Will Any Modern Street Artists Gain Significant Value Over Time? | FerrariChat

Will Any Modern Street Artists Gain Significant Value Over Time?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by F355 Fan 82, Mar 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    So Im a big fan of modern street art, I've never really invested in art work before but today I was just walking by an art gallery I pass all the time on the way home and I saw a piece and I just loved it and had to have it. It wasn't cheap, it was pretty pricey. I didn't buy it as an investment but Im curious to learn more about what makes some art go haywire and if this thing has potential. This piece is by Mr Brainwash and he's been one of my favorite artists for a while along with Alec Monopoly and Banksy, all modern street art guys.

Anyways here is the piece and its hand signed on the back with a serial number and in a week or so I will be getting 1/2 of a $1 bill from the artist and he keeps the other half authenticating the piece.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

AshAP likes this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Just like the Ferrari market, buy what you love, not what you hope will increase in value.
    No one can predict which artists work will appreciate. I believe street art will be collectible. The issue is ‘guessing’ which artists and which work will indeed be collectible.
    Buy what you love........

Texas Forever and anunakki like this.
  3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thats a cool piece. I collect original comic art from the 70s/80s. I buy what I like and if it gains value great, if not, no worries. Back in the 70s you would have never guessed that some of the art would be selling for hundreds of thousands to millions. Most of it was thrown away.

Point being, its almost impossible to know 'in the moment' whats going to gain value. Only time will tell, so buy what you like.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  4. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    In general I think not, mostly because of the majority lack of skill, most couldn't paint a photo realist paint if their lifes depended on it.

That said, a lot of them do have good skills and to me those will appreciate, as they have intrinsic value on beauty and skill.
    Another way is to measuresocial accounts and engagement. Remember that what is popular and expensive today will be again in 10-20 years, especially if we are talking about a demographic majority of 20 y/o.

5. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Whenever I have scrap metal large enough, I whip out quick and dirty felixes, I screw them high up on telephone poles of what ever city I’m. Im in a different city almost daily.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

SWB, carguyjohn350, JAM1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't mean to derail this thread, but I have always liked art that disintegrates over time. I have an old plaster statue of a little girl standing in her mother's shoes. Because I have left it outside, it is slowly melting away. I like it better than way. I dunno. It somehow speaks to me about how nothing lasts forever, everything changes. I guess I should mention I don't have a collector bone in my body. Even when I was a kid, I would buy baseball cards, chew the gum, and trade them away. We're all tenants in this life.

7. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    love it

8. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Buy what you like because you may have to keep it for a while. An artist's signature adds value.

As far as what will be popular in the future, who knows. The street art/pop art thing has been popular for some time now and will probably continue to be so into the (near) future. What will replace it and when? Hard to say.

-F