Why the brand clutter with U.S. automakers? | FerrariChat

Why the brand clutter with U.S. automakers?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by BoulderFCar, Jun 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    While the U.S. automakers struggle with profitability I'm surprised they don't act on some of the low hanging fruit like cleaning up their brands. Granted, GM did get rid of Oldsmobile but they still have Buick. Buick? What customer segment needs or wants a Buick that is of any tactical or strategic importance? Supporting the brand, starting with Tiger, has got to cost a fortune.

Maybe there are union or legacy issues I don't understand. I'd be interested to know what they are.

At any rate, it's a tough call between Buick and Mercury but I think one of them needs to be put down soon.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think these are the US brands for GM: Chevy, Caddy, Buick, Pontiac, Saturn, and Hummer (Saab as in the import). They own partial stakes in Subaru, Suzuki, etc, but I'm talking full ownership. I don't get why they need both Caddy and Buick. Also the Pontiac - Saturn deal.

I don't think Ford is as bad as that. A lot of their brands are imports (Land Rover, Jag, Volvo, and formerly AM). All they have as US brands are Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury unless I'm forgetting another company they own. I really don't know who buys a Mercury other than rental car companies. Lincoln doesn't seem to be that big of a seller and the Navigator doesn't seem as popular anymore (looks ugly compared to the last one).

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There are dealer franchising issues that make it hard to shut down an otherwise dead brand like Buick.

But I agree with your basic point. Their platform sharing is just ludicrous - if you can't tell that an Escalade is actually a Suburban...