Why no Asian car section? | FerrariChat

Why no Asian car section?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by parkerfe, Nov 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    #1 parkerfe, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
    I suspect there are more people on FChat with cars manufactured by a Asian car companies than any other single country... other than Ferrari of course...and with all the none Ferrari owners on FChat, there may be more Asian car owners than Ferrari owners.

2. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Because people only a) talked about/whined about the GTR and b) opined as to what else theoretically fell into the "import" category when it was up.

3. prudence

prudence Karting

May 15, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    #3 prudence, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    In addition to Rob's head start of @150 threads, I moved @500 threads into "Imports" - for roughly 650.

All figures estimated:

Cumulative total of GTR, Supra and NSX threads? 100.
    5 threads are Carbon wondering about his Sentra.
    5 are PeterS wondering about his 4Runner.
    5 are PeterS being teased mercilessly about his Solara.
    10 bemoan Import percentages vs. Domestic.
    10 featured Vintage Japanese cars.
    10 feature Japanese cars with gigantic spoilers.
    50 start out wondering about Prius/Smart Cars of Asian descent.
    50 mock the same, start to finish.
    60 are about Evos and 'rus.
    75 are about Soccer Moms.
    100 mock "ricers" through and through, fart cans and all.
    120 are titled along the lines of "hey I got an Infiniti/Lexus"

In short, we gave it an honest effort, but, it was General Discussion.

6. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    #6 Pantera, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
    Then why the F--k is there a section just for Porsche if people complained about the import section chatting all about the GTR?.

If the Import section was droped then the Porsche section should be droped to!.

This is a double standard if anyone begs to differ dammit!.

7. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I think there should be a forum for these:

Italian.
    German.
    British.
    American.
    Japanese.

You've covered 98% of the cars discussed with those. It's a pretty glaring hole to not have a section for Japanese cars though: GT-R, NSX, Supra, 300ZX, 350Z, RX-7. Those are all fine cars.

8. 288gt-uh-oh

288gt-uh-oh Karting

Dec 30, 2006
    Quite simple, common European countries are easy for the average person to relate emotionally; Italian passion, German precision, British handling, American brute. Then the Japanese have reliability and efficiency, hardly descriptions that emote, but do sell. On the other hand, Japanese cars aren't advertised with as much passion as they are in Japan. Go watch Japanese car commercials on youtube and compare them with American commercials for Japanese cars. Japanese commercials are "full of emotion" whereas American Japanese commercials emphasize reliability and efficiency. Does that mean Japanese drivers see their cars in a different way than other countries perceive the same cars? Possibly.

Being that this board is about Ferraris -- "passionate" vehicles -- and Japanese cars are "impassionate", it's no mystery why Japanese products are commonly perceived by certain parts of the population as inferior. Advertising campaigns for Japanese cars should emphasize the samurai spirit of past Japanese history, one that Ayrton Senna related. Reckless kamikaze (not in the Pearl Harbor sense), Samurai bloodletting, stomping Godzilla...etcc...all passionate, if not psychotic. Something that appeals to Generation crazy and those with yellow fever and mail-order bride obsession. Something to feel manly about.

9. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #9 agup48, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    hey, THAT'S RACIST, you got a african american kid saying it, not right...heres the one your looking for:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I've been cycling out of vintage Italian stuff and into vintage Japanese cars for over a year now, and I've found that the owners of vintage Japanese cars are just as passionate about their hobby as everyone else. In California, there seems to be a new Japanese-only show popping up every year or so. I will be the first to admit that it's a bit of an adjustment to suddenly have a reliable and easy to maintain car which requires no work, because I do like to fiddle with things. But now that I'm used to it, I can actually enjoy driving more. I've also noticed that I get more "Thumbs Up" per journey driving vintage J-tin then I ever got driving a vintage Ferrari.

People also appear to have forgotten that Datsun pretty much cleaned up in SCCA competition in the 70s.

11. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    what Asian supercars are there? Arguably the NSX and Skyline, but that's it. Neither one is a supercar in my opinion, and I doubt many others would think so. Exotic, sure, cars I would love to own, sure. 300ZX, 350Z, Rx7, Supra, once again, nice cars but not even falling into the exotic category. Two semi-exotic cars don't deserve their own forum. This coming from a 50% Asian

12. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    We have Japanese cars in the family and i love their efficiency and dependability, but honestly, they bore the heck out of me.

Why isnt there such a passionate love affair with JDM..........just look at them, can anything look and sound as good as an Aston DBS, Maser Granturismo S, LP640 etc......

Its tough to loathe a GTR, but one can spend hours admiring the Granturismo.

13. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I've owned my Acura Integra LS since new, in the past 13 years & 184,000+ miles it's been a great car. Unfortunitally I'll be parting with it soon to move on to something else. I do agree though we could use an Asian automotive section.

14. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    How much will you ask for it?

15. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Oh but like a Lotus Elise is and a Porsche these days are true supercars?

