Why SUVs?? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why SUVs??

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by parkerfe, Jan 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The Mustang wasn't there when I copied & pasted it.

The internet is a tough medium for sarcasm...

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Sorry Brother Bruce, I split this from this thread because I knew it would kill the original thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46503

3. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    No offense taken, mate :)
    I also know a bunch of people who think the trail stops right where I think it finally gets interesting ;)

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    tom, the involved people were friends of mine....i dont need to see the link ...i dont want to get into the gory details of what happened but the h2 did flip , but the wife was driving and not wearing her seat belt, the husband was a passenger and was wearing a seat belt...i personally have never driven an h2 and you are certainly intitled to like them...many people like them, my point was that suvs are not neccessarily as safe as people persieve....then again, sports car at high speeds are not so safe either but i drive them, so i have no problems with people driving what ever they want..after all, many people would consider all of nuts for being obsessed with sports cars!!!

5. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Reasons I like my SUV:

1) Better to put the family in than my Mini or F-car to go skiing
    2) Easier to fit 2 Labs and a Newfoundland into
    3) Much easier to fit my daughters girl scout troop
    4) Easier to put plants, soil and other Home Depot items in

The list goes on.....

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You guys really wanna see why SUV'S suck? All you gotta do is find a parking spot in a high traffic area in a shopping mall parking lot. Watch all the soccer moms with the SUV's try to race for the closest parking spot to the mall entrance..break out the stop watch..now time how long it takes her to park the damn thing, and watch how many people get frustrated waiting for her to finish her 3567 point turn. I'll bet you could boil and egg and then make a sandwich in the time it takes her to park the damn thing.

Next..Fly up Here to Canada just after a good snow storm (in the morning before rush hour). Get on the highway at rush hour and look at all the SUV's with snow piled a foot high on the roofs. The rear, hood and side windows are completely cover in ice and snow, and the only spot they can see out of the front windsheild is that fine little line the frozen wiper made. Ask them why they didn't clean off their car when they back into you at the doughnut shop.."oh it's much too big to clean all that snow off! Do you realize it would take me ..like an hour?

Pull into a drive through behined on of these tanks with a women behined the wheel. I garentee everytime you will wait an extra 10 minutes in line. Why? BECUASE SHE"S BEHINED THE WHEEL OF AN SUV thats why!! She will take her sweet time ordering her coffee double double..no no make that a earl gray tea..oh wait a sec..I would like a hot chocolate..oh wait what was the first thing I said?" Oh wait let me call my friend to see if she wants anything ok? I'l just be a sec. AAAARGGG I gotta go to work lady!!

As you can see I hate the f ucking things with a passion that you cannot fathom. I won't even service the things.

Oh by the way a Porsche Carrea 4 will go through the snow better then any SUV I have ever driven (well besides the H1). Ever driven a Benz 4Matic in the snow..incredable, how about a Subaru..amazing. Ever driven a 4 runner in the snow,,terriable can you say slip slide away? I see more Ford explores in the ditch then anything else, unless they didn't start that morning.

SUV's don't suck..the drivers do. They fail to see how useless they really are.

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    In that tirade of rage, at least you gave the H1 some props. :)

8. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Nice rant, Tom. :). 964 is like GLUE in snow and ice with proper tires, but then again, so are a lot of vehicles. Where an SuV is unequalled by cars is when the snow is DEEP and unplowed, which is quite often when you live on a mountain! I've been stranded many times in cars because the snow was simply too deep. I have yet to be stranded by my FAWD. My neighbor had both a 4Matic and an Explorer. His 4Matic gets a LOT of use, but when the going gets tough, the tough use Explorers (or x SuV).

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nope, I don't think that's the problem here at all. Frank's tone, snotty, sometimes abusive, sanctimonious and baiting, is what sets people off.

Tell folks you hate something, that it is anathema to you, and then in the same breath say, "But my wife drives one, even though I hate them and tried to talk her out of it" has a disingenuous ring.

Then to call all who drive them farmers, just plain rude.

Ok, we get it. He doesn't like anything that's not a V-12 Ferrari, but, he drives other stuff, doesn't he. He owns (oops, the wife does) a giant SUV, but they suck and he hates to have to drive it. Well, then hop in the passenger seat and let the wife drive. Does that offend your male ego?

And, how often does he use the "U" in his SUV? Is he offroading regularly in the wife's car?

C'mon, it's obvious. Frank is a mean spirited V-12 snob without the courage of his convictions. If you think SUV's are terrible, and should be taxed off the planet, then why is the worst offender SUV in the garage? Why not the Ford hybrid? At least it gets 25 miles to the gallon around town.

Oh, and he may hate the dress, but can't he afford to get one that fits, instead of wearing the one that doesn't?

10. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I hate 'em. Yeah, i know that some of you can justify the need for a big ol' truck rigged out as a fancy passenger conveyance, but the vast majority of vehicles i see, every morning, on my commute to Manhattan, are SUV's of the ARMADA, SEQUOIA, NAVigAtoR, Lexus, Monster Infinity variety, with one occupant- the driver- braving the hazards of the West SIde Highway.

I could care less what others do or believe, but they get in my way.

Here's the part I don't get, particularly because the vast majority of folks on this board actually know something about cars and handling:

How can you stand to drive these things- big, floaty, high center of gravity?

Oh, and i have a theory about why they are so popular: there are very few passenger sedans available from US manufacturers that even a hard-core midwestern patriot would drive; SUV's are relatively cheap, and because the 'Merican population is getting bigger and fatter every day, its nice to have something to haul our big fat asses in, without reminding us that we are as overweight as our vehicles.

