Why is NSX so fast? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Why is NSX so fast?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by PatrickShim, Mar 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

The Turbo is as much an Exotic as the NSX. Especially based on production figures where there is far, far less than a 10-1 ratio. The Turbo S, GT2 and GT3 are by far more exotic than the NSX. Frankly the exaggeration and snobbery that exists on this board is staggering at times. I see a 911 Turbo maybe once a week. I see NSXs just about as often. Hell I've seen a Panoz once in my life but I've seen Ferraris on the road many times. Does that make Panoz far more exotic than Ferrari? Both the 996TT and the NSX are rare. Either both are exotic or both are not. It comes down to pure personal preference.

Hell, more Ferraris seem to show up at Crystal Cove than Porsches. I suppose that means Porsches are far more exotic based on how many you see?

50 years from now, the Horned McLaren and the whatever Honda will be just as romanticized.

2. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie

If I may say so, the heritage of a car marque, while important in many regards, should not be the deciding factor in judging a particular model's merits. In general, Ferrari road cars are emotionally engaging, great to look at, and exciting to drive. Because of such, I am a proud owner of several of them. I do, however, respect the fact that a marque such as Honda was able to build the NSX which, as we all know, gave our boys in Maranello a wake up call in the early 90's. Yes, the NSX, as you've stated, deserves the recognition for its historical importance. It should also be credited for its engineering excellence (a true, well balanced everyday exotic/performance car). However, it is sad for me to admit that it does pale in comparison to the more modern performance cars that we have today.

If and when a new NSX becomes available, and assuming that Honda will have done justice to it, I might just be one of the proud owners of it...Again!

3. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Are you telling me that we have three 500+ rwhp NSX's in MO?

4. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne

Dude, you have to be kidding. In SB I see 996 Turbos at least 5 times more often than an NSX. Plus the NSX doesn't share its body style with anything. Any 996 version looks the same to any lay person.

More surprisingly, Vipers are just as or *more* rare than later model Ferraris(in SB).

5. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia

Here in Pleasanton/Bay Area I see about 5 nsx's to every Porsche turbo.

When i saved enough money i started looking at early NSX's, but lack of acceleration bothered me. Then I realized i could afford a Viper GTS sothat was what I got in the end.

6. yellowpad

yellowpad Karting

Feb 17, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    When is the argument is going to stop? If you are a true car enthusiast, you will appreciate every single one of them regardless of what they are. Every car has its uniqueness that differentiates from one another. Each has its own characteristic such as quality, marques, rarity, and so forth. One may want quality, the other may want uniqueness, and some may care for just ponies under the hood or trunk…..and so on. At the same token, the cost factor comes and plays a very important role with these features and uniqueness. At the end of the day, it comes down the extension of your wallet, what you can afford, and your preference. This is why we have a lot of members here with no Ferrari and there are those members here that drive 348, 355, 360, ENZO…and etc. Even Ferrari cars have their own character that differentiates from one another. You don’t see everyone owning an ENZO…do you? Anywho, I lost my train of thought and going out to stare at my garage now………. Smiling ear-to-ear :D I appreciate what I have, my preference, and what I can afford at the moment. You should too :D

7. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I sure hope you would not say the same thing about the current generation.

8. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Do you mean it's lack of acceleration, or lack of low-end TQ. The NSX is not really a "slow" accelerating car, but because of its powerband, it will never set you back in the seat like a viper or vette. It is deceptively fast. Anyway, it sounds like you got what you wanted with the the Viper GTS. The Viper GTS is an awesome car, but its lack of refinement and low quality materials turned me off. Still, if I had a huge garage, I would love to have one in it :)

9. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    1) It is an acura. So it should feel like one. Does the Ferrari not feel like a Ferrari?

2) Your experience with the NSX feeling less solid than a 348 is pretty rare from what I have read. But, like you said, you have owned them all, and many have not. I have never driven a 348, so I cannot really comment. I have been for hot laps in a GT3 and it blew me away! WOW. Amazing car.

10. Esprit

Esprit Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CA
    My experience owning a 2003 NSX, 2000 Esprit V8, 1989SE Esprit, a '96 F355(very short time) and now a 1995 Esprit S4S & '05 WRX STI. Here are my experiences/opinions:

Performance
    1) 1995 Esprit S4S / '00 V8TT are tied in performance
    2) '03 NSX
    3) '96 F355 / '05 WRX STI
    4) 1989 Esprit SE

Interior
    1) '03 NSX
    2) V8TT / F355
    3) '95 S4S Esprit
    4) '05 WRX STI
    5) '89SE Esprit

Reliability
    1) '03 NSX
    2) '05 WRX STI
    3) '95 S4S Esprit
    4) '00 V8TT Esprit
    5) '89SE Esprit
    6) '96 F355

Rare/Exotic/Gets Looks
    1) '00V8TT Esprit
    2) '95 S4S Esprit
    3) F355
    4) '89 SE Esprit
    5) '03 NSX

23) '05 WRX STI

11. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So, to wrap it all up....

The NSX is the most exotic car you can buy for $25 - $55k

The NSX is a better light-weight, handling car, with great feel, compared to the bigger and heavier Vette or Viper.

The NSX's mid engine design is more exotic than a Mitsubishi or Supra, or Z

The NSX has a more exotic look than the WRX STI

And the NSX is comfortable and big enough to drive every day, unlike the newest Lotus

Since only 1% of the Automotive world is Ferrari...
    People in the $25k - $50k range, love the the NSX because it gives them a huge smile on their face
    as the best exotic experience without the worries of a $27k repair bill from a used Testarosa or 355 lingering in the back of their minds.

Unless you are driving your 328 or 348 to work and using it as your "every day car" the NSX is also nice in-that you only have to have one car. Drive the NSX to work 365 days a year, and then drive to the track on the weekend. No need for a second daily drive if you live in a city or beach condo where parking is a problem.

NSX gets a lot of post on Ferrari chat because its the best entry level car to the exotic world.

12. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
  13. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Sorry, I should've made clear that I was referring to the styling of the exteriors. This doesn't apply to the current run btw.