Why no love for the Mondial? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Why no love for the Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Dizengoff, Dec 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    348, 355... ?

2. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Been thinking a lot about 348 and 355 too but don't know much about them as far as good and bad points. 4 seats not an issue as I have a 2nd car.
    Seen some prices of 355 almost same as 360 but would take some searching. Interesting thought though as a next upgrade for the future.

3. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    348?

I have always loved the Mondial....hope to add a 3.2 to the stable at some future point

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If I was to own only ONE Ferrari it wouldn't have been a Mondial. But I allready own a 308 and the four seat was a very nice option. I was also looking for a 355 but the maintnance cost made me decide for the Mondial. I like my Mondial.

5. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I like mine too. I bought it on purpose, not as a compromise.

I have other cars, so a 2 seater is not a deal breaker. And there are other nice F cars, 348 is one of my favorites. But I get 348 drivetrain, adjustable suspension, power steering (minimal assist), and front and rear trunk, extra wheelbase for a decent ride, and folding back seats for even more storage.

Certainly among the most practical V8 Ferraris, and in person much better looking than the pictures would indicate.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    checking in, I bought mine on purpose as well, ive always loved them and still do. I really dont like any other model, with the exception of the GT4 and perhaps the 360/430

7. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Same here, I bought it on purpose after having 9 Porsches and about 25 cars. Never more than 1 at a time though until now.

Loved the Mondial since I was at college and knew nothing of desirable or not Ferraris. Just so happens they are affordable which was a real bonus and I doubt they will be for very long as there's so few around now especially here in the UK being a right hand drive market.

For the first time since my very first car, a Lancia Beta coupe I have become so attached to it. It's a great feeling and really doesn't matter what its worth, it's how it makes you feel that counts! I smile every time I look at it and just love being in it and fixing things here and there and learning about it.

8. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Like your blue car.

9. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Neil,
    only 4 ever made in that particular blue called Sera that were registered in the UK.

Cheers.

10. Lambo Girl

Lambo Girl Rookie

Nov 13, 2011
  11. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    I like the black one above, the 360 wheels also suit it.

12. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I love your Mondial in black.

13. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Look at that - - your house loves your car so much, it wants to take a bite out of it.

No - please officers ........ don't arrest me !! Don't you see it ????? !!!!!

Oh well - - see you in court :):)

Cheers, Hank

14. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    Those wheels look great on you car!

15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1...as I said in another thread, those wheels really work with that car.

16. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    .... yeah, some yellow painted calipers would complete the fab look!

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You know I really like the latest Mondial-T bumpers on the coupe... REALLY cleans up the lines of the car. That and the convex wheels..

18. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Hi All

Recently saw an old Jeremy Clarkson program where he said that Ferrari has indeed made some mistakes: "The Testarosa was a dog and the Mondial looked like its dinner..."

But I have a 1988 3.2 Cab which I have driven regularly since 2001 and I think that it actually looks better with time. Someone asked whether it is an F40 once and others have asked whether it is the newest model that just came out?

As long as you don't have a complex of not being able to accelerate to 60mph in less that 3.5s you don't really need more.

I also have a 348TB which even the Ferrari president slags off. But, we could put the babies pram in the Mondial and both it and the 348 can be maintained by a keen hobby mechanic at a sensible price. Both will still give many years of enjoyment and possibly one day even become treasured by collectors. Most people seeing you in it won't really know it is not an Italia anyway...

Regards

Mark

19. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Oh, my, Old Chap, how very droll.:rolleyes:

Jeremy Clarkson's show can be informative, and he's sometimes even funny. But most often, he tries too hard. While I love the cars, and love seeing them driven as they're meant to be, Clarkson's I'm-Oh-So-Witty routine gets tiring fast.

So, a few points for a clever comment but zero points for accuracy. It's far from true that the Testarossa is a "dog," (I mean, seriously?!) and it isn't true about the Mondial, either.

Reminds me of the ill-advised thread recently started: The Ugliest Ferraris or something along those lines. Someone actually called the 308 ugly! So, I threw out a few model names, more or less at random. . . Of course, someone jumped on one of them almost immediately: "You think the 330 GTE is ugly? Really?"

Um, no.

Clarkson's entitled to his opinions like everyone else. But I have to wonder if that's what he honestly thinks, or just couldn't resist a fairly good and veddy British bit of snark.

20. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Well said mjbcswitzerland. I like the Mondial and others of this era for the same reasons,
    Oh and because a set of brakes don't cost $15,000! That's insane!! Where's the fun in that, even if you are loaded that's a lot of cash....it's a bloody nice diamond ring for a start.
    'Darling I was going to buy you a $15,000 diamond but instead I put some new pads and discs on the Ferrari'...............

On the subject of 'Berkson' sorry I mean Clarkson, he once told me that Lotus weren't real cars because they weren't made of metal! Yes true, he said that to me....well I kept my cool and calmly asked him what he thought about the 308gtb fiberglass, the 288gto, the F40, or the Mclaren F1 all of which were plastic road cars. I then explained that we were once in the stone age, then the Iron age and now we are in the space age when things are made of plastics not stone nor rusty old iron. For once ol' motormouth went quiet and walked away with his drink in hand.
    That I might add was back in 1995, he's changed his tune a bit since then. ha ha.

21. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Hi

Here's the Clarkson video by the way:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8YZzGaprtA]BBC: I Have to Have a Ferrari - Clarkson's Car Years - YouTube[/ame]

Regards

Mark

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  23. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Saw my first Mondial in person this weekend. Gorgeous.

24. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Whose? Mike's? Bill's?

I totally agree. I think the Mondial is gorgeous in its simplicity and stance, classic rear tail lamps, flowing leather, side rakes, and smooth lines. It really works for me.

25. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    +1