Why there is no sound ? Door speakers | FerrariChat

Why there is no sound ? Door speakers

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 2281GT, Jul 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #1 2281GT, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The sound of the original Blaupunkt Memphis Radio in my 3.2 was always "a little bit flat" and snoring when turning louder. So I decided to remove the door panels to take a look to the door speakers ....

Under the panels: perfect
    The speakers: see pictures ...

A Wonder, that anything came out of them. But now ... where to get a pair of flat 16 cm / 6,3" (NOT 16,5 cm / 6,5") speakers ? There are no 16 cm speakers to get anymore, only 16,51 cm / 6,5" speakers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Markus, I too had this same situation. I had to get a metal plate from Home Depot and cut it as a template. I screwed my new smaller speakers on the the metal plate and then drill holes in the metal plate to align with the door.

Worked good and it was relatively easy.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  5. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thank You, John and Paul !
    I will keep you in touch.

6. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    That's called "surround rot"
    The foam that connects the basket to the cone has rotted away. Very typical for a car that lives in a hot and humid climate.
    This is why I sell my Center VEnt Wedge and Foam Rebuilding Kit. I guaranteed you that the foam that connects your Airbus to the center vent is also rotted away and most of you heat / AC is getting lost behind your dash.

7. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Great timing Ron! I bought my wedge from you last year and just put it on today. Huge difference. Thanks!

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    You can replace the foam surround, I did it with the odd 6x9 dual voice coil sub on my Jag, and a 12" passive sub that is now part of my garage stereo, cheap and easy.

If you want to keep the original speakers, they do say "Ferrari."

No matter what you put in there, it is never going to sound great, so why not keep it original?

Speakerworks.com has the kits.

If you decide not to do it, let me know, I would like to give it a try.
    Alden

9. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #9 2281GT, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You are right, Ron !
    Totally rotten around the center vent.
    So, WHERE and HOW to get your rebuilding kit ?

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks familiar, lol my speakers still kicking after 5 years since I did this project !

CHEERS

11. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Ron's kit transforms the A/C from blowing on your knees to being able to get some air on your chest and face, the new foam seal means more air coming out the vent and not leaking behind the dash.

My Wife will ride in the car with me more often now that she is cool and the A/C does very well, even in the 95 degree heat we have in my area of Florida this time of year.

Seal off the two underdash outlets too while you are in there.

Very little air comes out of the side vents, but the door outlets do defog the side windows pretty well, so don't block them off as is sometimes suggested.

This is a thread from my Jag forum about replacing the foam speaker surrounds, easy to do:
    Sub-woofer repair completed -a few tips - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I am serious about wanting your speaker cores if you don't want to repair them, BTW.
    Alden

13. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I get good cold air flow out from those under dash vents, I like them and use them for both cool and heat.
    I get absolutely no airflow from the round vents on either end of the dash. Too bad cause I think they look cool.

14. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #14 2281GT, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    I know, Alden, but I've found a repair service here in northern germany, so I want to keep them and use them again after rebuilding.

EDIT: @Ron PM sent

15. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    The underdash vents do have good air flow. But it is a choice whether you want more air to the center vent and some to the door vents when you leave the underdash vents "as is."

As far as I know, there is no way to close the under dash vents short of blocking them off.

Here in central FLA, I want as much air going to the center dash vent as possible, also, given our humidity, I want some defog capabilities to the door vents too. Air on my feet doesn't help cool the interior of the car since cold air is trying to fall down there anyway as soon as it exits any of the vents.

Since I have my underdash vents blocked off, I do get a tiny amount of air from the dash top vents, and, as I said, the door vents do the defog thing pretty well when needed.

I am thinking of adding some reflective insulation to the area in between the ribs on the top fabric, something like the material used in foldable windshield sunscreens. I think it might help keep the interior cooler. The black, uninsulated, top allows a lot of heat to radiate to the interior when the car is directly exposed to our "Sunshine" state's most prevalent commodity.
    Alden

16. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Alden,

I can close the vents under the dash on my car. They flip closed in a similar way to the dash ones.

17. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus