Why No Love for the 370 NISMO? | FerrariChat

Why No Love for the 370 NISMO?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Texas Forever, Sep 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I just priced it on the website. $45,000, 3,300 pounds, 350 HP, what's there not to like? Granted weight distribution is 55/45, which is not perfect. I have heard they overheat, which is not good in Tejas.

A new Boxster S is $30k more, with 350 hp and 3.000 pounds. So whut's the deal, huh?

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I think styling, mostly. While the 370Z was never much of a head-turner, the design is now eight years old. And Nismo body panels that mimic the look of the GT-R (an even more dated design) fail to make the car any more visually appealing.

That said, I've driven them and there's nothing wrong with the car's performance. The sound has always been disappointing, but I hear they've made recent efforts to improve this.

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I drove one at limerock when it first came out and did not like it at all. Dont remember details since several yrs ago but overall it felt very numb and much less than sum of its parts And nismo had to put aftermarket brakes on it because the factory ones would fail after few laps. Cayman, vette are another class all together.

4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Personally, I've always liked the 370Z. I have a love/hate type thing for the Nismo. Sometimes I see it and I love it, other times I think it's too Japanese. Also, the price isn't great for today's market. I've used this example before; I bought a nearly fully loaded 2015 Mustang GT for $35k and it pretty well out performs the Z. They're two different cars, clearly, but the performance per dollar factor has faded fast from the Z.

Mark

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well my Blendtec blender sounds better, the V6 sounds like there is something loose in it and (hopefully they have fixed this) the gearshift knob vibrates so much it could be a good watch winder.

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think the NISMO is hideous.

My friend had a 370 with the sport and touring packages that I drove a couple of times. I loved it. Felt very willing to rev and play.

I prefer the look of the earlier 370 before they put the LEDs on the side of the bumper.

7. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    All those Nissan V6 cars have exhausts that sound like coffee grinders. Unpleasant.

8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    They are cool cars, but priced in its own segment between slower and faster cars.

In stock form, they often catch me off guard as older V8 Ferrari's. There is just the perfect pitch at a certain RPM and it always gets me. i.e.
    "sound"
    me: "ferrari??" and turns around
    nissan/infiniti drives by
    me: "god dammit"

9. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Ugly, and they love to overheat. Both coolant and oil temps

10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    + 1,000,000,000

11. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

The VQ engine in the 370Z is rough and harsh, in an agricultural way. It's one of those cars where the numbers add up but the actual experience does not.

12. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Sadly I agree with this post. The dealer called me when he was allocated a car. I had no interest.

Japanese make great cars like the Honda plus others. They are not into performance cars plus a weird in exterior design to a lot of people.

If you find people who disagree ask them about the early GTRS :)

Personally I would avoid it.

Best

Lee

13. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I really wish the Japanese had the cars like they did in the 1990s. So many performance cars it's crazy. Glad we finally hit the 25 year mark and they are getting imported more and more.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I love the sound, but I'm biased since I drive a 350Z. Someone once told me it sounded like a popcorn maker and I asked them what kind so I could buy it. LOL!

The looks of the 370Z never grew on me, but it is a lot more refined with more creature comforts than mine for sure. I have a base model (6-speed only), which weighs in at 3,188 lbs. No LSD, no traction control, no vehicle dynamic control, no cruise control, no vanity mirrors, etc. Very spartan the way I wanted it. It's been incredibly reliable since new...going on 13.5 years now.

15. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I think styling wise the new Nismo 370Z looks good. I like the updated interior and the exterior has a cleaner look. My first sports cars were a 2003 350z and 2006 350z. Great cars and never had any issues.