Why VW Should unload Bugatti (and they already got buyer...) | FerrariChat

Why VW Should unload Bugatti (and they already got buyer...)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bitzman, Oct 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Let's face it-- back in the late 1990s, when VW Group threw money around and bought several automakers, they didn't have any worries
    But that was then. Now they have the lingering Dieselgate--resulting from them cooking up a scheme to lie to machines testing their Diesel emissions.
    They have paid $20 billion in fines and it ain't over yet, so they are starting to
    look around what they can unload.
    Bugatti was the least useful company in their holdings. Only 82 cars were bought last year,
    And they have a buyer, Rimac, a Croatian company that makes electric motors. They already own part of it. It's not a start-up company, either, they've already proven themselves.
    True Rimac won't have $8 billion cash or whatever VW wants for Bugatti but if it will get VW into the electric vehicle business more solidly by them paying VW in Rimac stock. There couldn't be a better time to own a company making electric drivetrains as VW is two years behind Tesla like all the other automakers.
    And fortunately Rimac has no intention of mass producing cars. They are perfectly happy being suppliers of electrical components. So though it will be tough, they can re-market the Bugatti marque as an electric and have some more reasonably priced models.
    If you ask me, the big mistake VW made with Bugatti was not putting a four door sedan into production like one of the ones Giugiaro and son made in prototype form. They could have come in the market against Rolls and Bentley. (except one thorn in my suggestion is that VW Group also owns Bentley) I would say a safe bet would be a $200,000 electric Bugatti resurrecting the Giugiaro designs they already own. A car that will go 205 mph, have some autonomous features and body styles that have long since vanished like a sedanca deville and landaulette.
    I'd rather see Bugatti being sold out of VW's portfolio than Lamborghini because at least when VW Group owns Lambo they make sure each model will meet US standards. And once a Lambo shared a platform with Audis so they found an economical way to make Lambos.
    If the Bugatti sales goes through, an electric Bugatti of say, 2022 ,will be the fastest production sports car on earth and if speed is your measure it will bring some luster to electric cars.

So I look at it as a win-win all the way around.
    What say you?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK likes this.
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Agree that Bugatti should have come up with a 4dr and maybe a SUV also. But, they sell so few units, the development costs just can't be justified.
    Chiron's are like $3 mil, so they don't really compete with Bentley's.