Why leave Used Car adverts on your car? | FerrariChat

Why leave Used Car adverts on your car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by UroTrash, Sep 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #1 UroTrash, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I admit, I'm a pretty cheap guy.

I like to buy used cars.

But it wouldn't actually hurt my feelings if people THOUGHT they were bought new.

So I see this all the time; someone tooling around in a nice looking clean car with a used car sticker and plate surround advertising a used car lot.

This car had both, i didn't get a click of the plate.

Why do they do that?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    For the same reason they got a used car from Carmax.

They don't know better.

3. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    We have a very successful used car dealer in the next town, and every car he sells has HUGE stickers on both sides of the car - from the front wheels to the rear wheels, half the height of the doors. Even if it were his company cars, the size would be inappropriate, but I see dozens of them driving around, and the owners obviously don't care about the billboards on their cars...

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The first thing I do when I buy a car is remove the stickers and tag frames they put on. Shortly there after, the manufacturer badges are removed as well..

5. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Well possibly they either don't mind people knowing it's a used car (I wouldn't), or the sticker's so small they don't pay much attention to it, or they're happy to give their salesman a little free advertising in return for the good deal he got them.

6. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Because people don't care? They want something nice and reliable for good money and their reasoning doesn't go farer than that? Plate surround... there's already one so why changing, they don't change it for the sake of it. The sticker, well they would take it off when it will start to peel off... I believe that people that care about details or the type of perceptions others might have on their car remove them immediately.

7. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just for fun I used the fact that I drive 50k miles a year to negotiate $500 more off the price of the car as an "advertising" rebate. Once we settled on a price, I asked him if it had a dealer sticker on it. He said yes and I said if you want me to advertise for your business you need to take another $500 off. The sales manager said he would do it because no one had ever asked for that before. Alot of people see my car driving 50k per year.

8. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Negotiate it more, and then take it off once you leave the lot.

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #9 El Wayne, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    This is something you'd never see in SoCal. Funny thing is that I see out-of-state cars with dealer's badges on them (not just stickers) and I wonder to myself why anyone would buy a car like that without demanding that the dealer remove the badge. Then I'm reminded that not everyone is as vain as we are here in SoCal, especially when it comes to our cars.

If a SoCal dealer tried putting a badge or sticker like that on the cars in his inventory, he'd either be removing every one of them prior to delivery or he just wouldn't sell cars. Dealerships are a dime a dozen out here and everyone would just go to his competitor up the street. That said, a large number of people leave the dealer's plate frames on, so go figure.

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Every dealer I have ever worked at charges the NCD or UCD about $25 for the cheapo plastic plate frame.........that I always ask my client at the time of delivery, if they want me to leave it on, or take it off.

We throw them in the garbage about 90% of the time........no point in giving them back to the parts department so they can rip us off again for free.

Remember back in the day (the 60's and 70's) how dealers used to use those metal advertising tags, as opposed to the 3M tape we have today, that they would have to drill holes in your trunklid to mount ? And you got rust around the edges of the holes the next year ? GAWD I miss those.......

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Even after people put on their NV plates, I think they think it's a status symbol to have "Mercedes-Benz of Beverly Hills" frame surround, BMW N. Hollywood or one of the RUSNAK ones.