Why List A 400 On Ebay | FerrariChat

Why List A 400 On Ebay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by billg, Apr 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    For the first time in quite a while, I braved the Ebaymotors listings, hoping there would be no 400s listed. I got through 5 pages and was all ready to observe here that people may be getting the idea that putting them on this site ensures their values remain depressed, that they have no mystique, then sure enough I see somebody has posted a really nice-sounding black one at a reserve of 22K. 3 days to go, it's at 14K, slogging along.
    As an aside, the cars don't photograph well, either.

2. relostrat1

relostrat1 Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Tim Haines
    I think people do this as a last resort. Of course a 400 can be a tough sell. If you have had it in Hemmings, local papers and other places...I guess you just figure it is worth a try to move it. Unless something is super rare however, I NEVER see it getting top dollar on ebay (and I have over 550 feedbacks by now I think). But, in many cases, at least it sells. I sold my 1982 Mondial there years back and my 1974 Pantera. Both were last resort bottom dollar sales just to move them though. The Pantera sold to a guy in Sweeden that flew here to do a final inspection and send it back.

3. mgv1

mgv1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Mark V
    That black 400 on ebay has been relisted about five times now. Previous high bidders have topped out at about 18K. I actually like the car and would re-do the interior and use it during the week but I don't know how the car is mechanically.

4. Cigarpoor

Cigarpoor Karting

Jun 9, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Earlier this year I listed my 1985 308 QV on ebay after a couple disappointing weeks on Ferrariads.com. The car was an exellent example with a recent top end rebuild and a complete suspension redo. The potential buyers from this site tire-kicked the hell out of this car for days. After dozens of phone calls, emails, and coordinating two PPI's (both almost flawless) potential buyers still tried to lowball or deal on my "firm" asking price.

So against the advice of many, I listed the car in ebay. Within three days, I had several serious buyers and about 1000 hits on the ad. On the final day of the auction, it was literally a race for three buyers to get to my house to close the deal for my Fchat ad asking price of 43,500, arguably top dollar for a 48K mile 308. In seven days time, my car found a happy buyer, who paid my asking price, without any headaches or nonsense. Hell, I even agreed to take a refundable deposit from the other buyer should the original deal go sideways.

My point is that despite the horrible reputation that ebay has around here, it exposes your car to a much wider pool of Ferrari buyers than Ferrariads, Hemmings, Auto trader, or the like. It's that simple.

OK, with that said, what does anyone know about that car on ebay??? The last of VIN is 52535... this car was listed on ebay about three months ago, as well. At that time, the owner did not respond to my requests for a viewing so I just blew it off. I might be interested if I could have my mechanic check it out thoroughly.

Andy

5. mgv1

mgv1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Mark V
    Bobileff also has a clean looking car for around 22K on their website.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    been for sale since last summer

7. relostrat1

relostrat1 Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Tim Haines
    ebay can be a strange deal. For a living my wife is a dealer of original/authentic Tiffany lamps and glass. Before ebay came about, some things seemed really rare. A red glass tiffany vase for instance. YOu hardly saw them at Christies, Sothebys, etc. Them comes ebay......now one of some nature listed most every week. It has killed the value of this pieces compared to what they used to be (used to be $2,500 - $25,000 items depending). But, ebay has spread her customer base to Europe and Asia. Also, it has raised the value of common pieces. As these can be entry level pieces of only a few hundred dollars that most can afford. SO for a while people were beating each other up over a piece that she could not get $500 for in her normal market....in turn selling for $800 there.

I think it had the same adverse effect on cars. It used to be in my area (Cincinnati), it would be rare to see an exotic car listed in the local paper. Because someone locally looking did not have many resources if they wanted one, the seller could ask for top dollar. These days if I want a Ferrari, I go to ebay and on a given day likely not only potentially come up with the exact model I want, but I would guess 150+ available in general. SO it is bound to kill the value on less rare of less desirable items and make them more of a commodity.

But the flip side it, for a good clean un-aborted example....it opens you item up to hundreds of more potential buyers.

Ebay is a reality. And unfortunitly in most cases has become Americas price-guide.

8. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    i bought mine off ebay...and cant believe what i got!!! turnes out that someone offered him 4k more after closing..going to bring her to the pasadena concourse on may 18th..thats going to be a great event..ill try and take some pics!

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    i pruchased three ferrari in one week last march. now i will tell you why i think they were on the site. all had problems. car 1 needed tune up 5G. car2 not described correctly, could not get title from seller. not economical to fix(400i). car 3(365gt4) has bib crack in motor block, and etc.---. oh almost forgot car 4, sent $$. seller used same for whatever and did not ship car. FBI got him for internet fraud. con 1, me 0

10. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Tim is right on. Buyers and sellers now have more competion which can be both good and bad. Rarity is now based on a much broader market.

11. Cigarpoor

Cigarpoor Karting

Jun 9, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I can assure you that there are Ferraris with these same issues listed in newspaper classified ads or for sale on used car lots. Everyone needs to exercise some level of judgement during any car purchase, ebay or not. I bet that even the most fundemental inspection would have revealed the issues in the cars you described. According to your profile, it looks like you got a couple of those "not economical to fix 400i's" after all. How do you like them????

How about that black automatic 400i listed now... vin 52535??? Does anyone know anything about it? Any information would be appreciated.

Andy

12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    of course any careful approach would have avoided the crook that kept my $$. the guy that would not send title was a little different. i may or may not have avoided him. the cracked block could not be seen unless motor was pulled, that was a big surprise. i think that my $$ came too easy, they left the same way, quick. 4001 is an easy car to drive. the feel is not of a performance car, but a heavy cruiser for long distance. sound is great! wonderful traffic stopper. i wanted a 400i and 365gt4, now i have them. what ever the cost at 70 i am having fun, don't want to waste too much time so i am not looking to hard at hindsite. headed to derby tomorrow, and ky speedway friday to do some laps with 550

13. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    What success or failure have people had either buying or selling cars in the FCA Newsletter? That seems a dignified and FREE way to sell or buy a Ferrari. An obvious limitation is that virtually only Ferrari owners get the Newsletter, so the audience is small.
    Ken

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Andy, that car has been for sale for a bit now. We talked about it before, try a search you'll probably find it. In August of last year it was for sale and it was setup for hand controls, handicapped driver. Since then it has been for sale by 4 different dealers. I don't know if was still the same owner or if it has been bought and sold 4 times since August. I do know the speedo has been changed.

15. Cigarpoor

Cigarpoor Karting

Jun 9, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks Dave.

I am going to give it one more try to get a hold of the owner for a personal inspection and maybe a PPI if it looks like its worth it.

Maybe my 308 will have another Ferrari stablemate????

Andy

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you want a black one why don't you buy the Black/black Series 1 5-speed car thats for sale in Houston? 5-speeds bring a bunch more dough but until you've driven one you don't realize they are a completly different car compared to an auto.