Why SUVs?? | FerrariChat

Why SUVs??

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by parkerfe, Jan 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Why...are you a farmer or a construction worker? Otherwise why would you want what is basically an enclosed truck? SUVs are ugly, perform poorly, use way too much gas and are just plain ugly....That reminds me...did I mention that SUVs are ugly. What happened to four door sedans as the family car of choice? Even if you have a wife and 4 children, you can buy a large sedan with bench seats that will seat 6. I wish the government would impose a HIGH TAX on people that drive these monsters to hopefully get them off the road!

2. V-Viper

V-Viper Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    Brockton, MA
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Other Cars Owned:
    2000 BMW M5; 2004 Hummer H2

Nice one you have the king of all SUVs...

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Frank.

How about if they stuff a V-12 into it?

Do you ever have ANYTHING pleasant to say about anything other than v-12 Ferraris?

Not that I own a humongous SUV, but, why dump **** all over everyone else who does?

DM

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Sorry Range Rover. :cool:

I would think of the H1 before the H2 anyday.

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Agree. Which begs the question. Frank, when are you going to trade that Dinoesque H2 for an H1? ;)

6. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Why most folks buy an SUV

1. "Status"

2. Perception of added safety

3. High up seating giving a commanding view of road.
    3.(tie) Tax writeoffs are better for SUV's

4. 4wd

5. Room

Why certain people hate those who buy SUV's

1.They want gov't to interfere in lives of other as much as possible. Telling them what to drive is just another nail in freedoms coffin.

2. They DO use more fuel.

3. Pereception that SUV owners are worse drivers.

4. They feel less safe surrounded by larger vehicles when they drive a relatively small car.

5. Eat the rich.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Frank, I'm sure that you don't have this problem in your lovely hometown; but here in Space City, our freeways (sic) are a war zone. Pot holes, idiots on cell phones, big trucks driven by people who really don't give a damn anymore, construction work -- the list goes on and on. Driving a nice car in Houston is a waste. The better bet is to buy something called a Subdivision and go with the flow.

Dr "What me worry" Who

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Because unlike the H2 my wifes Turbo Cayenne flies and hunkers down on the highway up to 165mph. It also tows her horses, plows through the mud on at the Riding Club, and takes me, my kids and or friends to Vermont with our skiing/climbing gear. In these strange times it's also nice to have a vehicle that can make it from Paris to Dakar should the need arise.
    My wife's proud 2 own the SUV the AUtoRox kids chose as best SUV. When I borrow it to get down with the EC krew for dat's important. It's also powerful enough to take armor without bogging down and dAt could come in handy as well.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Jim, how goes it with the Pepper car? Have you hear of any problems? I have been thinking of buying a used one.

Dale

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Dale
    If I could only have one vehicle this is what I'd own. I like it so much I got my daughter a Toureg, which BTW did very well in the latest Paris to Dakar.
    (Her's is a 6cyl which is more than enough for a teenager)
    Best

11. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    HUH?? and you own a Hummer? Main reason I keep buying big SUV's is to piss off bonehead greenie whale lover tree hugging activist. And why do you need a gas pig Ferrari? Oh wait your a lawyer so you need it to chase down ambulances

12. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    1) I like the size (both externally and internally)
    2) I like having 4x4 in the snow zone in which I live
    3) I like being higher up and getting a better view of upcoming hazards. Yes, this sucks for the person in the sedan behind me, but I've been in that position and I made my decision to join 'em instead of fight 'em.

Larger issue Frank - we are all here because we love vehicles that can't be "justified" to anyone who isn't a car nut. Nor should we ever need to justify what we drive (or ask others to justify what they drive). Freedom to drive whatever you can afford is a beautiful thing.

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I like them for :

1) Trips to Home Depot
    2) Driving up high
    3) Comfortable

Sorry, I don't like the looks of sedans or pick up trucks.

In my life, I have owned a Cherokee, Discovery, Wrangler, Xterra, and have an H1 on the way. What can I say, I'm an SUV ho.

I like V8 Ferrari's also, so I am definitely a bad guy.

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My wife owns a Hummer , not me! I begged her not to get it. I even offered to buy her a nice S class plus a Maserati Spider if she wouldn't get the H2...but, she bought it anyway. She still gets mad at me when I refer to it as "that ugly truck" . The only time I drive it is when I'm taking her some where and she insist we go in the H2...after all, she is my wife and I do love her...I just hate the H2 and all other SUVs! But, someone loves sports cars and has a Ferrari should know better than to buy one for themselves!

15. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    To get away from everything.

If I must elaborate, here goes.
    4x4 and ground clearance allow me to go deep in the woods to set up the tent and unload the MTB in remote areas.
    I can tow my dirtbike just about anywhere.
    Tow 2 snowmobiles without a itch in winter conditions.
    I can ditch skis/snowboard in it with no hassle, and still have 5 passengers.
    Terrible road conditions here make SUVs more enjoyable to drive. I have seen more than once foot deep potholes!!!
    I also find rather enjoyable to take out the tow strap and pull cars out of the ditch. The big engine also calls for a huge battery, and that comes in handy when someone forgot their lights on.

Basically, an SUV can do it all. That's why we like 'em.

I love sports cars, but I need an SUV!

16. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    haha, I had an audi allroad and I do all of that with ease as well. You don't need an SUV, you want an SUV. I would guess 95% of people don't need SUV's they just like them.

17. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I should have insisted more on the off-road part.

So you're saying that an Audi Allroad will go where my buddies (and me!) get stuck with actual 4x4s and 35" Mud tires?
    I flew to Moab a year ago for vacation, and rented the only SUV I could find,a Trailblazer. It was FAR from enough. I beat the living crap out of it (not on purpose, just by driving the trails), and consier myself lucky they didn't check the under-carriage!!! LOL

Trust me, in my area, you will not go very far with an Audi Allroad, although I admit it will do 90%. I just happen to LOVE the extra 10% that allows me to get just that bit further from civilization, just the extra notch to be away from people. Last time, we had to go through a litlle stream ... couple feet deep, enough to hydro-lock the engine of a Ranger. The smaller trucks stayed there, we loaded the full-size trucks, and camped 15 miles up the trail. No one came to bother us. A blast. Will an AllRoad ford through 25" of water? ;)

Not a pic of me, but this the kind of trails we have.
    http://club4x4dunord.com/modules/My_eGallery/gallery/activities/stCalixte_avril/Cnv0207.jpg

And the trails I like (this particular pic is in Moab, and again not me).
    http://photos.imageevent.com/powerwagon/moab2004/websize/018_16.JPG

Does this put the "need" more in perspective? ;)

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    zoro, on that rare occassion you can always rent one. But, why suffer the embarrassment of being seen in an SUV on a paved road on a daily basis? When I see all those SUVs in my morning commute I always think to myself...those fools...they look like idiots! People drove in the snow and ice without SUVs for a long time before the 1970s when the US auto industry hood wicked the public into buying them to circumvent the new CAFE standards that they couldn't meet with cars but didn't have to meet with SUV/trucks.

19. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Rent one?
    #1, usually goes like this.
    -Phone rings friday at 8pm "Dude! we're all going camping for the weekend, load your crap and we're off!" "ok". Better yet. Driving around, see a trail disapperaing throug the woods ... drive into it and see where it leads. Usually interesting. :)
    -Rental SUVs are usually worthless POSs. Only SUVs I like are the older ones (old scholl truck SUVs) or some recent good off-road performers (RR, 4Runner, LandCruiser, Grand Cherokee ...). And I'd love to see their face when I bring it back on monday morning covered in mud, with scratches all over.
    -Mods. SUVs need modifications to perform decently off-road. Tires, lockers, seats, winch, skidplates ... etc. Not something you install on a rental car.

Actually, you can laugh at me if you see me on the road, and think I'm an idiot (even I know that!). That's ok. And that's why I like to go really far away where there isn't anyone on my free time. :)

20. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    parkerfe - Every time I see you post, I read it to see what the idiot is saying, lol.

Why don't u just ask your wife why she wants an SUV instead of bashing us here?

I like the looks of the trucks & the driving style. I absolutely do not need one. I just like them.

You could say the same of your f car. Of course you don't need it. You just want it.

Your elitist / condescending attitude and posts are in poor taste.

21. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    I know, people are so embarrassed when they drive SUVs. Thats why they are selling like crazy.

Just curious, why do you drive a Ferrari? They are just as bad in terms of gas, "status", and they can be just as dangerous if people don't know how to drive a car of such power (and there are many of them) and think they can take a sharp turn at 100 mphs.

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I like my Ferrari because it is fun to drive. My wife likes the H2 because it makes her feel safer in traffic. I think my reason for owning a Ferrari is good and her reason for owning an SUV is bad.

23. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    because of their tendancy to roll over, some suvs have significantly higher morbidity and mortality rates than many cars, this according to gov. stats......also,the tax right was changed this oct...it is now only up to 25k, not 100k...i dont mind people having suvs except in parking lots when i cant see around them....i personally hate driving them because they are heavy, often truck based, and not enjoyable to drive...i like to drive , so if i need room i would get a large sedan or stationwagon, with 4 wheel drive if needed...most stationwagons have as much or more cargo room as suvs, they just dont look as "cool" as suvs....if i need high ground clearance, i would get a pickup truck, which has far greater utility and is lighter....real, non car based suvs are great for 4 wheeling, which is blast and can be scary, but very few people use them for that....as for the snow,i have seen countless suvs flipped over in the colorado mtnas we drive by in our front wheel drive rental chevy or dodge sedan..but you like the looks and performance of the suvs, i have no problem with people who buy them...just not my cup of tea...

24. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    one of my friends , a world renowned 42 year old physician, and his wife both died last year when their h2 hummer hit the median strip in the snow last year and flipped....their kids both survived in child seats in the back seat..it was a one car accident, the car just lost control at 35 mph in 2 inches of snow....would they have survived in a honda civic? possibly....

25. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    1. Because my penis/ego is too small to breakdown and get a minivan, even though it would haul everything I want, cost less, would be cheaper to take care of, and get a lot better mileage.

2. I like having a false sense of security. I like being in a 'merkin made car with a very stiff ladder frame and no crumple zones. Ever seen the pics of crashes? These cars aren't deformed at all, so the occupants must have been fine. (Of course that would NEVER mean the energy of the crash was just transferred to the occupants. Who the heck was that guy Newton? Some apple farmer, right?)

3. I like exhibiting the stereotypical type-A male attitude toward others on the road; screw'em if they can't see, I GOT mine. What do you mean I have bigger blind spots all around? <crunch!>