Why sports bikes | FerrariChat

Why sports bikes

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by fish78, Oct 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Addmitedly, it might be a function of age, but I just don't see the appeal of sports bikes. They look nothing like my vision of a motorcycle and those garrish outfits the riders typically wear are just bizzare to me. To me, a motorcycly should look like a mid 60's vintage Harley DuoGlide. You wear jeans and if the state requires it a helmet, but you look fairly normal. At my age speed is not a big thrill...comfort is very important. So, tell me what the appeal is?

2. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    None to you ;)

3. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    #3 Choptop, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Because you cant do things like this on a cruiser or UJM. Different bikes are designed for different purposes. Dirt bikes suck at long distance riding. Cruisers make rotten off road bikes... on and on.

BTW.. if you are just wearing jeans and no helmet when you ride you are setting your self up for a world of hurt. You seem to be worried about what you look like riding the bike. Thats fashion. You should be worried about what you look like after you get into a wreck. Thats smart. Wearing a full face helmet and the proper riding gear is MUCH more comfortable and better looking than what you feel/look like after crashing with out them. Put me in your will to get the salvage rights for your bike once you crash and are no longer around ok? :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    #4 parkerfe, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    That's why there are so many different styles of bikes. I tried the Harley route 18 years ago...a 1991 HD Fatboy. It was OK...but it was antiquated...heavy, handled poorly, slow, vibrated and I grew tired of it quick. I have since went back to a dirt bike and a sports cruiser. And at 52 years old, I couldn't be happier that I am when riding in the woods on my KTM or in the mountains on my Hatabusa. FYI, I am intelligent enough to always wear a full coverage helmet, boots, eye protection and body armor whether I am in the dirt or on the street regardless of some government enacted law telling me to do so.

5. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Maybe, I am becoming a 1 percenter in my old age...:D

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #6 Devilsolsi, Oct 15, 2009
    It is all about your personal taste. It is like asking why someone would want a hot rod over a Ferrari, or vise versa. I am new to riding, and while I appreciate them, I can't actually picture myself on a Harley.

7. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Fish.....Why Ferrari's? They are expensive, noisy, require maintenance, don't like snow, etc. A Buick is cheaper and way more comfortable, costs less to maintain...after all the speed of getting there is not that big a thrill.

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    So what you're saying is you've killed someone and are involved in criminal activity? ;)

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I ride in jeans quite often, but would wear a helmet whether the state required it or not. Far too easy to be killed in even a simple crash without one.

But it probably is just a function of your age. You have been "imprinted" with what a bike is to look like. Probably lots of people like you that buy cruisers. I am not as old, although certainly over the median motorcyclist age now (37). I'm "imprinted" to the popular sporty bikes of the late 80's/early 90's. These are mostly sport bikes such as a Ducati 888 or Honda CBR900RR or UJM (the Universal Japanese Motorcycle) like a Yamaha FJ1200 or Kawasaki GPZ1100.

People assume that a sport bike is uncomfortable. Generally speaking they are reasonably comfortable for people of normal measurements. Riders get used to feeling in control by having their weight over the front end, a laid-back crusier just feels strange and has no front-end feel at all. Having your feet out on floorboards also adds to this feeling you are simply along for the ride, having the balls of your feet under you on pegs increases the feeling of control.

Bascially it is what you grew up on, IMO. Sporty bikes accelerate, brake, and handle far better than a cruiser. I would rather have that performance available (especially braking and turning), rather than have a bit more comfort but lose the feelings of control.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Sticks and stones may break my bones, but t.o.a.d.s. will really hurt me.

11. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Choptop: is that an FZR400 in the first pic? I just sold mine but still love the bikes.

12. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Wheelies :)

13. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    indeed it is.

GREAT bikes to learn racing on. ZERO power below a 11k rpm. Keep it spun up or go home. No need being ham fisted either, it aint going to get you anywhere. I should have kept it longer and raced it another year. Alas it was just painful for me to ride. I'm a tall guy, 6'7", and it was pretty cramped onboard.

It ran like a top, was a ball to go fast on.

14. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Well, I guess its just a matter of what floats yer boat...I like the look of the mid 60s Harleys...would rather putt-put around town than scream through the mountains...damn, not only am I old, I am boring too!!!

15. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Not yet :D

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #16 wax, Oct 15, 2009
  17. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    I bought my first new bike in 1968,a H-D 900 Sportster,before that i had a 175 Bridgestone,a Honda 305 Superhawk.After the Sporty,i had a Honda 750-4,BSA 650 Lightning,Kawasaki GPZ 750 Turbo,Ducati 900SS,Suzuki 750,Kawasaki 900 Z-1,H-D Sturgis (Dyna glide),Buell X-1 Lightning,and now a Softail Springer. I have to say, i loved them all as they were great bikes at that point in my life. Now,at mid 50's i like comfort and style and the Springer does it for me.At my age i could not imagine me trying to contort myself on to that 900ss,sure its a riding position for great cornering,but your arms and back pay the price.I love and appreciate all motorcycles,each have their own unique style and intended use,but for me in this stage of my life,i'll take my Hog! Ride Free.
    Bill

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Have you ridden a modern high performance bike? My 2008 Hayabusa is much more comfortable than my former HD Fatboy...

19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    I ride a sportbike and have found that roughly 50% of the riders I run into are just posers. I find it amusing they like to make fun of Harley riders for the same antics, i.e., no gear, hanging out at Starbucks, can't corner.

Yet they think the equipment you choose to ride seems to make all the difference.

I prefer sportbikes because I enjoy the sport. I like the track, and I love canyon runs etc. Life for me on a sportbike begins in corners, and you just can't get that feeling on a Harley.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

20. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    #20 Choptop, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
    if I want to enjoy the scenery I ride a bike that is comfy and I go slow - cruiser
    if I want to ride long distances in comfort - touring bike
    if I want to enjoy the twisty road and go a long way - sport touring
    it I want to enjoy the track and go FAST - sportbike
    if I want to ride across the scenery to a far off destination on fire roads - adventure touring bike
    if I want to rip around on the road and dive down a fire road every so often - dual sport
    if I want to go fast on dirt and roost my way between the double jumps and the woops - dirt bike

on and on...

a bike for just about every situation.

if I want to scare the ****e out of myself with awful brakes, hideous handling, sub-agricultural standards in performance and smoothness of engagement, fluid retention equal to a sieve... I ride my Vintage Harley :D

21. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
  22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Different people have different tastes. Personally, I prefer to have my legs under me as on a bicycle, rather than sticking out front. My brother let me ride his V-Rod a bit, and it's a very nice motor and a decent bike, but to me, the riding position was much less comfortable than on my Triumph Sprint. Yet the Triumph is a "sport tourer" and looks more like a sport bike. Go figure...

23. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #23 GrigioGuy, Oct 16, 2009
  24. Willybeen

Willybeen Karting

Aug 18, 2009
    Vero/Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    William
    lol at the motivational poster.

25. kelly

kelly Rookie

May 8, 2006
    Hell, Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Kelly F@#$in' Doke!!
    That motivational poster is hilarious!!!
    [​IMG]

I love my RSV! This is my primary mode of transportation, and believe it or not my answer to the "why sport bike" question is utility. I like the ethos of minimalist motoring, and this satisfies that condition. I am aware of the risk of daily riding, and learn to live with it. Being in Arizona and California, I could get away with riding all the time, but now that I am stationed in Mississippi, I need to get a car. Arrgh...