Why is the Wii still hard to find??? | FerrariChat

Why is the Wii still hard to find???

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 8 SNAKE, Feb 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anyone know why the supply of the Wii still seems so limited? Is this being done intentionally by Nintendo or is there a shortage of parts or ???

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I really have no clue, but I think it's part of the marketing and they're doing so on purpose.

3. masterflex164

masterflex164 Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    Nintendo is doing this on purpose. They want to create Artificial demand.

If you need one, Mine's up for sale. pM me.

4. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I don't if this affects demand but they are being widely used in nursing homes. I walked into a bowling league last week.

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    It has got to be artificial demand. That product has been on backorder for over a year. Santa brought one to our home this year! Yeah!!!!
    :D
    BT

6. duc749R

duc749R Rookie

Aug 3, 2004
    San Francisco Bay Ar
    there are a bunch for sale in the SF bay area, if you need one pm me

7. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you for the kind offers. I'd like a Wii, but I'm not in any rush to buy one or pay to have one shipped from somewhere else. I do appreciate the willingness of others to help me with that, though. When I come across one in a store, I'll pick it up. I'm more curious about why the supply is so limited in a lot of areas.

It appears that Nintendo has adopted Ferrari's sales strategy quite well!

8. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I dont think it is an artificial shortage. Dont you think Nintendo would want to get all the Wii's they had out there to make their profits look really good? Dont forget its not just North America that wants a Nintendo Wii, its like everywhere that wants a Nintendo Wii. The CEO of Nintendo said that they were at capacity for production, and their trying their best to get them out there to the public. Its one of those things, you just have to keep hunting for one. Or wait. There are websites our there that will tell you when a Wii shows up at the online store of places like Best Buy.

9. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    With modern video games the console is sold with low margins, while the games are high margin. So there should be no benefit to an artificial shortage.

10. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Here you go, I logged in with bug me not because I hate signing up for stupid things, and I just changed the zip worked great
    http://www.itrackr.com/it_retail

11. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Apparently all the Best Buys had then yesterday. I wasn't able to get in line for one early enough, but a friend of mine in STL managed to snag one for me... Anyone else get one at BB yesterday?

12. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I don't think the demand is artificial. The wii appeals to a huge audience as opposed to the audience of the 'hardcore gamer' that the X360 and PS3 are marketed toward. The wii simply flies off shelves due to its price point and huge demand [which has yet to be met]. The PS3 and X30 have pretty much reached market saturation. To date, console sales are (approximations):

PS3: 8.5 m
    X360: 17.5m
    Wii: 20.5m

I was lucky enough to snag one before christmas '06, and i STILL havent ever seen one just lying around at any retail outlets.

Despite its subpar graphics as a 'next gen' console the wii has a lot going for it in the way of game interaction. If you guys haven't already seen it, a cornell compsci graduate student has been working on a bunch of different projects inspired by the wiimote, including head tracking, hand tracking, and a multi-touch interface, similar to the microsoft "surface".

Check out the videos here: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

if this stuff makes it into future wii games, the console will continue to fly off the shelves, if not sell better.