Will EVs become collectible or just Recycled? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Will EVs become collectible or just Recycled?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Innovativethinker, Jun 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Totally agree with your comment regarding content of technology on the newer cars. I actually think this is going to be a major hurdle for modern cars to stay around. The parts won't be available and will not be easily made.

Now cromadors and Fuchs are just a style thing.... Plenty of modern equivalents that you are probably just not aware of. That's not a slam... The people who are on to the next big thing don't know what a Fuchs or a cromodoara is.... It's just like they seasons. They change.

Also... Don't forget there was a time when an old race car was just an old out dated race car.

Daytona coupes were almost pushed over board due to them being worthless old race cars and not worth paying import duties on

A 250 gto sat in a rosefield and was rescued (or however the story goes) by a high school shop class.

It takes time.

I am not a Tesla fan at all... But that Tesla roadster. The first one noth the one that was supposed to come out 3 years ago and never has... Will be collectible. It actually already is collectible.

There will be significant cars in the ev space. No marketing department is going to do nothing and say we are the same as everyone else... Just buy whatever.

There will be something. I just don't think we are aware of it

Innovativethinker likes this.
  2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sort of… I guess I’m old enough to remember obsessing over sports cars in my teens, 20s and onward. I don’t see the same passion in the twenty-somethings of 2021. There’s still excitement over expensive cars, but when I talk about restoration I may as well be discussing how to mend tube socks.

There seems not to be a philosophy of being s steward of a special machine, but rather a focus on the new. What’s the point in spending a lot of money on an old slow car?

Secondly, I don’t believe that a Daytona, 250 GTO, or even a 911 RS 2.7 is comparable in its manufacture to a Portofino or 992. A vintage Scaglietti body is a work of art, even if robots do it “better” now.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  3. AtSomePoint

AtSomePoint Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Bill
    EV's become collectible? Perhaps, there's a lot to be said about a fool and his money. Or perhaps P.T Barnum summed it up perfectly...

ScreaminRevs likes this.
  4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I'm working on a prototype 'dismantler' right now for EVs. It's actually quite intricate, it takes AI enhanced 'scans' of the EV, understands the make/model/battery(s) location, then essentially pulls it all apart, and separates it into different piles, we call the piles trash piles, and that's where the EV goes, right into the trash pile, and then, magically, it stays there, why? Because it's garbage.

Here's a photo of our Phase I/II/III receptacles.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ScreaminRevs and wax like this.
  5. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Cars that are collectible at any time in modern history were a poster on a kid's wall 30 years prior to when they became collectible. What kid has a poster (or the modern equivalent of a screen saver) of a Tesla or even a Porsche Taycan today? There's your answer.

Innovativethinker, JTSE30 and randkin like this.
  6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I largely agree with you but some folks will collect anything. That said if the car cannot be powered because no batteries available or parts unavailable the EV cars will not have a wide band of collectibility to the average “car guy”. How many folks collect old computers, old toasters, old washing machines, old electric shavers etc., I am sure there are some but……… There has to be some “cool” factor associated with old EVs and I just don’t see the current generation getting into EVs.

Innovativethinker likes this.
  7. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    People don't collect blenders. EVs are generally just appliances now.

There will be exceptions. This GM EV1 would probably go for a pretty penny as GM crushed most of them: https://www.thedrive.com/news/31345/theres-an-ultra-rare-1999-gm-ev1-abandoned-in-an-atlanta-parking-garage

Maybe some EV supercars will become collectable. Possibly the Tesla Roadsters as they were Elon's first car.

The problem is, there's nothing special about the technology. It's like collecting microwave ovens. There really isn't anything interesting about them.

Isobel and Innovativethinker like this.