Lookie at whats going on these days the Supra holds a record that could very well rival the Mclaren F1, The GTR V-spec is coming and the 370Z I mean seriously what is there not to talk about in the world of imports?

Like I said if the Import section gets droped then so should the porsche section because in my opinion the only thing that Porsche has to offer thats worth a damn talking about it the Carrera GT and thats it. How the hell does it get it own forum??!.

As someone who normally favors exotics and american muscle I think its fair that imports should be talked about on any forum if there is to be a section for all countrys just like everything else if not then do have anything else from other countrys to chat about besides Italian.

16. 288gt-uh-oh

288gt-uh-oh Karting

Dec 30, 2006
    Yes, but there should be a better title. Like "Beasts from the East"..."Import" or "Asian" is just too derogatory...like "French Cars" or "Cars from the Frogs"

17. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    In addition to Rob's head start of @150 threads, I moved @500 threads into "Imports" - for roughly 650.

All figures estimated:

Cumulative total of GTR, Supra and NSX threads? 100.
    5 threads are Carbon wondering about his Sentra.
    5 are PeterS wondering about his 4Runner.
    5 are PeterS being teased mercilessly about his Solara.
    10 bemoan Import percentages vs. Domestic.
    10 featured Vintage Japanese cars.
    10 feature Japanese cars with gigantic spoilers.
    50 start out wondering about Prius/Smart Cars of Asian descent.
    50 mock the same, start to finish.
    60 are about Evos and 'rus.
    75 are about Soccer Moms.
    100 mock "ricers" through and through, fart cans and all.
    120 are titled along the lines of "hey I got an Infiniti/Lexus"

In short, we gave it an honest effort, but, it was General Discussion.

18. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    If thats the complant I want the mods to yank all the 911 threads from the porsche section and see how many are there :D.

19. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Japanese cars are "dispassionate"???? Not sure about that one - my 240Z has as much soul as my E-Type, and it turns many heads.

However, I will agree with what one poster said - THIS IS A FERRARI BOARD! If you want to talk about Integras - there's a board dedicated to that. NSX? SAME! Hell, for the Z car, I know of at least 4 different boards!

I come here to discuss Ferraris first and foremost. I do like the General area as it's nice to talk other things with the Ferrari crowd, but when we get topics about carbon fiber Sentras - I'm out.

20. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    As a paying member here, and longtime Japanese car enthusiast, I was very happy to see the 'Import' section arrive... and even more dismayed to see it depart.

It's absence, given the ongoing presence of the other options, seems at best unwarranted, and at worst elitist.

If you don't want to read about them, don't click the link.

See how easy that was?

Tad

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Then why do we have a Lambo, Maserati, Porsche, British, American Muscle and Other Italian sections? I suspect that more on this board have Asian marque cars in their household than any of those...

22. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Of the 4 cars I own, 3 are Japanese, as is the classic motorcycle I have.

However, I don't think you could compare Lambo, Maser, Porsche, et al with Civics, Integras, WRX, etc. NSX, GT-R, classic Japanese - yes - but the mainstream vehicles, IMHO, are better suited to other boards.

As a relative newcomer here, I can only tell you what I am interested in. It's primarily discussion on F-Cars, and the peripheral luxury industries that surround them. That includes exotic and classic cars, as well as lifestyle subjects like dining, spirits, and travel. If there's room for discussion on Japanese classics or exotics, I'm all for it.

Since I don't moderate the board, nor am I a paying member, I have little say in what goes on. I am, however, entitled to my own opinion, and I prefer discussion aligned with why I come here.

23. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Demographics + bragging rights - interest.

Initially, there was great resistance against anything but Porsche.

The greatest howls of protest were in regards to "Import" section, which proved to be utilitarian and least populated, by far, even though it was a strrrrrrretttttccchhh [you have no idea what a pain in the ass that was to find relevance within hundreds of threads] to transfer many of the threads to Imports rather than General Discussion. with the bulk of threads being... well, boring.

Few Japanese cars have shown themselves to be collectible.

I saw a Datsun 1600 scooting around town, last 2 days running. Wonderful stance - Had a peak inside - interior was well kept and purposeful, oh, my, though paint was like an old tractor and I doubt that aside from tires, any rubber had ever been replaced. Two days ago I told the [for whatever reason] sad and forlorn looking owner it's too bad they didn't keep making 'em that way. He looked stunned. Yesterday, he had an ear-to-ear smile on his face. Nevertheless, maybe 10 threads on FerrariChat indicate anybody gives a rat's ass about this type of vintage Japanese car.

Though like Japanese cars, they take a licking and keep on ticking, there aren't any Timex subforums on high-end watch boards. They're both tools, but nothing to write home about.

Here's the simple recipe for what it takes to have a successful subforum on F-Chat

Attain}
    Maintain} Interest
    Sustain}

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I agree 100%...Civics, Intergras, WRXs, NSXs and GT-Rs are much better cars than Lambos, Porsches, et al...especially when you consider their performance value factor.

25. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Right, sort of my point stated in a much more succinct manner!