Why save for a FERRARI? HOW about this--- | FerrariChat

Why save for a FERRARI? HOW about this---

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Brigitte, Oct 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    Hit this site on Yahoo's Picks: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/news_events/exhibits/futuristics/auto/20.html

Shunji Yamanaka

Transportation and safety in Japan : the Hallucigenia project : incorporating robotics with vehicle technology.

The Hallucigenia Project aims to introduce robotics technologies to the automobile. Unlike automobiles, which have a single driving component, robots typically have driving components located in various parts. Robotic motors perform various tasks by working together. The fusion of automobile and robotic technology would conceivably produce a vehicle that is mobilized by a network of small wheel clusters. Each wheel module would have its own motor and sensors and would function autonomously and be controlled by a satellite computer through a local area network.

In: IATSS research vol. 28, no. 1 (2004)

call no.: HE277 .J32 I2 28:1

Brigitte

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I'm gonna have to hold off on buying one of those until they offer it with a "Hello Kitty" theme paint job. Until then I'm gonna keep saving for a Ferrari.

3. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    Understood ;)

4. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    There is also this one, hmmmm, (scratch your head and rub your chin) interesting 'no'?

Who has time to photoshop this one and turn it into an FCar? How about you Ryalex?

Oh and a hello kitty photoshop to the first one?

Brigitte ;)

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    thats very sexy, looks like a toaster on skateboard wheels LOL

6. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    that thing got a hemi?

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #7 writerguy, Oct 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Featuring a powerfull, yet quiet motor......

That's just what I was looking for.

9. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    MEOW...their not quiet. ;) giggle giggles

OBTW, I love the Hello Kitty paint job! You're Hired!

10. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

hey geete "bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrreerrrrrrrrrrrbbbbeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

:) :D ;)

11. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just checked to make sure, but this is an F-car already... Firebird III experimental turbine car http://www.conklinsystems.com/firebird/mo59fly.html

Mind the jetwash, tho.

Cheers
    Kevin

12. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    Sorry!
    NOPE! That's not quite it, but, I like your enthusiasm. ;)

13. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    I'm being a nerd tonight. I came back from seeing John Travolta in Ladder 49, it was definitely a movie for those who are wanting to see many different types of fires and to watch fire-fighting heros in action. This movie made me tear up too many times and I had no tissues. :( Basically it seems it was about a fire fighters life and as to the ending well I won't tell you but if you go please bring the Kleenex for the girls you'll need it.

Anyway, back to being a nerd, Check this out:

http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/

It's where I learned a little about the Air Car. Pretty neat, but probably many of you already know this stuff. Oh, better late than never. :)

Read it in English: http://www.theaircar.com/

Read it in a different language: http://www.motordeaire.com/

A few details about our vehicles´ technology

Compressed air tanks Brake energy recovery
    The body The air filter
    Chassis Electrics system

Compressed air tanks

One of the most frequently asked questions is about the safety of the compressed air storage tanks. These tanks hold 90 cubic metres of air compressed to 300 bars. Many people ask whether this system is dangerous in case of an accident and if there is a risk of explosion. The answer is NO. Why? Because these are the same tanks used to carry the liquid gas used by buses for public transport. The tanks enjoy the same technology developed to contain natural gas. They are designed and officially approved to carry an explosive product: methane gas.

In the case of a major accident, where the tanks are ruptured, they would not explode since they are not metal. Instead they would crack, as they are made of carbon fibre. An elongated crack would appear in the tank, without exploding, and the air would simply escape, producing a loud but harmless noise. Of course, since this technology is licenced to transport an inflammable and explosive gas (Natural gas), it is perfectly capable inoffensive and non-flammable air.

It is fitting, therefore, that MDI has reached an agreement with the European leader in aerospace technology Airbus Industries for the manufacture of the compressed air storage tanks. With a remote supervision arrangement, Airbus Industries oversees the making of the storage tanks at each MDI factory. The coiled carbon fibre technology used in the construction of the tanks is complex and requires a substantial quality control process which the multinational company, home of the Airbus aircraft, will provide for our vehicles.

Brake power recovery

The MDI vehicles will be equipped with a range of modern systems. For example, one mechanism stops the engine when the car is stationary (at traffic lights, junctions etc). Another interesting feature is the pneumatic system which recovers about 13% of the power used.

The body

The MDI car body is built with fibre and injected foam, as are most of the cars on the market today. This technology has two main advantages: cost and weight. Nowadays the use of sheet steel for car bodies is only because of cost - it is cheaper to serially produce sheet steel bodies than fibre ones. However, fibre is safer (it doesn´t cut like steel), is easier to repair (it is glued), doesn´t rust etc. MDI is currently looking into using hemp fibre to replace fibre-glass, and natural varnishes, to produce 100% non-contaminating bodywork.

The Air Filter

The MDI engine works with both air taken from the atmosphere and air pre-compressed in tanks. Air is compressed by the on-board compressor or at service stations equipped with a high-pressure compressor.

Before compression, the air must be filtered to get rid of any impurities that could damage the engine. Carbon filters are used to eliminate dirt, dust, humidity and other particles which, unfortunately, are found in the air in our cities.

This represents a true revolution in automobiles - it is the first time that a car has produced minus pollution, i.e. it elimates and reduces existing pollution rather than emitting dirt and harmful gases. The exhaust pipe on the MDI cars produces clean air, which is cold on exit (between -15º and 0º) and is harmless to human life. With this system the air that comes out of the car is cleaner than the air that went in.

The chassis

Based on its experience in aeronautics, MDI has put together highly-resistant, yet light, chasses, aluminium rods glued together. Using rods enables us to build a more shock-resistant chassis than regular chasses. Additionally, the rods are glued in the same way as aircraft, allowing quick assembly and a more secure join than with welding. This system helps to reduce manufacture time.

Electrical system

Guy Nègre, inventor of the MDI Air Car, acquired the patent for an interesting invention for installing electrics in a vehicle. Using a radio transmission system, each electrical component receives signals with a microcontroller. Thus only one cable is needed for the whole car. So, instead of wiring each component (headlights, dashboard lights, lights inside the car, etc), one cable connects all electrical parts in the car. The most obvious advantages are the ease of installation and repair and the removal of the approximately 22 kg of wires no longer necessary. Whats more, the entire system becomes an anti-theft alarm as soon as the key is removed from the car.

Legal and privacy information © 2002 Moteur Developpement International