Why is nobody bidding on this 1991 t convertible? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why is nobody bidding on this 1991 t convertible?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by drbruno, Sep 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Well said, Hank.

After chasing a Mondial for five years, I can tell you that the satisfaction of buying "the right one" is sublime.

And unless you are of substantial means, the regret of buying "the wrong one" is awful, especially if the wife finds out, lol.
    Alden

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #27 paulchua, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    I assume (which I know can make an ASS out of U and ME) reading from the listing that the car *may* have had the customary issues that need to be resolved.

Since the seller conspicuously left out the time period since his last 30K, I assert it probably requires it. That's 5K-10K additional cost at least. I've found that most Mondials need another 5K at least in general refurbishment.

It makes this car a 45-50K proposition....I think that's the main barrier....45-50K is is too close to numerous relatively pristine 50+K Mondials with no stories and impeccable service history/documentation with lower miles.

I think the strategy here would have been to price it at 29K...it would have been a quick sell.

Just my humble opinion.

;)

3. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    You guys were lucky to learn to drive stick shifts in such great cars. I learned on a 1932 Ford Sedan when I was 10 years old on the back roads of Minnesota. Then graduated to a 1939 Chevolet on the back roads of Wisconsin hunting with my Dad.

4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I haven't followed this too closely, but I guess it depends on what the stories are. I guess I have a slightly different view.

Every Mondial needs care and feeding ($$$) even "no story" cars. Maintenance is just part of the "charm". So if this is a $50k car fully sorted and no stories ( how many other 4 seater mid engine convertibles do you know of?), then why not a $35k car that you invest $10-15k in so you know exactly what has been done? I understand the $15k may not be a top number as there could be unknowns, but even a pristine car can have an issue (compressor takes a dump, rear main seal starts leaking, and we won't even discuss electrics!). So what if you end up with $55k in a car that is worth $50k? You are now driving the car, and you are not spending time looking at others. No one is buying these as an investment (even if it turns out that way).

I got what was a pretty pristine car. Paid a fair market price I have added a Dave Helms fusebox, redone the electric shock control units, replaced one of the control units for one bank of cylinders(can't remember the Ferrari name for the part at the moment), etc. All par for the course. I have absolutely no regrets about my purchase, repairs or upgrades (new tires, steering wheel spacer, period correct radio, new speakers, etc.; you get the idea). Any car you want to look and run good needs attention, just some more than others.

Everyone wants a good deal, or at least a good car at a fair price. But in the meantime it seems lots of guys looking are sitting back waiting for the perfect car instead of getting a car and making it good. All those years of looking, and none of those years driving.

There has to be a balance. It took me about 2-3 years, but I was looking for a needle in a haystack (1 of 43) which rarely come on the market. If I was looking for a cab, I am sure I would have found one within a year.

Happy hunting to those still searching and not yet driving......

Regards.
    Jerry

5. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

I think $10k~$15k in the budget is reasonable.

I would much prefer to pay the additional $10~15k myself and know that the car is done up properly.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #31 paulchua, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Jonathan/Jerry - excellent points sirs. I personally of course echo most your sentiments, however I do believe we are in the minority. I see many looking to the Mondial as they have for the past 10-15 years: as 'bargain' Ferrari cars unworthy of premiums of its stable mates of the same era (exception perhaps of the 400/412 and previously 308 GT4).

The question posed was why this car had no bids...in a way the same question can be asked why say a 35K mile Mondial t listed for say $45-$50K on ebay (fully sorted) would likely not have people chomping at the bit to bid as well.

The time for the Mondial is not here yet gentlemen, it seems that the 308 GT4 is the current spotlight. I have no doubt in 10-15 years time, the Mondial will spike...maybe sooner.

Just my honest opinion.

P.S.
    my joke about the word 'assume' = AssUme may have been taken the wrong way - I meant that in a self deprecating manner.

:)

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I remember when you couldn't give these things away...and just a short time ago too (5-6 years ago) when I first was shopping for my first Ferrari...

Now:

Ferrari 308 GT4 | eBay

Ferrari 308 | eBay

The time will come for the Mondial...the time will come...

8. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Thanks Paul for taking me back many years. As a freshman in law school, my professor posed a question to me that didn't have a clear cut answer. I responded that I assumed........ He immediately slammed his fist on the lectern and broke the word down for me. Haven't used it since!!

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    HAHAHA - dude - that's how I got introduced to that breakdown - A prof clowned me too!!!

ROFL

10. Milkyboy

Milkyboy Karting

Jun 23, 2015
    Interesting to see how geography might give different perspectives. I'm UK based. Mondials are more expensive in Europe (though asking prices are all over the place). servicing, in the UK at least, seems a bit cheaper. I'm looking at potentially importing a 3.2 or t cab from the states. I'd be buying blind with a ppi, so I'd have to factor in a chunk for maintenance. I'd probably err to taking the saving on the purchase price and service it here in the UK but i'm open minded about it.

If I wait till next year I can look for an 86 3.2 and save myself 20% vat under the 30 year rule. But even paying the Vat it's currently cheaper than buying over here.

However, If I wanted a coupe I think I'd be buying this side of the pond. There's plenty available and they're cheaper than cabs.

Would any U.S. guys after a t coupe not look in Europe... Where most of them went, rather than wait years for a good one to come up... Or do the import costs make it a complete none-starter?

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Kinda depends state by state...here in California- it's super tough to import overseas and register a car. Yeah - Mondials here are relatively cheap compared to Europe. Factor in the pound to dollar exchange rate, and it's mind blowing....

12. Milkyboy

Milkyboy Karting

Jun 23, 2015
    UK buyers will pay a premium for RHD, (it doesn't bother Me in the slightest where the steering wheel is as long as it's inside the car). Even allowing for that I considered a t cab with c 50k miles which went for £43k at an auction in June. That seemed toppy. It's since on with a dealer at £79k, yes you read that correctly and I am talking pounds. Hasn't sold, can't think why.

Be interesting to see if the softening of prices on most 'average mileage' ferraris seen at Monterey ripples across the pond

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Ah, but from a different perspective... our team embraced the word because, to assume meant that we were in it together. In other words, "If this strategy doesn't work then we're both a couple of asses. ;)

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    OMG, nobody has yet stated that "assume", can be construed to mean ............ "assume the position". I hear that every year when I go for my physical.

Just a bit of (slightly) off color fun. But it's alway good to know the "back story" of current linguistic intent.

Have a great weekend,

Hank

15. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Simple the car is priced too high especially in light of the fact that it needs a FULL service. And that's not cheap on a T.

16. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Really? It looks to be less than a $1000 difference over a 3.2 for a major service. Hardly enough to get excited over.

From FTB:

308 - $5,300
    328 - $5,300
    355 - $5,800
    Mondial - $5,800
    Mondial T - $6,200

Once the motor is out, it is actually easier to work on.

Regards,
    Jerry

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #42 paulchua, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Funny nod toward Mondial owners in Boldride.com

These Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Maserati Car Values are Soaring

For all the Dino owners who were once told that their car wasn’t a true Ferrari…this comes as sweet, sweet revenge. The V6-engined Dino 246 GT is certifiably still gorgeous looking, and now a lot more expensive. Concours-level examples come valued at $350,000. Take that, Ferrari Mondial owners.