Why is NSX so fast? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why is NSX so fast?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by PatrickShim, Mar 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

The NSX was designed not only to take on the Viper but the Toyota Supra as well.

2. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO

4. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    I bought the NSX book years ago when I was planning to buy a used NSX3.0, I must say the design is phenomenal. Pity it didn't translate into sales figures. I wonder why?

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Simple answer in Aust, too damn expensive. Priced half way between the 911 and 355.

6. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    In austrailia, the NSX costs $270,000! Simply insane!

7. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I have always loved the NSX and had 2 in the past ('92 and '99 Zanardi #7).

On drivability/Balance - There are few cars that have achieved the engineering balance that the NSX has. The NSX's design and development were greatly influenced by the great, late Ayrton Senna. Senna's involvement in the car's development, I believe, was more than Schumacher's with the Enzo. The car is truly fantasticly well balanced and very easy to drive. A novice driver (me) can push it towards its limits without difficulties.

On speed - The second generation (3.2/v6) with the 6-speed is faster than the 1st generation (3.0/v6 with 5-speed). I'm guessing that the 3.2/v6 will still hold its own on a track against many others not because of its sheer power, but because of its overall balance. Honda is known for their perfect gear box and I must say that the NSX has the best gear box that I have ever experienced. However, on paper and in today's standards, the power and speed of the NSX seem to have been eclipsed by many cars costing less.

On the next generation NSX - It remains an uncertainty. I personally believe that hold back has been partly due to the lack luster performance of the BAR Honda Formula One team for the past several years. Honda would want to introduce this new version concurrently with their successes in Formula One, much the same way as it did with the first generation NSX with McLaren Honda and Ayrton Senna back when they were the dominant team in Formula One. The hold back is probably also due to the already crowded field in this market segment and the thought of having another failed model, in financial terms, is too much for Tokyo to bear...

8. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    From everything I have read, I would say the NSX-2 or HSC or whatever is not going to be produced at this time. Who know's with Honda though. They are very secretive. It could come out tomorrow and nobody would know until 12:01am.

As far as the HSC was concerned, I think Honda realized that if they realised another supercar with a 300HP V6, that they would be laughed at unless it weighed like 2400lbs!

To compete today, the nextgen NSX needs at least 400-450HP.

The current car could actually be very competitive again today with just a few changes.
    1. bigger brakes
    2. 400HP through supercharging
    3. updated interior.

Thats it.

9. qirex

qirex Rookie

Nov 2, 2004
    Yeah its so sad how honda has allowed the nsx to age.

Netviper hit the three thing it needs on the head.

I almost bought an 02 NSX (bought a 01 996TT). While i could easily have thrown down 10K to S/C it..the idea of no warrantee really killed it all.
    Have power, check, have brakes check, throw a nice computer thingie and they would be set. I certainly would have bought one.

Whenever i see a post re: somebody buying a *brand new* NSX for $89K, i have to admit that it brings a tear to my eye. There's a difference between exclusive and bad. All the NSX fans love pointing out how pontiac aztecs there are on the road....

10. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    What does that have to do with the league it's performance is in?

11. imsten.com

imsten.com Rookie

Mar 28, 2005
    MIZZOU-RAH
    in reply to the first post.

having owned a couple of them, they really aren't that quick
    compared to other sports cars.

i think the power is certainly VERY smooth and
    it sort-of tricks you because you don't realize you are
    going 75 in 3rd gear, but all of a sudden you are.

The NSX is a good looking car with some good power,
    but for the money there are MUCH faster cars

(not to mention the little annoying things that go wrong with the nsx...
    windows, bose stereo, air conditioning compressor etc)

for 25-30K a nice 1991 NSX might be one of the most flashy and
    "get a second look in traffic" cars...

i really liked the ones i had -

but i want a ferrari now ;)

(which is why i'm here)

12. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I guess I saw league meaning class or stature. Performance wise, the C6 is faster. No question. I really like the C6. I would like to drive one. Silly dealerships in my area are charging a 10K markup! What a RIP!

13. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    When is the last time you saw a honda with any kind of forced induction? Much less something as low-tech and inefficient as a supercharger (if you did, in fact mean a belt-driven compressor). Honda may be coming out with a new turbo engine, but the next NSX has more chance of a being a hybrid than sporting a vortec. Otherwise, spot on. :)

14. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie

Like you, I owned 2 NSX's in the past. Unlike you, I experienced none of the annoying things you mentioned (window, stereo, etc). I guess I was lucky. Anyway, if you'd thought those "annoying things" which happened to you on your NSX's bothered you (window, Bose,etc.), wait till you get the Ferrari...I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a Ferrari. Rather, I'm simply pointing out that, in general, Ferraris will have far more "quirks" than the NSX. Then again, you probably know that already. Good luck in getting the Ferrari of your choice. I'll say the "emotion" or the "passion" from driving/owning a Ferrari is something that the NSX experience will not match.

15. imsten.com

imsten.com Rookie

Mar 28, 2005
    MIZZOU-RAH
    LEE

actually i DONT know about the quirks

is there a good thread or topic going on now
    about them?

i'm interested in a 348 TS or
    355 Berlinetta in the future.

that's why i'm here - to LEARN what i might
    be getting into!

