Why is my trailer more stable at 60-65 than 50-55? | FerrariChat

Why is my trailer more stable at 60-65 than 50-55?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Sandy Eggo, Jul 31, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Question for you physics majors or truckers...

Why is my tow vehicle and trailer more stable at 60-65 when it gets all nervous and sway happy at 50-55? Seems more speed would make the swaying worse but it is quite the opposite. Any good explanations out there?

Fwiw, I'm pulling a 7,000 lb trailer (26 ft) with weight distribution hitch and sway control bar. Tow vehicle is 2010 Navigator with tow package.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Harmonics.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #3 ryalex, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
    Also, possibly tire and wheel balances could be off slightly causing gyration. When a wheel is out of balance it may shake or shudder within a range of speeds (rotations) but that effect dissipates at lower or higher speed.

4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston

^^^^^This, start easy and check your tire pressures, but sounds like a wheel weight or balance issue.

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    It's also possible that the aereodynamics are better at one speed than another.

CW

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    ...which when off only slighly results in very noticeable vibrations due do the manifestation of...

7. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Tongue weight is going negative for some reason; probably due to aerodynamic forces. When tongue weight is negative trailer will start to fishtail but if you apply acceleration it will overcome the fishtail. I would check into that possibility.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Which you can check with a handy harmonica.

9. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks for all the replies.

I'm thinking it's a combination of aerodynamics and possibly the "harmonics" theory.

The tire pressures are good and wheel balance seems to be fine - I know the feeling of an out of balance tire/wheel and this ain't it.

During the 1,000 miles of towing I did this past week, I noticed that it wasn't always so much about the speed I was traveling but also the wind speed/direction played a big role.

Maybe the best idea is to just buy a truck and forget about it! :D