Oh, almost forgot. Wax, the best set-up to the question you posed is in the Guido's Guide: it goes something like this. Wife turns to husband as they are getting dressed to go out to dinner and says: "Honey, does this dress make my ass look fat?" To which our man replies, unflinchingly, "No dear, your fat ass makes your ass look fat...".

11. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

MORNING BILL

ARE YOU BLOOD RELATIVES WITH FRANK PARKER??

BRUCE

12. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Here the **** is Frank the troll? Getting more Vagasil?

He started all this B.S. with this moronic boasting of superiority and his typical “do as I say don’t do as I do” attitude.

I bought another ****ING SUV. Big Deal. GET OVER IT.

We needed the passenger space, we needed the AWD, we needed to be able to tow 6000 lbs.

WHAT F-ING CAR WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THEN A SUV?

You are a worthless, pathetic troll.

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    speaking of woman drivers, i was hit by a navigator while riding my bike in my neighborhood....she was on her cell phone , not paying attention, went thru a stop sign and hit me and my bike....my face broke her windshield, my bike was a pretzel, and the poor woman was sure she had killed me, as did people close by....now i am not a handsome guy, but apparently the way i looked on the ground made death look good!!! lets see, broken hip, broken pelvis,broken collar bone, torn rotator cuff, broken ribs, torn cartilage in both knees,ruptured lung,broken nose and broken jaw....but because i was wearing my helmit i lived!!!i quess you all you by now that i made it..and 4 months later i could walk, although not so well...4 years later i lave pain everyday and i still have a slight limp that will never go away...but i cant really made at the suv, or suvs in general...it was just an accident...although it was several years before i could look at a navigator!!! thats one suv you will never see in myh garage!!!!

14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Dang Doc!

Hope you called Frank.

15. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Did you see Frank running behind the ambulance?

16. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    sorry to join this party too late, but:

i use my gigantic Ford Excursion to tow my Ferrari to track events, and to tow other race cars. i also use it to move things around. i figure i'm about even on karma because we also own a '69 Mini and a '59 Vespa 400, both of which get a zillion miles to the gallon.

threads like this make me want to leave the beast in the driveway, idling, when i'm not driving it.

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    lmao

18. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    #68 scott61, Jan 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!

20. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JUST FELL OFF MY CHAIR, SCOTT....

BRUCE

21. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Ford Recalls Nearly 800,000 Pickups, SUVs

2 hours, 25 minutes ago Business - AP

DEARBORN, Mich. - Ford Motor Co. is recalling nearly 800,000 pickups and sport utility vehicles because the cruise control switch could short circuit and cause a fire under the hood, the nation's second biggest automaker said Thursday.

Reuters
    Slideshow: Ford Motor Company

Ford Recalls Nearly 800,000 Pickups & SUVs

The recall affects approximately 792,000 Ford F-150 pickups, Ford Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators from the 2000 model year. Also affected are 2001 F-Series Supercrew trucks that were made at the same time.

Ford will notify owners of the recall in February, and dealers will deactivate the cruise control switch for free. Once the company has an adequate supply of replacement switches, it will send another letter notifying owners that they can get their switches replaced.

Ford said cruise control will be disabled once the switch is deactivated.

"We recognize this may be an inconvenience, but we believe this preventive action is in the best interest of our customers' safety," the company said.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites) opened an investigation into the defect in November after receiving 36 reports of fires. All of the incidents occurred when the vehicle was parked and the ignition was turned off. No injuries were reported.

Ford said it worked closely with NHTSA throughout the investigation.

Ford shares fell 11 cents to $13.24 in afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange (news - web sites). Its shares reached a 52-week low of $12.61 in October.

22. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    So a supplier provided a bad switch. How is this related to the anti-suv mutterings here? The Ferrari 328 has a recall for an A-arm that can SHEAR OFF UNDER HARD MANUEVERING! Should I post a thumbs down for that?

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I lack the patience to read this whole thread, but I bought my Yukon XL because:

-I have kids. When I bought it, they were both in car seats. I need ROOM.
    -I have a lake house where we spend most weekends in the summer. I need ROOM to carry all the stuff back and forth, including my 80 lb dog and his crate.
    -I have a boat I need to pull on it's trailer. I need SIZE and POWER.
    -My wife isn't the best driver in the world, she bumps into things. I want her and my kids SAFE.
    -I have a Ferrari that I pulled on a trailer to an FCA event. I need SIZE and POWER. And ROOM for the wife and kids and gear for 3 days.
    -My kids have friends that go places with us, 3 and 4 at a time. And I have a large dog that also likes to go. I need ROOM.
    -My kids play soccer. In the rain/mud/cold. I don't want their dirty little bodies in my cars. And they eat, all the time. I don't want their crumbs in my cars.
    -I refuse to drive a minivan, and it won't pull a trailer.

We can do some of the above in a smaller car, but not much. I take my kids to school every day in my Jag, and I have to move the drivers seat up so my 6 yr old will fit behind me with his backpack. No ROOM.

Do you get it yet Frank?

24. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    No, Frank does not get it. Very clear to what his problem is. He hates SUV's but could not stand up to his own wife and prevent her from getting one, So instead he comes here and bashes us. What a panty waist

25. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

:shurg: I detest SUVs, refuse to drive them outside of off roading deep snow conditions and hauling stuff but I'm in Santa Barbara, so only two of those apply, what is snow anyway? I hate them for no rational reason and I accept this. Meanwhile feel free to drive the horrible things while I feel free to hate them. Cheers.