ANY HELP and advice would be awesome !:)

16. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie

There are many threads discussing various issues pertaining to 348 and 355. You can read through them in their respective forums. In many cases, the titles of these threads will identify the problem areas pertaining to these two models.

In general, you need to prepare yourself in terms of the cost associated with owning either the 348 or the 355. If you're used to the cost of maintaining/repairing an NSX at your local Acura dealer, the Ferrari will cost you several times more. It isn't simply about being able to afford the purchase price of the Ferrari...

17. imsten.com

imsten.com Rookie

Mar 28, 2005
    MIZZOU-RAH
    yeah i'm starting to learn that.

i've really only owned easy to maintain cars

(except for the RX-7s, i actually sold those
    because i was worried about them going bad on me) :)

i'll do some searches

thanks!

18. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't think you would be happy with a 348 vs your NSX. A 355 would be a much better choice. Take a read on nsxfiles.com for some nsx'ers experience with 355's. Best of luck. I love the 355.

19. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    SCs low-tech? Since when were turbos hi-tech? By the way, the only Honda product I've seen that's been TCed was a wave-runner. I think it produced more hp and tq then the Civic when it was released a cpl of yrs ago.

20. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I find it interesting that the one who started this thread has not made a post since...
    Yes the NSX was a great car, for its time. I still admire the styling but it is simply outdated now. Sad to say it but with my own eyes I've seen in the Redneck country of Florida tricked out Dodge Rams and Viper Trucks way waste to the former 90's icon. If I recall didn't they have an auto version with very poor 0-60 times and possibly a F1 type shifter in the later AZ version? I remember Senna being one of the figures for promotion, ( as stated in Adrianne Galisteau's book and the now defunct Bernie led magazine "F1." ) Senna? After Mansell, JV, Hill, Mika, Arrows, Jaguar, Jordan Shuey doesn't that glorious time seem ancient as well?

RocketBoy

PS: No the NSX wasn't made to compete against the Supra or Viper. Maybe in aftermarket street racing years later but not by design or factory intent.

21. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    For NSX's current pricing, it's just not appealing car. The look is outdated, although Honda's intention is to keep its look as tradition for NSX.

In Japan, I read & heard Japanese Automakers change the look of cars too much, that people cannot guess what the original model looked like. It's true their consumer cycle is short for cars.
    Judge4Re can make a comment on this since he's in the business.

Makers like M-B & Jaguar keep its tradition in appearance of cars, they say.

After saying the above, I still respect Honda's gut to keep NSX on their production line though.

22. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie

You're correct that the NSX was not made to compete with the Viper, Supra. It was Honda's vision to create the NSX as a world class sports car to take on the European exotics, namely Ferrari (328/348 and later the 355) and Porsche (911).

The Alex Zanardi edition (49 available out of 50. #1 went to Alex himself) has the traditional 6-speed. There were no F1 paddles on that car.

I think Senna did more than just promoting the car. I thought he actually participated in the car's developmental process.

I also agree with the perception that the NSX looks outdated. However, the car remains one of my all time favorites for its balance and dependability.

Honda (Acura) must have learned a very valuable lesson: The car's association with a high profile driver figure does not automatically equate success for that model (NSX - Senna, Zanardi and last year, Button in Japan promoting the NSX-R). The association with Honda's own successes with the various race series doesn't seem to help much either (1988 F1 record of 15 wins out of 16 and Champ Car double world champions in '98 and '99 with Zanardi as the driver). Perhaps these circumstances, among others, are what's holding Honda back in introducing the replacement for the NSX...

23. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am sure the 280HP limit has something to do with it also. Now that that is no longer the case, I would expect Honda to create at least 400HP in the next car.

It is sad when your $49K Sedan makes more power than your $90K sports car.

24. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    It's not that SCs are necessarily low-tech, but consider that their most popular applications are found on 240 HP 3.8 GM V6s. Just look at those figures and tell me that a SC is the best way to make power in a supercar.

Turbos, on the other hand have undergone a lot of development in the past couple decades because they are inherently more efficient and easier to install and tune.

Honda, to my knowledge has never sent a forced-induction car to the US. They had some turbos in Japan, and they have made a turbo motorcycle, and the waverunner you mentioned, which indeed is very powerful.

Honda cars, though, have been predominantly defined by their high-rpm NA engines - even in racing while their competion was turbocharging, and I don't think that will change anytime soon.

PS: I think a 3.5L V6/8 with ~400 HP @ 8500 RPMs would be about right for the next NSX. Torque be damned - like a real race car. ;)

25. Poweredbyme91

Poweredbyme91 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2004
    Now in San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Hector Silva
    I totally agree. And the NSX-R is pretty quick around the track. Im sure many of you have seen this video before but for those haven't here it is.

http://www.runeb.org/www_docs/Jexoticasite/soundandvideo/Best_Motoring-SuperCar_Race.mpg

Great video of NSX-R racing around a track with a Murci, GT2 and a few other exotics and stays up with them. I think he ends up 3 or 4th place out. Not bad.

BTW, I think the NSX is a gorgeous car. I totally disagree on the looks looking outdated.