid rubber out of the equation and let the cars and drivers decide the championship.

I had this opinion btw all along, even when Bridgestone gave Ferrari an advantage: I want the car/driver to win the race, not the tire. I consider tires interchangable consumables like fuel and oil.

20. Neal K.

Neal K. Karting

May 9, 2005
    Clarence, N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Neal
    You make some valid points. My initial response
    is to say how can Ferrari "dump" the tyre maker
    who helped the team achieve six straight
    Constructor Championships. Second, the comeback
    both the team and Bridgestone made after the
    Hungarian debacle in 2003 was pure "professional"
    at its best, recovering from being lapped at
    "Magyarul" to win the U.S. and Japanese G.P.'s,
    Michael and Rubens respectively. Then there
    is the unparalled success of last year.
    Yet, Michelin has all those other teams it supplies,
    making it seem from an outsider like me looking in
    that Bridgestone must be behind or it wouldn't
    have so few F1 clients.

21. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    Let us look at a few parallels.
    Marlboro and McLaren Marlboro dumped McLaren for Ferrari.
    McLaren dumped Porsche
    Honda dumps Williams
    Cooperate relationships are not marriages they are symbiotic relationships that are brokered in boardrooms.
    With multimillions at stake, publicity - there is no such thing
    as bad publicity is not true - Audi and unintended acceleration make the point.
    Bridgestone continuing to get bad press will spill into the boardroom and Bridgestone will withdraw to save face to
    the mutual satisfaction of both Ferrari and Bridgestone.
    Stephen

22. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    What perfect? Then explain to me why a Japanese team is not using a Japanese Tire...........Toyota knows something we don't.....fundamental problems

23. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Can you please tell me when was the last time Toyota won 6 Constructor's World Championships in a row?

24. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    What relevance is that? Toyota is a huge company with an enormous budget and when they go racing they go to win. No doubt they will win championships too. Go back and look at IMSA GT and later in FIA Group C.....they have the resources, spend the money on the best equipment and package available. They chose not use Bridgestone, who is in their backyard. You'd think there would be strong partnerships available to them because of that would you not. Toyota may have stayed away from Bridgestone, thus hurting technology/testing info sharing with Ferrari, because of Ferrari.

The facts are that Bridgestone does not have the experience making a tire last. They dominated when race strategy had 2-3 pitstops with tire changes each time because they could use a real soft compound that had gobs of mechanical grip imediately but did not have to last. Now they are struggling with chemistry needed to this job. Michelin has been doing it for years in endurance racing and thus have a large knowledge base in making a tire perform for upwards of an hour thirty on GT cars, about an hour for prototypes.

Bridgestone will have to burn more than the mid night oil. You just can't say the tire is perfect if it does not help them get on the front row. It's damn hard to move through the field these days because the depth of the field is much stronger and almost impossible at a track like Monte.....If you are not up front at the start, the only way you get there is by attrition.

The car is fast, and the tire is fast..........but it has to be fast all the time for it to be perfect and doing the job needed to win at the level the rest of the field is now.

25. davel

davel Guest

The car is fast, and the tire is fast..........but it has to be fast all the time for it to be perfect and doing the job needed to win at the level the rest of the field is now.
    EXACTLY!!! Starting with lap 1 of Qualifying!!!