Why isn't Alonso slammed the was MS was for the qualifing mishap? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why isn't Alonso slammed the was MS was for the qualifing mishap?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 62 250 GTO, Aug 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    I'm not referring to Kubica; I'm referring to the alleged blocking of Massa during qualifying where Massa wasn't even within 100 meters of Fernando and Fernando was penalized for interfering with Massa's qualifying attempt. That was total BS and a shot at gifting MS the win. Plain and simple.

2. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +2

Excellent post, GoFerrari28.

3. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    If course not, why would he complain? His teammates were contractually obligated to support him.

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    So Senna3xWC...i see that your subscribed now. cool avatar :)

5. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC

Thanks, Brian.

Does that mean I can bust your balls about not subscribing now? :p

6. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    My memory isn't perfect so forgive me if I'm incorrect on this but I think there was a precedent for the Monza penalty earlier in the year. Probably at the European GP, JV "held up" Fisi in Q2 in the exact same way as Alonso did to Massa. He appeared to be far enough ahead of Fisi but the stewards came down on him anyway because he was on his out lap while Fisi was on a flyer. I thinkt the penalty was also the same. Maybe someone here recalls that or can find it somewhere?

I'm not saying Alonso's penalty was right or wrong, just that since it was consistent with previous rulings, it would indicate that maybe there was no conspiracy as Alonso claimed.

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I agree with everything you've said. Great post!!!

8. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    You're correct. The stewards were a little too aggressive in '06, imo, handing out penalties like traffic cops. Going back to whichever race had the Alonso/Kubica issue, I thought the penalty against Schumacher was stupid, as it was obvious that Alonso (intelligently, mind you) caught him off-guard and slammed on the brakes to force him to pass under a yellow. Discretion should have led to no penalty against Schumacher, but the stewards once again were consistent in handing down their (questionable) penalties.

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    So MS was in trouble because a 1 in a million chance could have happened? That chance could have happened in the pits a few weeks a go just as easily.

So because the cars are powerful and have potential for going fast, means in the slowest corner, there's still danger for the cars to shoot to 200 mph?

And Senna didn't die because of his steering column. He died because of under inflated tires and driving into a dip before his tires warmed up, the same dip everyone including himself was avoiding all race long.

Yeah stuff happens, so why is it OK to roadblock someone where there are a hundred people walking around? You claim that anything could happen on the track and nothing at all dangerous could happen in the pits.

If you want to bash MS, go ahead but at least use different examples. Other than the ones where you clear other driver of the same type of thing.

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I will definitely give you that one. A coworker of mine calls Kimi "the car breaker".

11. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Precisely.

12. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    That's pretty much how Enzo Ferrari referred to Gilles Villeneuve - he called him the Prince of Destruction. Look at how fondly he is remembered now - hell, GV is the only one who has a statue at the Ferrari factory.

13. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The recent rule changes to hinder Ferrari are clear. What exactly did Bernie and the FIA do to help Ferrari?

And that would have been a one shot deal if MS had not broke his leg.

So all teams have team orders... Nothing new. To blame one team for using them is nutty.

So making arrangements before a race with other teams to secure your championship isn't a problem? And allowing others to pass your drivers as "thanks", isn't a problem? What of team orders?! This is clearly more damaging when it comes to "rigging" races, is it not?

My point for your last two quotes is the longer you are in a professional sport the more fans you have and the more "non-fans" you have. More questionable things will happen because more time passes. Random things will pop up making you look bad, you'll make wrong choices etc.

Imagine Lewis Hamilton now. He has a short career and many people are fans. Look at what just happened with the cursing on the radio and all of the fuss at McLaren now. He's right in the middle of it. Look at the pit cluster-up, he's already been in more than his fair share of unpleasantness.

Imagine if he races for another 12 years, how many things he'll be involved in?

MS had a very long career and was passing a lot, driving a lot, talking a lot because he was good and everyone wanted a piece of him. If you total the good vs. the bad, it would be a better ratio than what Lewis Hamilton has right now. Only a handful of races and already a year full of fighting with the other driver, a team boss, a bull fight in the pits, talking to the press when he shouldn't about things he should not be revealing.

That's a long rap sheet for such a noob.

14. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No you will never see the end of it because he was and will be the benchmark for a long time to come just as there will always be the same 3 or 4 in here that will bash him every chance they get. Stretching infantile points into oblivious arguments. But never is there mention by them of all the good he has done for Ferrari and the sport. He treated everyone around him like family including the italian restaurant in italy where he would treat the entire team to dinners that he would cook in the back kitchen with the owners. And then there was the tsunami that killed hundreds of thousand last year where he quickly sent 1 million dollars to help out in the relief efforts. And it goes on and on and on. There are many who will never be happy with MS and the many good things hes done. Thats just the way it is and unfortunately always will be...

15. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    That's incorrect. He actually sent 10 Million. :) But I'm sure someone here will just say that makes him 10 times as much of an ****** by some twisted logic...

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    It's easy to be against something or someone. Much harder to be for something or someone.

All of us are human, less than perfect and have feet of clay. So I ask, if you don't like Schumi who is arguably the greatest auto racing driver of all time, who are you for???

What driver has done more for the sport?
    What driver has done more for Ferrari?

Please back up with data.

Forza Ferrari

17. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    +1 tired of seeing the same few people bash him as well

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I said it was wrong!, we are on the same page mate :). Doing something wrong is a problem IMO.
    Good point. Time will tell the true character of LH.

Pete

19. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i really do want to subscribe, thing is, i don't have a credit card... :)

20. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa

No problem. Senna3xWC will let you use his. :D

21. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    LoL! what bout your, Phil? :D :D

22. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

You're so funny..... who started this thread? - "Why isn't Alonso slammed the way MS was"

Your title states that- MS was slammed. I'm not bashing MS....I'm answering your question.

You're the guy giving MS a bashing by starting this thread after so much time has gone by, and instead of forgetting MS at his worst, you are keeping it alive with a thread that if answered keeps MS's shameful moment in the spotlight. LOL

Going on 600 views for a topic that most of us were willing to let fade into the past

23. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa

I don't have a credit card. Senna3xWC was gracious enough to let me use his. Great guy. Really. Handsome devil too. ;)

24. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    :D i'll keep that in mind. anything to say on ur side, Senna3xWC? when shall we seal the deal? :D

25. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    600 views in a couple of days... I'm not twisting anyone's arm to be here.

Also asking questions isn't slamming. No one has an entirely clean record no matter what they do, I just didn't hear a public outcry and I asked why.

It's a part of history, I must have seen a thousand crashes cross my computer screen in the last 10 years from racers who "got it wrong", it doesn't mean anyone is being kept in the "spotlight" in terms of a shaming.